Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › ++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE!... - Page 9  

post #121 of 190

So, first time poster here and still not sure just what kind "sound" I want from my audio.

 

Basically just looking for a pair of IEM headphones with headset to replace my recently broken ones on a budget of around $50. I've got an Android phone so I would certainly prefer if the volume controls and such was compatible with it too. Now I know that the first thing to do is to check one of the enormous review threads for suggestions in my price range. The problem is that only around 1 in 6 of the headphones listed there are actually available for me to buy here in Sweden at the moment. The prices themselves also seem to differ greatly then what they're sold for in the US compared to here, sometimes for less though mostly a lot more.

 

So what I've basically done is picked 4 models that all seemed to have been reviewed decently and was hoping for help to narrow things down even further. They are:

 

  • Logitech Ultimate Ears 600vi
  • RHA MA450i
  • Sennheiser MM70i
  • Nocs NS400

 

They all cost basically the same with shipping. From what I've come to understand it seems like the MM70i has the best sound quality of the four but I'm somewhat hesitant after hearing complaints of the build quality (I want these to be able to take a little wear and tear after all). I know that it is probably hopeless to ask for someone to be able to review them all side by side and see how they hold up but any form comparison between them would be helpful. If anyone has any suggestions on other models outside of those that might be well-suited then feel free to suggest but again, brands like MEElectronics, Soundmagic, VSonic, Brainwavz, Xears, Hippo and others I just can't seem to find any sellers of here online and I just don't want to wait the time importing would take.

 

Thanks in advance.

post #122 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohawk View Post

Hello!

I'm looking for a headphone but I don't know music/technical terms at all (maybe 1%), so I can't assure I'm gonna be precise enough.

I'll give my best though!

Here's what I'm looking for:

 
over the ear headphone, so I can experience a nice sound isolation, less sound leak. Something comfortable is a must here. Nothing too big, I like portability, but without compromising the sound quality/isolation. Definitely something foldable, as portable as possible. 

I plan to use it for music and games. In the music department I hear mostly pop/rock, house, dance, reggae, little bit of classic. No heavy metal, no gothic stuff. Given that I think a HIFI, as this sites defines: (http://www.headfonia.com/portable-headphone-recommendations/) would be a good option right? Balanced with good bass.

Finally, price range within ~$150.

Hope you can help me! Thank you!

I recommend you buy 2 sets of headphones! Get something portable like the jvc has400 for $25 then invest the remainder in a nice set of full sized phones like the dt770, ath-m50, srh840 etc.
post #123 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanie View Post

So, first time poster here and still not sure just what kind "sound" I want from my audio.

 

Basically just looking for a pair of IEM headphones with headset to replace my recently broken ones on a budget of around $50.

So what I've basically done is picked 4 models that all seemed to have been reviewed decently and was hoping for help to narrow things down even further. They are:

 

  • Logitech Ultimate Ears 600vi
  • RHA MA450i
  • Sennheiser MM70i
  • Nocs NS400

 

Gonna bump my earlier post since that seems to be allowed. Sorry if I sound impatient but I really just want to order these tonight because going without any headphones is just becoming unbearable.

 

I also read a bit more and just how does the Sony MH1C that ClieOS reviewed so positively compare to these listed? I'd save a nice bit if they stand up to them.

post #124 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanie View Post

Gonna bump my earlier post since that seems to be allowed. Sorry if I sound impatient but I really just want to order these tonight because going without any headphones is just becoming unbearable.

I also read a bit more and just how does the Sony MH1C that ClieOS reviewed so positively compare to these listed? I'd save a nice bit if they stand up to them.

It is hard because I don't think a lot of people have tried ALL of the specific models you have picked. I have noticed iem's with mic's are kind of taboo or at least considered less desirable around here. UE (logitech) even released their new 400 dollar iem with both types of cables so as not to alienate the people that consider a mic to be not "audiophile" enough.

That being said, based on my experience with UE and Sennheiser I would stick with one of those two. Look up reviews on them and see which one seems to match your sound preference more. I like the Sennheiser CX200's that I have as a budget iem pretty well and the UE's are liked by many.
post #125 of 190

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here after mostly just using this place as a source of information for a few months. Anyway, I've gone through a lot of different pairs of headphones and for now I've settled on a pair for listening to music at home (Sennheiser HD250 Linear II) but am still looking for something portable.

I was using a pair of HD25s for a couple of months, but recently sold them because they didn't have prominent enough highs. Currently I'm using a pair of borrowed Shure SE215s. Like the HD25s, I think they could use more forward highs, and overall I prefer the sound of the HD25s to the SE215s.

 

I do like the over-the-ear cable arrangement and fit of the SE215s though, and from what I've read so far about the rest of the SExx5 lineup, it seems that anything else will be much more balanced sounding. A lot of people are nuts about the SE535s, but I was wondering how the cheaper options compare. And if anyone has any recommendations for other on-ear headphones or IEMs suited for listening to a lot of different styles of music, they'd be much appreciated.

post #126 of 190

Hi, I'd like a pair of IEMs for under $50. I consider myself a basshead, and I loved the bass of the Sony XB700. So, is there a nice pair of in ears with lots of bass? 

post #127 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb88 View Post

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here after mostly just using this place as a source of information for a few months. Anyway, I've gone through a lot of different pairs of headphones and for now I've settled on a pair for listening to music at home (Sennheiser HD250 Linear II) but am still looking for something portable.

I was using a pair of HD25s for a couple of months, but recently sold them because they didn't have prominent enough highs. Currently I'm using a pair of borrowed Shure SE215s. Like the HD25s, I think they could use more forward highs, and overall I prefer the sound of the HD25s to the SE215s.

 

I do like the over-the-ear cable arrangement and fit of the SE215s though, and from what I've read so far about the rest of the SExx5 lineup, it seems that anything else will be much more balanced sounding. A lot of people are nuts about the SE535s, but I was wondering how the cheaper options compare. And if anyone has any recommendations for other on-ear headphones or IEMs suited for listening to a lot of different styles of music, they'd be much appreciated.

 

If the HD-25s didn't have enough treble for you, I honestly can't think of any other portable can with significantly more treble quantity. Maybe the SRH-940, but I haven't A/Bed them yet. Then again, the 940s might not be considered portable by some (I personally would find them fine, but YMMV). The T50p had more, but I really can't recommend those. Maybe Doc can pipe up about the DT1350s here.

 

Regarding the IEMs, the SE425 is often considered to be the more "neutral" out of the SExx5 line. Other good all-rounders would be the PFE122, W2s, and the GR07 (I know these get recommended way too much, but I honestly haven't heard better around this price range, they're that good).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohawk View Post

Hello!

 

I'm looking for a headphone but I don't know music/technical terms at all (maybe 1%), so I can't assure I'm gonna be precise enough.

 

I'll give my best though!

 

Here's what I'm looking for:
 

over the ear headphone, so I can experience a nice sound isolation, less sound leak. Something comfortable is a must here. Nothing too big, I like portability, but without compromising the sound quality/isolation. Definitely something foldable, as portable as possible. 

 

I plan to use it for music and games. In the music department I hear mostly pop/rock, house, dance, reggae, little bit of classic. No heavy metal, no gothic stuff. Given that I think a HIFI, as this sites defines: (http://www.headfonia.com/portable-headphone-recommendations/) would be a good option right? Balanced with good bass.

 

Finally, price range within ~$150.

 

Hope you can help me! Thank you!

 

Kinda don't want to say M50s, but in this case...uhh, M50s? HP700s are a good alternative as well. Good isolation, punchy sound. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfologus View Post

Hi,
I find a klipsch costum 3 for sale here. This is really a costume one and I can't try it out before buying. http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnaldo73/7050781425/in/photostream/  Would you make an attempt to buy it in this case?
Another part of my question: I can't choose between the TripleFi 10 and the Vsonic GR07. Both are in the same price. The triplefi has on edge temporarily because of the detachable cable.
The source will be a samsung i9000 with voodoo sound and there isn't special type of music I prefer.

 

 

The TF10s are definitely more sensitive than the GR07. Might have to take that into consideration when using them with a phone (The Samsung should be quite fine though). Regarding the detachable cable thing for the GR07, http://www.head-fi.org/t/602091/vsonic-gr08-info-expectations-thread/405#post_8817695. Adding the fact that the GR07 is way ahead in terms of comfort, fit, isolation, and build, they would win on the usability front for sure. If you want a fuller-sounding, but similar sound to the TF10 (although possibly less cohesive than the TF10, if that's even possible), try the XBA-3. Way better fit, and if you don't like them, you could always sell them and keep some of the Hybrid tips like I did wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuloss View Post

westone um1, re-0(not too sure about this one, i cant find a review that doesnt touch on how terrible the build quality is), Vsonic gr06? my limit is 85-90$

The RE0s fell apart multiple times when I had them. It might be my own bad luck, however they don't feel that solidly built anyways. GR06 are very nice sounding. Any wants in terms of sound/usability? 

post #128 of 190

Hi there, 

 

I listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, some trap and some dubstep and some mainstream stuff.

 

I am looking for a £100ish headphone that has the best possible sound quality and clarity, good bass for the dubstep (good clarity, extension and impact) but doesn't bleed (hopefully) and obviously the best possible mids and highs. Crucially though, I would like the headphones to be "live" and "fun" to listen to - I don't want them to be analytical but to be great to listen to, hopefully this makes sense.

 

I have big ears and am looking for something very very comfortable - I tried the Bose AE1 and that is the sort of comfort I am looking for, just a little bigger earcups!

 

Portable if possible, but am willing to sacrifice here! 

 

Will be powering of an iPod/ HTC phone.

 

Any more info please ask!

 

Thanks loads :) 

post #129 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

If the HD-25s didn't have enough treble for you, I honestly can't think of any other portable can with significantly more treble quantity. Maybe the SRH-940, but I haven't A/Bed them yet. Then again, the 940s might not be considered portable by some (I personally would find them fine, but YMMV). The T50p had more, but I really can't recommend those. Maybe Doc can pipe up about the DT1350s here.

 

Regarding the IEMs, the SE425 is often considered to be the more "neutral" out of the SExx5 line. Other good all-rounders would be the PFE122, W2s, and the GR07 (I know these get recommended way too much, but I honestly haven't heard better around this price range, they're that good).

Thanks for the info. I thought I might be out of luck getting portable cans with more treble than the HD25, maybe there's something a little more obscure that someone knows about though.

I think the 940s would be a little too big for me, I'm preferably after something either in-ear or that can be comfortably worn around the neck for long periods. I had a pair of SRH-750DJs (I'm assuming they're a similar size) which I didn't find suitable for portable use, though now that I think about it, that was more due to the unwieldy cable rather than the size of the headphones themselves. I'll go check out a pair in person some time.

Seemingly every review I read of Shure's IEM range say that the SE535 are without question the best of the lineup, but don't really go into detail about how they differ from the 425s. Can anyone provide a little more info about how those two models compare?

And I'll look into your other suggestions too. Thanks again.

post #130 of 190
Hey guys I've been looking for headphones for about 3 weeks and still haven't made up my mind, if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Music- Rock (60's and 70's), alternative, blues, indie, and some rap (not super important)

Sound- I'm not totally sure but I'd like a fun sound. Maybe better mids and bass, what would be
more important for what I listen to?

Price range- 220

Source- just my iPhone and computer but not often

Over ear or on ear- I want something I can use in public places, so no bad sound leakage. A case would be ideal but it's not mandatory. I've never had a good pair of headphones so ones with ok sound will probably sound great to me.

People's suggestions- people have suggested many headphones and I like the way most look
.
V-moda m-80/LP2. Looks great, sounds great, and durable. Probably top on my list
Seinheiser hd25. Not bad, are they uncomfortable? Heard they have good sound.
AKG. I've been looking t a couple akgs and they look very portable, not sure best in price range.
Pioneer. Looks more like a dj than a daily used headphone on the street or bus.
Beyerdynamic custom one pro. Looks sweet IMO but are new and I want more reviews.
Sol republic. These got me looking into headphones, probably still on top of my list.

Well those are all the ones I've been looking at and I'm open for suggestions. Right now vmoda is probably first, sol second, and beyerdynamic is third. Tell me what you guys think. If there's not a case I want them to be fairly durable. I probably don't want to buy a portable amp either. Thanks guys and gals!
post #131 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb88 View Post

Thanks for the info. I thought I might be out of luck getting portable cans with more treble than the HD25, maybe there's something a little more obscure that someone knows about though.

I think the 940s would be a little too big for me, I'm preferably after something either in-ear or that can be comfortably worn around the neck for long periods. I had a pair of SRH-750DJs (I'm assuming they're a similar size) which I didn't find suitable for portable use, though now that I think about it, that was more due to the unwieldy cable rather than the size of the headphones themselves. I'll go check out a pair in person some time.

Seemingly every review I read of Shure's IEM range say that the SE535 are without question the best of the lineup, but don't really go into detail about how they differ from the 425s. Can anyone provide a little more info about how those two models compare?

And I'll look into your other suggestions too. Thanks again.

From graphs, it seems that the DT1350 is the best bet right now. Looking into them myself. Would need to listen to them myself to make sure. 

 

Both the SE425 and the SE535 roll off fairly quickly bass-wise. I thought the treble was a bit better on the 425s as well. The SE425s are calmer, with a more neutral tone, compared to the (overly IMO) lush mids. The SE535 are technically better, with more detail as well. But to me, they just lack against the other competition in the price range. Especially against the W4s, which share a similar curve, but does everything (extension, technical proficiencies) better.

post #132 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstone97 View Post

Hey guys I've been looking for headphones for about 3 weeks and still haven't made up my mind, if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
Music- Rock (60's and 70's), alternative, blues, indie, and some rap (not super important)
Sound- I'm not totally sure but I'd like a fun sound. Maybe better mids and bass, what would be
more important for what I listen to?
Price range- 220
Source- just my iPhone and computer but not often
Over ear or on ear- I want something I can use in public places, so no bad sound leakage. A case would be ideal but it's not mandatory. I've never had a good pair of headphones so ones with ok sound will probably sound great to me.
People's suggestions- people have suggested many headphones and I like the way most look
.
V-moda m-80/LP2. Looks great, sounds great, and durable. Probably top on my list
Seinheiser hd25. Not bad, are they uncomfortable? Heard they have good sound.
AKG. I've been looking t a couple akgs and they look very portable, not sure best in price range.
Pioneer. Looks more like a dj than a daily used headphone on the street or bus.
Beyerdynamic custom one pro. Looks sweet IMO but are new and I want more reviews.
Sol republic. These got me looking into headphones, probably still on top of my list.
Well those are all the ones I've been looking at and I'm open for suggestions. Right now vmoda is probably first, sol second, and beyerdynamic is third. Tell me what you guys think. If there's not a case I want them to be fairly durable. I probably don't want to buy a portable amp either. Thanks guys and gals!

The M80s are probably your best bet right now. Nice warm sound, with really coherent mids and bass. Don't count the COPs out of the running just yet though, they are very fun sounding, comfort and isolation is quite good as well. The case on the M80s are...well, they're probably the best portable case I've yet to seen. Really sturdy stuff.

post #133 of 190
Thanks for the quick response! The COPs are good looking IMO, can change bass, and are pretty sturdy. Just going to wait a few months to see if I want the m80 or COPs. Thank you very much, glad to get those others off the list.
post #134 of 190

Thinking of getting a pair of $300 portable headphones, no idea which to get though. Don't need to be incredibly portable (just enough to move around with), need some decent isolation (nothing incredible, just something to block out some noise), good sound quality, and no need for an amp to sound good.

Been looking into the V-moda m100's, but they don't come out for a little while, and apparently it's a tad overpriced for the quality

post #135 of 190

Do anyone here have both HiFiMan HE-400 and Yamaha EPH-100?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › ++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]