Sorry it has been a long time but I finally gave in to my base instincts and opened up the teac unit to take a look at the inner workings of the dac. Frankly I was surprised at how substantial the build quality is on this unit for its modest cost. Even with its substantial end caps removed this unit is pretty heavy and very stoutly constructed for a unit that only retails for 849 usd. I also tried to locate a fuse within the unit. Damn if I can find one I did not see any fuse at least one that I can find within the unit. If there is a fuse in this unit teac did a great job concealing it. I saw another post with in this posting that said another person could not locate a fuse within the unit either. So I am not the only one who could not locate a fuse inside the well populated volume within this very substantially built unit. Damn I had hoped for a good bump in the units performance by upgrading the fuse but if there is no fuse that is not going to happen.
The one thing that I can say about this unit after ten months of use that it definitely is at its best when you use the balanced outputs. The sound is decent from its single ended inputs but it performs noticeably better when you use the balanced outputs.