580V is the bias voltage, which is different to the voltage swing the amp can produce...
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 11/12/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 11/12/12
- productSennheiser HE60 electrostatic headphonetagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-404 Limited Edition electrostatic earspeakertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productWoo Audio GEStagged by System, 11/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- Are grados the best headphones for rock music? Will i need a headphone amp to reach there full... Last post on 10/6/12 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Setup for < $700 Last post on 7/22/12 at 2:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser Orpheus Last post on 4/8/11 at 5:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax?? Last post on 7/28/10 at 2:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Design/durability: Stellar build quality is one of the highlights of the Rockets. Pretty much every feature of it seems indestructible. The L-shaped jack seems very sturdy and has enough strain...
Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. - Page 2post #16 of 6110/20/12 at 11:41pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 6110/21/12 at 3:19am
Yeah, bias voltage and voltage swing are very different things. The bias sets the potential for the drivers to operate and it always fixed for that headphone. It's also DC hence the + marking before the number. The amps voltage swing tells how much signal voltage the amp can output and that's AC. This depends on the drive voltages, the active parts inside and how much loss is in the circuit (RP of the tubes etc.). This is also tied to the max input of the amp and it's gain but one important note, the voltage swing says nothing about the actual performance of the amp. There are quite a few examples of amps being able to swing the same voltage (and being similar in general design) but one is terrible with high distortion and other nasty artifacts but the other measures perfectly. The voltage swing also says zip about the output current at hand and thus the load tolerance of the output stage.post #18 of 6110/21/12 at 3:28ampost #19 of 6110/21/12 at 11:39ampost #20 of 6110/21/12 at 2:55pmpost #21 of 6110/21/12 at 2:55pmQuote:
It would be nice for you Massi if Justin started building the KGSS again, but I'm not sure he'll ever build that kind of amp again. He might eventually do the KGSSHV, but I'm guessing it'll be quite a bit more than $2000.post #22 of 6110/21/12 at 3:43pmpost #23 of 6110/21/12 at 4:26pm
The market for this is so small that I don't think any of the China manufacturers will be interested. I think we can all imagine that an Audio gd type company could produce a great amp for this budget, but they won't because of the limited potential sales. I think the only way to get this done at a reasonable price would be to do it as a group buy, maybe 25 members. If it was possible to get that many willing to go in then it may be possible to find someone to make a run. I would be in for sure.post #24 of 6110/21/12 at 6:10pmpost #25 of 6110/21/12 at 7:10pmQuote:
Just curious, why do you feel that your GES is inferior to a Stax amp? Have you compared them directly?post #26 of 6110/21/12 at 7:13pmQuote:
Updated pricing is $3500 first run, probably $4000 after that.post #27 of 6110/21/12 at 7:29pmpost #28 of 6110/21/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I really think the pricing we see for this sort of amp is based on very limited production. As any reasonable business had to make a profit for their effort there is not much room for profit in such small production runs unless they jack up the price. I wonder how much an iPhone would cost if they were only making 1000? There is no way the actual material cost on one of these amps justifies $3-4000 cost. The market is just too small. Let's imagine that there was a very good electrostatic amp available for $2k. How many do you think you could sell?post #29 of 6110/21/12 at 7:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chodi
I really think the pricing we see for this sort of amp is based on very limited production. As any reasonable business had to make a profit for their effort there is not much room for profit in such small production runs unless they jack up the price. I wonder how much an iPhone would cost if they were only making 1000? There is no way the actual material cost on one of these amps justifies $3-4000 cost. The market is just too small. Let's imagine that there was a very good electrostatic amp available for $2k. How many do you think you could sell?
you're right that limited production is a huge factor, but really all headphone amps would be considered limited production - electrostatic amps are extremely limited. In the case of the BHSE, cost of raw parts is around $2500, and well over $3000 with the Alps RK50 volume control. This doesnt include $10k spent on extrusion dies or prototype enclosure parts, either. The amps that Stax makes at $2k are actually pretty good, though.post #30 of 6110/21/12 at 7:53pm
Comparing an iPhone's production to any product in the high-end market is ludicrous due to the difference in volume.
Eddie Current gear has one of the lower markups in the cottage industry considering time and materials. Justin's markups are also very reasonable, percentage-wise.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/21/12 at 7:54pm
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Great news for rooted android users--Viper4Android 22 seconds ago
- › smaller power friendly pc speakers that sound good? 27 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 33 seconds ago
- › OPPO Introduces Sonica: A $299 High Fidelity Wi-Fi Speaker 1 minute ago
- › FiiO Releases the X7 Standard Edition (Without Amp Module) 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Noble Audio Kaiser K10UA universal aluminum by Saraguie
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...