Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You will get sick of head-fi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You will get sick of head-fi - Page 11

post #151 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

Something to remember - at the end of the day it's about the music and not the gear.

 

 

That's what I used to think in the beginning. 

But if one enjoys collecting headphones, seeing how gear compare and compete with each other, challenging their listening abilities when trying out different dac's/amps/IEM's, witnessing subtle improvements (?), experimenting with headphone mods....................then clearly the 'gear' has taken on a life, purpose and allure within itself to some degree. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I get asked a lot of the time about this hobby (by friends and even random strangers) and everyone asking seem genuinely captivated when I tell them. It's far, far, from being a crap hobby and I especially hate it (not directed to you!) when there are people who have grown out of this type of hobby- after going through 150 headphones- and conclude that it's all about the music in the end, not the gear. Because if it was, then what made this dood go through so much gear? Hey, probably the third headphone the guy picked up was perfectly fine and satisfactory from a musical enjoyment perspective. For me if it was purely about the music and not the gear, then I would get rid of everything I have and only leave behind the £6 philips she3590 to be paired with my ageing samsung sgs smartphone. Full stop.

post #152 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Yeah there are a lot of mods on here and I'm not just talking about peeps that like "The Who".. I've been guilty of a few; removing the foam out the the 650 drivers and replacing it with toilet paper was one of my most revelatory moments in this hobby! And it wasn't even the posh quilted stuff!
you shouldn't say stuff like that: i have both 650s and a highly suggestible personality

i have some amperior, blu-tack, and time on my hands. since they literally slide apart, i might give it a go, but the truth is i'm too jaded by people who do stuff like mess up their car's intake and then swear blind it's noticeably faster, yet seem oblivious that altitude and temperature have more profound effects. i bit of an off subject point, i know, but the principle seems the same

i need to learn to trust. hug me
post #153 of 215

*


Edited by JadeEast - 11/3/12 at 2:33pm
post #154 of 215

I'm pretty sure this will happen on any forum after a while.  At least that's what happened to me on airsoftforum...

post #155 of 215

I just get sick of the same threads coming to the top again and again. Especially threads about a headphone being released YEARS ago that STILL have people talking about it. It is extremely misleading to people who dont look at the date when they start to read it. Some people just dont know how to let a thead die.

But I do agree you will get bored of it, as I did with overclock.net and with xtremesystems.
 

post #156 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBS View Post

you shouldn't say stuff like that: i have both 650s and a highly suggestible personality
i have some amperior, blu-tack, and time on my hands. since they literally slide apart, i might give it a go, but the truth is i'm too jaded by people who do stuff like mess up their car's intake and then swear blind it's noticeably faster, yet seem oblivious that altitude and temperature have more profound effects. i bit of an off subject point, i know, but the principle seems the same
i need to learn to trust. hug me

You can trust me very_evil_smiley.gif

 

But seriously, my advise to anyone on here is DON'T modify expensive headphones. Period... Because you will end up trying to sell them when you want better, and you really do need to have spectacular sales pitch when your trying to explain why you have Andrex super absorbant stuffed into your 650 drivers... "Honestly they sounded like schitt before.." biggrin.gif


Edited by LugBug1 - 11/3/12 at 3:32pm
post #157 of 215

I modified my HD800 :p

post #158 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I modified my HD800 :p

I'll buy em! bigsmile_face.gif

post #159 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunks View Post

I just get sick of the same threads coming to the top again and again. Especially threads about a headphone being released YEARS ago that STILL have people talking about it. It is extremely misleading to people who dont look at the date when they start to read it. Some people just dont know how to let a thead die.

I don't get it. This isn't a computer forum - newer isn't always better...

There's also a population of collectors here, which keeps older equipment relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

You can trust me very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, my advise to anyone on here is DON'T modify expensive headphones. Period... Because you will end up trying to sell them when you want better, and you really do need to have spectacular sales pitch when your trying to explain why you have Andrex super absorbant stuffed into your 650 drivers... "Honestly they sounded like schitt before.." biggrin.gif

Truer words have never been spoken. It doesn't matter how much cash you've dumped into custom cables, special materials, woodification, etc - resale generally will not reflect that unless you've created something really spectacular (for example if you've taken something like a K340 and made it prettier without changing the sound/functionality). I've seen this time and again with HD 580/600/650 owners who go full-enchilada with a Headphile woodie pack, and yeah it ends up looking awesome, but they're maybe $400-$500 of mods into them, and resale is less than the price of the mods, let alone the combined price of the setup.

My corollary to your advice is don't irreversibly modify rare or hard to replace headphones - e.g. don't go cutting up your MDR-F1s or HD-1000s or HD580Js or whatever else. Because you've taken something that's already rare and turned it into something that usually has a VERY small target audience.
Edited by obobskivich - 11/3/12 at 5:04pm
post #160 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBS View Post

you shouldn't say stuff like that: i have both 650s and a highly suggestible personality
i have some amperior, blu-tack, and time on my hands. since they literally slide apart, i might give it a go, but the truth is i'm too jaded by people who do stuff like mess up their car's intake and then swear blind it's noticeably faster, yet seem oblivious that altitude and temperature have more profound effects. i bit of an off subject point, i know, but the principle seems the same
i need to learn to trust. hug me

 

Reminds me of a funny story.

Years ago I had a Mustang.

I modified the crap out of it.

But after doing a few thing to the engine, the engine mod which amde the mst difference was a larger radiator: the engine performance was far more consistent throughout the summer.

 

BTW, here's your hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


I don't get it. This isn't a computer forum - newer isn't always better...
There's also a population of collectors here, which keeps older equipment relevant.
Truer words have never been spoken. It doesn't matter how much cash you've dumped into custom cables, special materials, woodification, etc - resale generally will not reflect that unless you've created something really spectacular (for example if you've taken something like a K340 and made it prettier without changing the sound/functionality). I've seen this time and again with HD 580/600/650 owners who go full-enchilada with a Headphile woodie pack, and yeah it ends up looking awesome, but they're maybe $400-$500 of mods into them, and resale is less than the price of the mods, let alone the combined price of the setup.
My corollary to your advice is don't irreversibly modify rare or hard to replace headphones - e.g. don't go cutting up your MDR-F1s or HD-1000s or HD580Js or whatever else. Because you've taken something that's already rare and turned it into something that usually has a VERY small target audience.

 

I bought a used Counterpoint SA-5.1 pre-amp several years ago. I've probably spent just as much modifying it as I did buying it. Can't say the modifications changed the sound of it that much.

I think if I sell it now I will get $0.20 on the dollar.............maybe.

Last time I ever do that!

post #161 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. It doesn't matter how much cash you've dumped into custom cables, special materials, woodification, etc - resale generally will not reflect that unless you've created something really spectacular (for example if you've taken something like a K340 and made it prettier without changing the sound/functionality). I've seen this time and again with HD 580/600/650 owners who go full-enchilada with a Headphile woodie pack, and yeah it ends up looking awesome, but they're maybe $400-$500 of mods into them, and resale is less than the price of the mods, let alone the combined price of the setup.

Some people aren't particularly interested in resale as a value.

700

post #162 of 215

I think we have solved the problem!

 

Whatever it was..............

post #163 of 215
Hmmmmmm, looks like everyone is sick of this thread?

biggrin.gif
post #164 of 215
Thread Starter 
Ok I'm back. I took about a 2 month break from Head-fi and I'm excited again. I'm back in love with this site.
post #165 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareribs View Post

Ok I'm back. I took about a 2 month break from Head-fi and I'm excited again. I'm back in love with this site.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should take a 2 month break from The Fi.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You will get sick of head-fi