or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-FXZ 100/200 - Page 217

post #3241 of 3255
Good write up mate. Still have my 2 pairs of the 200 and won't be giving them up anytime soon.
post #3242 of 3255

I just picked these up from the Post office. I gave away my original pair to my brother, back when I purchased a Sony XBA-H3. Well, it's been nearly two years since, and I was beginning to miss how these sounded. Listening to them right now, they sound almost exactly like the H3, only, the bass is done better, but there isn't as much echo. It's also less "shouty", so I can listen to them at full volume via my iPhone 6 with no issues. Soundscape is maybe a hair smaller, but the sound I liked about the FXZ-200, was an "intimate" one that made the performer's voice sound ridiculously close and realistic. Instruments also sounded more real. There are some details that weren't as emphasized on the H3.

 

They sure don't sound the way I remember, though, after about 200 hours on them. Female vocals are sounding better than males, so far, and I'm loving them all over again. Exploring my library again. We'll get there.:etysmile:

 

post #3243 of 3255
It's awesome to hear someone returning to these after the xba h3. Mine just arrived but I don't get to open them until Valentines day😇 They are on display so I can look at them though! And I can read about them here. I have been trying to read this thread from the beginning (2012) and I have made it to page 70 so far, only180 more pages😵
Thanks to all that contributed so far.
Edited by aafanatic - 2/3/16 at 3:59pm
post #3244 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by aafanatic View Post

It's awesome to hear someone returning ro these after the xba h3. Mine just arrived but I don't get to open them until Valentines day😇 They are on display so I can look at them though! And I can read about them here. I have been trying to read this thread from the begining (2012) and I have made it to page 70 so far, only180 more pages😵
Thanks to all that contributed so far.


Right now, I'm still exploring the differences between the two. The H3 is a little more forgiving, while the 200s are more picky, and they can't be driven at full volume, because the bass distorts voices. They also work better with an amp or a better-powered source. The H3 has a more "enveloping" sound, where as the 200s can sound strangely "quiet" on some songs. In terms of soundstage, detail, and instrument placement, I'm not missing anything from the H3. 

 

Working my way up to where my old pair were:

 

Quote:
 Originally Posted by BlinkST View Post
 

Okay, these have like a million hours on them now, and I think the sound has changed again. I didn't really notice before, since I've been listening to "modern" recordings like Drake [Love the new album].

 

But for whatever reason, the voice has changed again. They've gone "quiet" again, yet "clearer". [Note: this is straight out my iPhone 5]. The bass went down again. The voices hit my ears in such a way as to sound as if I'm next to the person. It's a little spooky to hear the music as if you're sitting in the session. 

post #3245 of 3255

I don't find the vocals sound "quiet" on the FXZ200 - it is just right. It has been 2 weeks and I am still digging with the bass - it is so big and delicious. I only burned it for 50 hours and they are smooth-sounding already. Yet, isolation is quite good so far. Blocks ventilation noise, TV, crowd noise quite well.

 

I have never thought Dream Theater live concert sounds too good with the FXZ200. I can taste John Myung's bass pluck in every songs. The bass on Dream Theater - The Great Debate is just phenomenal, the dark signature of FXZ200 fits with the song.

 

I love how it is not harsh and thin-sounding like other JVC lines I have - the FXT90, FXD80, FXC51, and FX101.

 

If one says FXZ200 is an intimate earphone and not a spacious-sounding earphone, then it is the best intimate earphone in my collection.

 

FXT90 is intimate but harsh, and UM30pro is overly intimate and the mid is too forward (and glaringly offending). Other intimate earphone I first returned was Yamaha EPH-M200 where the bass is overly bloated and overall sound is too congested but the FXZ200, on the other hand, is big but pleasant to hear.

post #3246 of 3255
Right now it's thursday, and I've been running these out my iPad Air 1 after hours of burn-in today. The sound is so wonderful and detailed, and they are at full volume (With soundcheck on) and there's no sibilance. Bass isn't warbling voices like before. It used to be that on a song like this for example:

 

 

 

 

The bass would warble the voices, and both ear pieces would have sibilance when the bass kicks in (Something that also happened on my H3). Now it's gone. It's kind of ridiculous how detailed they are. I didn't expect them to eclipse the H3 in that regard. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandasaputra View Post
 

I don't find the vocals sound "quiet" on the FXZ200 - it is just right. It has been 2 weeks and I am still digging with the bass - it is so big and delicious. I only burned it for 50 hours and they are smooth-sounding already. Yet, isolation is quite good so far. Blocks ventilation noise, TV, crowd noise quite well.

