Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Looking for a custom IEM <$850 for my needs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a custom IEM <$850 for my needs

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 

Hello Head-Fi community,

 

I'm looking for custom IEMs <$350 <$850 that fit my requirements. Here's a little more about what I am looking for in my IEMS-

 

-Build Quality: I want these in ears to last as long as possible, forever maybe, as I won’t be changing IEMs for a long time. I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them very often.

 

-Noise Isolation: I don't need too much isolation; just average (like 3/5 on a scale of 1-5). It’s nice to filter out background noise, but it poses a safety threat, so I prefer average isolation.

 

-Comfort: I will be wearing my headphones for many hours at a time, and can listen to 200+ songs without removing them. Sometimes, I sleep with my headphones on. I want a non-fatiguing sound, and I want to feel as if the headphones weren’t there or as they were cushioning my ear.

 

-Song Genres: I listen to all genres. However I listen to classical, techno, trance, electronic, jazz, rap/hip-hop/pop, rock (occasionally), and popular songs most. It will also be used for to watch videos/movies, conferencing/calling, and video games.

 

-Sound Signature: I like my sound to have resolution and seem 3D. Likewise, I value tonal accuracy, clarity, coherence and detail. Words to describe my preferred sound are rich, warm, organic and natural, realistic, transparent, and bright. Punchy bass and treble is important.

 

-Other Important Information: The source of my audio is usually going to be my Sandisk Sansa Clip+, although at other times it will be my Asus N53SV-XV1 PC, and other times my Android phone (rarely an iPod or iPhone). Keep in mind that I will not be using an amplifier of any kind.

 

EDIT: While browsing through Head-Fi, I found the Unique Melody Merlins ($800) to be pretty good. Are they my best options, or are there better options?

 

Really looking forward to hearing any feedback! Thanks to all helpful replies I receive!


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:49pm
post #2 of 61
Thread Starter 

Bump


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:28pm
post #3 of 61

At that price range, the most popular thing to do seems to be to buy a TF10 and get it reshelled (inearz does it cheap). I picked up my tf10, getting molds done, and with all the fees, it'll be around 280. This assumes you like the tf10 sound signature.

post #4 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit300 View Post

At that price range, the most popular thing to do seems to be to buy a TF10 and get it reshelled (inearz does it cheap). I picked up my tf10, getting molds done, and with all the fees, it'll be around 280. This assumes you like the tf10 sound signature.

 

While I've heard the TF10 reshells make them really nice, I don't own a TF10, neither do I own one. Thanks for the feedback though.

 

I have a Sennheiser IE80, and I heard UM reshells the IE80 (upgrade to 3 drivers) for $370, but I'm not sure about the sound quality. I'll have to contact UM about that.


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:32pm
post #5 of 61
Thread Starter 

I contacted Unique Melody Global the other day, and asked them about Sennheiser IE80 reshells, which are the same service as the IE8x3 at $369. Sadly, they said the IE8x3 won't sound nearly as good as the UM Merlin, considering the price of the IE80 + the reshell = the price of a new Merlin.

 

Any other ideas?


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:33pm
post #6 of 61

Try the 1964 Triple or Quad, Heir Audio 3Ai, 4Ai and they will meet your requirements and Heir Audio IEMs are not exactley CIEMs but close.

post #7 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post

Try the 1964 Triple or Quad, Heir Audio 3Ai, 4Ai and they will meet your requirements and Heir Audio IEMs are not exactley CIEMs but close.

 

I prefer the sound of my universal IE80 over the 3Ai and the 4Ai. I will have to look into the 1964Ears Triple and Quad.


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:39pm
post #8 of 61
Thread Starter 

Ok, I looked at the 1964EARS-T and 1964EARS-Q, and they seem to be good. I will do more research though, since I raised my budget to $850. Thanks for the feedback, though.

 

I lifted the price range to see what CIEMs I should look at. Bump!


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:51pm
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

I lifted the price range to see what CIEMs I should look at. Bump!

 

 

Why are you gonna reshell the IE80? Are you intending on adding BA drivers and using the IE80 drivers for the bass? otherwise I don't see this going well at all. The Tralucents IMO are an excellent upgrade over the IE80 in everyway. Probably out of yoru price range but it's also a universal fit custom IEM so resale value will be much better and others can experience what they sound like.

post #10 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 

 

Why are you gonna reshell the IE80? Are you intending on adding BA drivers and using the IE80 drivers for the bass? otherwise I don't see this going well at all. The Tralucents IMO are an excellent upgrade over the IE80 in everyway. Probably out of yoru price range but it's also a universal fit custom IEM so resale value will be much better and others can experience what they sound like.

 

I probably won't reshell the IE80, but the reshell enhances mids and highs. I'll look into the Tralucent T1s.


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 9:19am
post #11 of 61

I'm really doubtful on that with a dynamic IEM. For BA reshelling is much more feasible. I've never heard of a dynamic driver getting reshelled and having positive results other than using the dynamic drivers to cover the bass range in hyrbids like my Tralucent 1Plus2s. Are you talking about getting a T1 amp? The amp is superb and really opens up with usage. I'm actually preferring this amp with my DX100 over my other amps at the moment.

post #12 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I'm really doubtful on that with a dynamic IEM. For BA reshelling is much more feasible. I've never heard of a dynamic driver getting reshelled and having positive results other than using the dynamic drivers to cover the bass range in hyrbids like my Tralucent 1Plus2s. Are you talking about getting a T1 amp? The amp is superb and really opens up with usage. I'm actually preferring this amp with my DX100 over my other amps at the moment.

 

I meant the 1Plus2, sorry. They seem really nice, but too much for my budget (lol can't even stretch my budget an extra $30) I can't buy an amp, too much money to spend.


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:55pm
post #13 of 61

Have a look at the cosmic ears thread, there's been a small amount of feedback but they're still new to the market.

 

But a bargain they are, and certainly fit your wallet.

post #14 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post

Have a look at the cosmic ears thread, there's been a small amount of feedback but they're still new to the market.

 

But a bargain they are, and certainly fit your wallet.

 

Wow, when I heard about that, I was thinking $150, but darn, those are dirt cheap customs! I'm looking into their Flex model, wondering how they compare to the IE80s...


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:45pm
post #15 of 61
Thread Starter 

I looked into the Flex series, turns out they won't be as good as the IE80s, but thanks for the input. I'll have to bookmark that for the future.

 

While browsing through Head-Fi, I found the Unique Melody Merlins ($800) to be pretty good. Are they good for my requirements?


Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 10/20/12 at 10:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Looking for a custom IEM <$850 for my needs