Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Should I make the switch? K702 to HD800?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I make the switch? K702 to HD800?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I love everything my AKG K702 does, its probably the longest headphones I've owned out of my inventory of headphones.

- Even compared to newer headphones I've been getting, the AKG K702 seem always to be used most.  

k701smile.gif

Now I'm thinking should I make the move to the Sennheiser HD800 now, whilst selling all the headphones I have, to fund for the purchase for the HD800. (possibly keeping the K702 whilst I compare them side by side to see if there really is much difference, then sell which one I prefer). 

Also would like you to bear in mind I'll be using the M-Stage still.. with the E17 as my DAC. Shouldn't be too bad should it?

 

What do you think? Is it worth the change. to change these headphones (does the HD800 improve on everything of the K702?)
It's the 'soundstage' that I love the most on these headphones (imaging, depth, width - basically speaker like headphones, that I like)


Thanks 

wink.gif
 


Edited by Mikesin - 10/19/12 at 4:08pm
post #2 of 11

Well I  only heard the  hd800.

Most people would shout that's a blasphemy, but I  found the hd800 enjoyable from a Xonar STX.

 

You could try the M-Stage + E17  combination with hd800, and if it disturb you to not have the "best"  source for hd800, you could upgrade it later.

 

The hd800 will provide you an almost "speaker" like soundstage, and very clean sound.

Since I  didn't hear the K702 (or K701) I  can tell you there are two camps:

 

- those that say that the k701/k702  sucks and say  the hd800 is awesome (just look at unkle eric reviews)

- those that say that the hd800 is better , but not miles ahead of the k701/k702

 

Frankly I'm suspecting that if you already like your k702, you'd find a bit hard to justify the price of hd800 , even if you ** notice ** an improvement. So do you want to save your money, or want something "better" , regardless of the cost it's up to you.

 

The best would be to test the hd800 before buying them.

post #3 of 11
Hi,

I cannot speak to your amps, but I can speak to the switch that you're contemplating. I actually have kept both for now. The AKG K 702 are very good headphones and are in the same analytical, highly resolving camp as the Sennheiser HD800. The Sennheiser's in my opinion are indeed better headphones. I find the HD800s to be:

- less attenuated <50 Hz with overall more resolving bass presentation
- more resolving in presenting subtle details within the music
- large soundstage like the AKGs but more coherent & more precise instrument placement
- more comfortable to wear for long periods of time

My impression is that for $300, the K702s get you 90% of the HD800 for $1,500. The last 10% of benefit in most things is always is expensive. That being said, I really enjoy the Sennheiser's and I am glad I own them. Many others will have the opinion that the differences between them is larger than 10%, but the small changes of improvement are difficult to come by beyond a certain point. People tell me that they are more scaleable than the AKGs with better equipment. My rig is pretty good but I am in the process of upgrading a few things.

If you love hearing more details in your music and headphones that image really well make you happy; you will adore the HD800s. Just don't expect them to be 5x better than your AKGs. Better yes, more comfortable yes, but not 5x better IMO. I am not speaking badly about the the HD800s but well of the K702s.

My $.02,

Bob
post #4 of 11
I have the 701s that were my go to hps for several years. The 800s do indeed take it a step further. The soundstage is better, the depth of details is remarkable. I prefer both on tube amps though as it homogenizes that hyperdetailed presentation into a full sonic presentation. The 800s have the additional benefit of quality bass without EQ.

The comfort of the 800s are not matched either. Very light with the seal well away from your ear.

My brother was visiting the last couple days and I have the luck to have the 800s in with the HE-6s. I had the 701s connected to the SP Extreme and it was like half the music was missing. Connecting the 800s certainly impressed us.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

Looks like the way forward for a true upgrade to the K702 is the HD800 then, may just end up going for this route.. 
All my other headphones are literally unused now, maybe apart from the HE400 which does get used now and again. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

I cannot speak to your amps, but I can speak to the switch that you're contemplating. I actually have kept both for now.

 

iim7V7IM7 - why have you kept both, if the HD800 are far better blink.gif , especially when their very similar?

post #6 of 11

Go for HD 800 then ;)

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesin View Post

iim7V7IM7 - why have you kept both, if the HD800 are far better blink.gif , especially when their very similar?

 

You might have missed the part where he said :"My impression is that for $300, the K702s get you 90% of the HD800 for $1,500.".

 

Here are some cons for the hd800:

- super tangling cable

- cups made of metallic mesh that looks a bit weak (even if I  didn't hear any report of people damaging the cups)

- people reporting that the paint can go away. Yep some of the  gray in the cups is painted plastic.

 

Even if the hd800 is better than your k702, you might from time to time be a bit  nervous  by putting 1500$ in your head.

If  you are not doing some CRITICAL LISTENNING , you might not even notice the difference with the k702.

That's why still having a backup headphone is still interesting.

post #8 of 11

Yes, just do it.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesin View Post

Looks like the way forward for a true upgrade to the K702 is the HD800 then, may just end up going for this route.. 

All my other headphones are literally unused now, maybe apart from the HE400 which does get used now and again. 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

I cannot speak to your amps, but I can speak to the switch that you're contemplating. I actually have kept both for now.

iim7V7IM7 - why have you kept both, if the HD800 are far better blink.gif  , especially when their very similar?

Don't look for logic here...selling HF and cables takes activation energy!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

You might have missed the part where he said :"My impression is that for $300, the K702s get you 90% of the HD800 for $1,500.".

Here are some cons for the hd800:
- super tangling cable
- cups made of metallic mesh that looks a bit weak (even if I  didn't hear any report of people damaging the cups)
- people reporting that the paint can go away. Yep some of the  gray in the cups is painted plastic.

Even if the hd800 is better than your k702, you might from time to time be a bit  nervous  by putting 1500$ in your head.
If  you are not doing some CRITICAL LISTENNING , you might not even notice the difference with the k702.
That's why still having a backup headphone is still interesting.

You will notice the difference...10% isn't that subtle.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

I know! I've been wanting to sell my M50's for nearly a year now. (only month after I had them!). Since then they have just been sitting in their carrying case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post


Don't look for logic here...selling HF and cables takes activation energy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Should I make the switch? K702 to HD800?