 

I have never thought Dream Theater live concert sounds too good with the FXZ200. I can taste John Myung's bass pluck in every songs. The bass on Dream Theater - The Great Debate is just phenomenal, the dark signature of FXZ200 fits with the song.

 

I love how it is not harsh and thin-sounding like other JVC lines I have - the FXT90, FXD80, FXC51, and FX101.

 

If one says FXZ200 is an intimate earphone and not a spacious-sounding earphone, then it is the best intimate earphone in my collection.

 

FXT90 is intimate but harsh, and UM30pro is overly intimate and the mid is too forward (and glaringly offending). Other intimate earphone I first returned was Yamaha EPH-M200 where the bass is overly bloated and overall sound is too congested but the FXZ200, on the other hand, is big but pleasant to hear.

 

Maybe "quiet" isn't the best word, because I didn't mean in an audible sense. Voices just sound calm and effortless. It just makes you pay attention and get lost in the music.   

 

 

1/9/2016 notes

 

It's been a full week burning and listening to this, and I'll relate how they sound to me now. 

 

 

H3 has a "consistent" sound across most songs. It's mostly louder, and some sounds are "front and center". The two are very similar in terms of soundstage width, but the Sonys are noticeably wider, especially when voices travel from right to left and vice-versa. The JVCs sound more "precise" in terms of detail and what sound goes where. It's also more detailed, and the cohesiveness of the sound benefits significantly. Background voices stand out more. It's easier to "home in" on certain details. Soundstage also has better depth. It is this depth that I used to say that makes the earphone sound "quiet" at times. Turns out they're silent assassins. 

 

In a way... The JVCs sound like what they Sonys were trying to sound like. I was originally blinded to this with "new toy syndrome", though. If I had the patience to evaluate these both properly the first time around, I would have returned the H3 and look into investing in my audio chain. Though that's not as a big of a problem today.


Edited by BlinkST - 1/9/16 at 4:03pm
post #3247 of 3255


Had my fxz-200's converted to balanced... Loving the separation. These aren't detail monsters but one of my enjoyable iem's.

Sorry, I can't compare to single ended back to back.
post #3248 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkST View Post


In a way... The JVCs sound like what they Sonys were trying to sound like. I was originally blinded to this with "new toy syndrome", though. If I had the patience to evaluate these both properly the first time around, I would have returned the H3 and look into investing in my audio chain. Though that's not as a big of a problem today.

It is really nice to hear this, having read all your posts and getting to benefeit from your experience. I still have not gotten to open my fxz200, they are in their box across the room from me, but having read this whole thread I know to burn them in for an extended period. I actually set up a burn station after reading how some of you just put them on burn cycle and leave them for a week or two. I decided to give my fxt100/200ltd and fxh30 some extra burn time while I wait for my fxz200, then the fxz can get on the burn ;-)
After reading this whole thread, it has been especially nice to hear from some of you long time fxz enthusiests over the last few years. After 200 pages and probably 50 or 60 people, I really have a sense of what these fxz100/200 are all about.
PS. I just ordered the fx1100 and they should be arriving tomorrow.
post #3249 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by aafanatic View Post

It is really nice to hear this, having read all your posts and getting to benefeit from your experience. I still have not gotten to open my fxz200, they are in their box across the room from me, but having read this whole thread I know to burn them in for an extended period. I actually set up a burn station after reading how some of you just put them on burn cycle and leave them for a week or two. I decided to give my fxt100/200ltd and fxh30 some extra burn time while I wait for my fxz200, then the fxz can get on the burn ;-)
After reading this whole thread, it has been especially nice to hear from some of you long time fxz enthusiests over the last few years. After 200 pages and probably 50 or 60 people, I really have a sense of what these fxz100/200 are all about.
PS. I just ordered the fx1100 and they should be arriving tomorrow.

I've had the fxz-200 and have the fx1100 (or whatever is the int'l version is)

I like them both.
post #3250 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmax View Post


I've had the fxz-200 and have the fx1100 (or whatever is the int'l version is)

I like them both.

 

The FXZ200 is indeed good - for a month of use, I love it. It is the only +$150 earphone that I would bring to the gym. It sounds smooth and fun; at the same time, it fits greatly too! I have had no problem with isolation at all either.

 

FXZ200 is one of few earphones in my collection that I would crank up the volume to put me into trance mode. 

post #3251 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by aafanatic View Post


It is really nice to hear this, having read all your posts and getting to benefeit from your experience. I still have not gotten to open my fxz200, they are in their box across the room from me, but having read this whole thread I know to burn them in for an extended period. I actually set up a burn station after reading how some of you just put them on burn cycle and leave them for a week or two. I decided to give my fxt100/200ltd and fxh30 some extra burn time while I wait for my fxz200, then the fxz can get on the burn ;-)
After reading this whole thread, it has been especially nice to hear from some of you long time fxz enthusiests over the last few years. After 200 pages and probably 50 or 60 people, I really have a sense of what these fxz100/200 are all about.
PS. I just ordered the fx1100 and they should be arriving tomorrow.

After about a week, the FXZ200s should be ready. The FX1100 will most certainly blow those away though. 

post #3252 of 3255

I am listening to the FX1100 while I write. I still can't believe how far I have been able to come in such a short time with ALL of your help;-)

I really am acquiring a taste for all of my iem. I am not yet an audiophile, but I am an enriched and educated enthusiast.

" How do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume? To Head-Fi, with love."

I will report back after the 14th when I have opened my FXZ200s. 

post #3253 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandasaputra View Post
 

 

The FXZ200 is indeed good - for a month of use, I love it. It is the only +$150 earphone that I would bring to the gym. It sounds smooth and fun; at the same time, it fits greatly too! I have had no problem with isolation at all either.

 

FXZ200 is one of few earphones in my collection that I would crank up the volume to put me into trance mode. 

Thank you much for this response.  I am a huge fan of the SZ2000 and was considering the FXZ200 precisely for going to the gym.  I have never been a gym guy, but these should certainly dull the pain of being out of shape and give me something to look forward to in that miserable place  :D.  Not to mention being able to jam out while doing fun activities like mountain biking.  Sold!

post #3254 of 3255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 227qed View Post
 

Thank you much for this response.  I am a huge fan of the SZ2000 and was considering the FXZ200 precisely for going to the gym.  I have never been a gym guy, but these should certainly dull the pain of being out of shape and give me something to look forward to in that miserable place  :D.  Not to mention being able to jam out while doing fun activities like mountain biking.  Sold!


 On second thought, there are some used FX850 on amazon for just a bit more.  Word on the street is that they don't require amping or EQ, which would be much more convenient for said activities.  Input on whether or not the FX850 are much better (compared to FXZ200) throughout the range of hifi characteristics, with minimal (if any) loss of bass depth, impact, and clarity would be greatly appreciated.  FXZ100 might also fit the bill as they are the cheapest of the bunch and will I'll likely be tossing these things around and getting them caught on things.​

 

Side question: Does amazon have a good return policy for IEMs, especially used ones at that?  Fearful they might arrive in worse condition than stated and hoping to be covered in the event I'd prefer to send them back.

 

Thanks!


Edited by 227qed - 2/6/16 at 2:13am
post #3255 of 3255

 You could always check the site classifieds, your fellow Head-Fiers would never do you wrong.  :wink_face:

 

Rumor has it there is a pair of barely used FXZ100's listed there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: