im a treble head, so i always want more treble, but the SE425 had sufficient treble for my liking, it is slightly rolled off but not severly. it would be my pick, i even prefer it over the SE535 (although with an upgrade cable, im loving my SE535 now)
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Cobalt)tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productFischer Audio DBA-02 Mk IItagged by System, 10/19/12
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/12
- productRockit Sounds R-50tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productShure SE425 Earphonetagged by System, 10/19/12
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productVSONIC GR01tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productVSONIC GR07 MKIItagged by System, 10/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM suggestions... Help Last post on 12/28/12 at 4:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- new in-ear Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
i had these headphones from last 8 months and i am enjoying it a lot for listening classical, jazz.these headphones offer proper imaging to the vocals of the artist and music it fairly do justice...
These headphones are a great pair for home use, and use for movies, videos and ect. They deliver great sound quality, but I wouldn't consider it hi-Fi though. I listen to mostly Metal and Rock...
I was overall unimpressed with the Focal Spirit One cans. I'm hardly a connoisseur of headphones, but I was let down a bit by the sound and the manufacturer's advertising. I compared these to...
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Neutral IEM for Classical and Jazz with good soundstage and bass extension - Page 2post #16 of 4410/18/12 at 4:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 4410/18/12 at 7:45amThread Starterpost #18 of 4410/18/12 at 7:48ampost #19 of 4410/18/12 at 7:54amThread Starterpost #20 of 4410/18/12 at 8:54ampost #21 of 4410/18/12 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #22 of 4410/18/12 at 10:25ampost #23 of 4410/18/12 at 10:27ampost #24 of 4410/18/12 at 11:35am
The SE425 are not any better than HF5 in bass region and i will highly recommed to try GR07 because they offers wider soundstage, tight punchy bass and very detailed mids, highs with good instruments separation. The GR01 willbe better pick over SE425 for good bass response and overall very detailed soundsignature. BTW RE272 is not light in bass region sepcialy if connect through AMPs because it's improve with AMPs help and you will amaze by the clarity and details it shows with great instruments sepration
Edited by ZARIM - 10/18/12 at 11:38ampost #25 of 4410/18/12 at 1:00pmMay I say that both me and my uncle (Andrew Poppy modern classical composer) both find the SE425 better than the HF5 in nearly all aspects, especially in the presentation of the music, they just have a very natural effortless sound to them, they may not be as accurate, or extended, or detailed, but they sound right, they don't sound artificial, they have a great soundstage and are very smooth and easy to listen topost #26 of 4410/18/12 at 6:07pmThread Starter
Last night, I listened again in detail to both the HF5 and the GR07 (AIFF / iPod 160GB / DIY silver LOD / iBasso P4 with AD797 and discrete transistor buffers), with the following result:
HF5: excellent speed and detail, very transparent, BUT next to no soundstage (it's all in the head) and tonally "off". They don't really do accurate timbre. They reminded me of the original (1980s) Linn Kan speakers!
GR07: more bass extension, better soundstage, BUT masking of fine detail, recessed mids and subjectively "slow"-sounding. Transients appear severely blunted. PLUS - very difficult to achieve a decent seal (I used Sony green hybrids in the end). I guess this just means that dynamics aren't for me....
Clearly, neither was entirely satisfactory.
In the end, my reasoning is that the GR01s will probably be too similar in sound signature to the Etys, plus there is some concern over whether I can get them to fit properly (as, if they have the same nozzle diameter as the GR07s, it will be difficult to find foam tips for them).
The Shures sound to me like they might go more in the direction of an "in-ear HD600", which is what I am looking for. Additionally, I know that Shure Olives fit me, achieve a good seal and are comfortable.
post #27 of 4410/18/12 at 8:39pm
The GR01 is definitely not going to sound exactly like the HF5. I tried an HF5 or HF3(whichever one has the ipod controls) and ended up returning it because I thought it lacked bass, and I didn't like the extremely deep fit. I was getting a good seal, but I just didn't like the comfort. The GR01 has much better bass, and actually has a more extended and sparklier treble as well. The GR01 never gets too aggressive in the upper mids or treble, but is still bright. It's bright, but not harsh or grainy. I like it much more than the HF3/HF5.
As for foam tips, the Monster Supertips fit, and there should be a comply that fits, but I'm not sure which one is the right fit. I have settled on the supplied bi-flange tips, great comfort and isolation.
I love my GR01's and honestly can't imagine anything better for the music I use them for. Prog rock/metal has never sounded so good.
Also just wanted to comment on soundstage. I've never put a huge amount of thought into soundstage when it comes to IEM's, but I would also agree that the ety's soundstage is pretty much non-existent. The GR01's have a bigger stage for sure. I've never heard the GR07, but people have compared the GR01's soundstage to the GR07 and said it was similar.
Edited by jasonb - 10/18/12 at 8:45pmpost #28 of 4410/18/12 at 10:44pmThread Starterpost #29 of 4410/18/12 at 10:57pmThread StarterReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Neutral IEM for Classical and Jazz with good soundstage and bass extension
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Popup ads 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 2 minutes ago
- › Mass Ko Bo 385 and Mass Ko Bo 395 with hi and Lo gain selector... 5 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 5 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i 9 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 9 minutes ago
- › Bob Dylan albums - Itunes vs. everything else. 10 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser PMX60 Headphones by sagar khichi
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by Cobaltius
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones by guidfail
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude