im a treble head, so i always want more treble, but the SE425 had sufficient treble for my liking, it is slightly rolled off but not severly. it would be my pick, i even prefer it over the SE535 (although with an upgrade cable, im loving my SE535 now)
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 10/19/12
- productFischer Audio DBA-02 Mk IItagged by System, 10/19/12
- productHiFiMAN RE272tagged by System, 10/19/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/19/12
- productRockit Sounds R-50tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productShure SE425 Earphonetagged by System, 10/19/12
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productVSONIC GR01tagged by System, 10/19/12
- productVSONIC GR07 MKIItagged by System, 10/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM suggestions... Help Last post on 12/28/12 at 4:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- new in-ear Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Neutral IEM for Classical and Jazz with good soundstage and bass extension - Page 2post #16 of 4410/18/12 at 4:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 4410/18/12 at 7:45amThread Starterpost #18 of 4410/18/12 at 7:48ampost #19 of 4410/18/12 at 7:54amThread Starterpost #20 of 4410/18/12 at 8:54ampost #21 of 4410/18/12 at 10:12amThread Starterpost #22 of 4410/18/12 at 10:25ampost #23 of 4410/18/12 at 10:27ampost #24 of 4410/18/12 at 11:35am
The SE425 are not any better than HF5 in bass region and i will highly recommed to try GR07 because they offers wider soundstage, tight punchy bass and very detailed mids, highs with good instruments separation. The GR01 willbe better pick over SE425 for good bass response and overall very detailed soundsignature. BTW RE272 is not light in bass region sepcialy if connect through AMPs because it's improve with AMPs help and you will amaze by the clarity and details it shows with great instruments sepration
Edited by ZARIM - 10/18/12 at 11:38ampost #25 of 4410/18/12 at 1:00pmMay I say that both me and my uncle (Andrew Poppy modern classical composer) both find the SE425 better than the HF5 in nearly all aspects, especially in the presentation of the music, they just have a very natural effortless sound to them, they may not be as accurate, or extended, or detailed, but they sound right, they don't sound artificial, they have a great soundstage and are very smooth and easy to listen topost #26 of 4410/18/12 at 6:07pmThread Starter
Last night, I listened again in detail to both the HF5 and the GR07 (AIFF / iPod 160GB / DIY silver LOD / iBasso P4 with AD797 and discrete transistor buffers), with the following result:
HF5: excellent speed and detail, very transparent, BUT next to no soundstage (it's all in the head) and tonally "off". They don't really do accurate timbre. They reminded me of the original (1980s) Linn Kan speakers!
GR07: more bass extension, better soundstage, BUT masking of fine detail, recessed mids and subjectively "slow"-sounding. Transients appear severely blunted. PLUS - very difficult to achieve a decent seal (I used Sony green hybrids in the end). I guess this just means that dynamics aren't for me....
Clearly, neither was entirely satisfactory.
In the end, my reasoning is that the GR01s will probably be too similar in sound signature to the Etys, plus there is some concern over whether I can get them to fit properly (as, if they have the same nozzle diameter as the GR07s, it will be difficult to find foam tips for them).
The Shures sound to me like they might go more in the direction of an "in-ear HD600", which is what I am looking for. Additionally, I know that Shure Olives fit me, achieve a good seal and are comfortable.
post #27 of 4410/18/12 at 8:39pm
The GR01 is definitely not going to sound exactly like the HF5. I tried an HF5 or HF3(whichever one has the ipod controls) and ended up returning it because I thought it lacked bass, and I didn't like the extremely deep fit. I was getting a good seal, but I just didn't like the comfort. The GR01 has much better bass, and actually has a more extended and sparklier treble as well. The GR01 never gets too aggressive in the upper mids or treble, but is still bright. It's bright, but not harsh or grainy. I like it much more than the HF3/HF5.
As for foam tips, the Monster Supertips fit, and there should be a comply that fits, but I'm not sure which one is the right fit. I have settled on the supplied bi-flange tips, great comfort and isolation.
I love my GR01's and honestly can't imagine anything better for the music I use them for. Prog rock/metal has never sounded so good.
Also just wanted to comment on soundstage. I've never put a huge amount of thought into soundstage when it comes to IEM's, but I would also agree that the ety's soundstage is pretty much non-existent. The GR01's have a bigger stage for sure. I've never heard the GR07, but people have compared the GR01's soundstage to the GR07 and said it was similar.
Edited by jasonb - 10/18/12 at 8:45pmpost #28 of 4410/18/12 at 10:44pmThread Starterpost #29 of 4410/18/12 at 10:57pmThread StarterQuote:
Could you please send me the link for the cable...Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Neutral IEM for Classical and Jazz with good soundstage and bass extension
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Introducing the Dacamp L1, flagship CL1 Ceramic and CL750 from RHA 1 minute ago
- › Samsung Note 7 - just around the corner , audiophile phone? 1 minute ago
- › Questyle QP1 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 7 minutes ago
- › Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth Headphone Reviews Wanted---Bluetooth... 7 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 8 minutes ago
- › Meze 12 Classics review tour - worldwide reviewers wanted! 8 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 10 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 11 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...