580V is the bias voltage, which is different to the voltage swing the amp can produce...
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 11/12/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 11/12/12
- productSennheiser HE60 electrostatic headphonetagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-404 Limited Edition electrostatic earspeakertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productWoo Audio GEStagged by System, 11/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- Are grados the best headphones for rock music? Will i need a headphone amp to reach there full... Last post on 10/6/12 at 4:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Setup for < $700 Last post on 7/22/12 at 2:07am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser Orpheus Last post on 4/8/11 at 5:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax?? Last post on 7/28/10 at 2:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an unprecedented...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. - Page 2post #16 of 6110/20/12 at 11:41pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 6110/21/12 at 3:19am
Yeah, bias voltage and voltage swing are very different things. The bias sets the potential for the drivers to operate and it always fixed for that headphone. It's also DC hence the + marking before the number. The amps voltage swing tells how much signal voltage the amp can output and that's AC. This depends on the drive voltages, the active parts inside and how much loss is in the circuit (RP of the tubes etc.). This is also tied to the max input of the amp and it's gain but one important note, the voltage swing says nothing about the actual performance of the amp. There are quite a few examples of amps being able to swing the same voltage (and being similar in general design) but one is terrible with high distortion and other nasty artifacts but the other measures perfectly. The voltage swing also says zip about the output current at hand and thus the load tolerance of the output stage.post #18 of 6110/21/12 at 3:28ampost #19 of 6110/21/12 at 11:39ampost #20 of 6110/21/12 at 2:55pmpost #21 of 6110/21/12 at 2:55pmQuote:
It would be nice for you Massi if Justin started building the KGSS again, but I'm not sure he'll ever build that kind of amp again. He might eventually do the KGSSHV, but I'm guessing it'll be quite a bit more than $2000.post #22 of 6110/21/12 at 3:43pmpost #23 of 6110/21/12 at 4:26pm
The market for this is so small that I don't think any of the China manufacturers will be interested. I think we can all imagine that an Audio gd type company could produce a great amp for this budget, but they won't because of the limited potential sales. I think the only way to get this done at a reasonable price would be to do it as a group buy, maybe 25 members. If it was possible to get that many willing to go in then it may be possible to find someone to make a run. I would be in for sure.post #24 of 6110/21/12 at 6:10pmpost #25 of 6110/21/12 at 7:10pmQuote:
Just curious, why do you feel that your GES is inferior to a Stax amp? Have you compared them directly?post #26 of 6110/21/12 at 7:13pmQuote:
Updated pricing is $3500 first run, probably $4000 after that.post #27 of 6110/21/12 at 7:29pmpost #28 of 6110/21/12 at 7:39pmQuote:
I really think the pricing we see for this sort of amp is based on very limited production. As any reasonable business had to make a profit for their effort there is not much room for profit in such small production runs unless they jack up the price. I wonder how much an iPhone would cost if they were only making 1000? There is no way the actual material cost on one of these amps justifies $3-4000 cost. The market is just too small. Let's imagine that there was a very good electrostatic amp available for $2k. How many do you think you could sell?post #29 of 6110/21/12 at 7:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chodi
I really think the pricing we see for this sort of amp is based on very limited production. As any reasonable business had to make a profit for their effort there is not much room for profit in such small production runs unless they jack up the price. I wonder how much an iPhone would cost if they were only making 1000? There is no way the actual material cost on one of these amps justifies $3-4000 cost. The market is just too small. Let's imagine that there was a very good electrostatic amp available for $2k. How many do you think you could sell?
you're right that limited production is a huge factor, but really all headphone amps would be considered limited production - electrostatic amps are extremely limited. In the case of the BHSE, cost of raw parts is around $2500, and well over $3000 with the Alps RK50 volume control. This doesnt include $10k spent on extrusion dies or prototype enclosure parts, either. The amps that Stax makes at $2k are actually pretty good, though.post #30 of 6110/21/12 at 7:53pm
Comparing an iPhone's production to any product in the high-end market is ludicrous due to the difference in volume.
Eddie Current gear has one of the lower markups in the cottage industry considering time and materials. Justin's markups are also very reasonable, percentage-wise.
Edited by Radio_head - 10/21/12 at 7:54pm
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Watts Up...? 4 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 8 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC 12 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Flagship ciem reload ! 12 minutes ago
- › Transform your Journey - Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless headphones... 14 minutes ago
- › FS: Hifiman Edition S 14 minutes ago
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...