Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4 - Page 8

post #106 of 170
Thread Starter 

I'll say you will get excellent mid and bass from BA200 - however, as with all this kind of situations, words can only go so far to describe things. You'll have to try it out yourself to really know whether my 'excellent' will match your taste or not. Asking someone on the side of the world who never really know you to confirm for you just doesn't work. You want to take review and opinion as a guide, but not absolute rule. You can read as much as you want, but it really doesn't get you anywhere you want.

post #107 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I'll say you will get excellent mid and bass from BA200 - however, as with all this kind of situations, words can only go so far to describe things. You'll have to try it out yourself to really know whether my 'excellent' will match your taste or not. Asking someone on the side of the world who never really know you to confirm for you just doesn't work. You want to take review and opinion as a guide, but not absolute rule. You can read as much as you want, but it really doesn't get you anywhere you want.

 

thanks man. i've ordered the fxd70. i'll come to post my layman review again when they arrive :D if the treble is not sibilant then i think i really read my way into a upgrade for my panasonic. haha, ya i know reading people's opinion is subjective, but i cant find any graph, measurement for the fxd70. no choice regarding auditioning earphones in person, cause my country's item return policy is almost non-existent and i am not experienced at selling 2nd hand stuff online. :)

i see some websites measure the performance of earphones and then post the graphs, if only there was a website doing for even more brands/types of earphone then it will be a lot less subjective in terms of reviewing for actual perceived sound quality of the earphone. cause i also understand we also must take into consideration that each different person has hearing loss to different extents. those are my thoughts after reading so many reviews now.

decided i cant buy worn over ear after all, too much hassle with spectacles already. 


Edited by pokpokgei - 2/1/13 at 9:28pm
post #108 of 170

I loaned my XBA-1 to my friend who of course lost them so I bought another pair or should I say he bought me a pair and I forgot how much I really like these IEM's.  For what you can get them at now which is around $60 its well worth it and I think one of the best values you can get.  The XBA-1 is a warm very smooth IEM with good detail and over all just a well rounded IEM.  I like the which has good punch for a small single BA, the mids are also smooth and a bit forward with good detail and warmth and the highs like everything else are also smooth and laid back but again you still get plenty of detail.  The presentation is very well rounded with an above average soundstage for a single BA imo and the imaging and separation are also good but nothing like a triple or quad BA setup but still very cohesive.

 

I actually like the XBA-1 a bit more than the X10 and that's why I'm going to sale them and if you would have told me a week ago I'd do that I would have said no way but I just like the signature of the XBA-1 more.  So anyone looking for a good under $100 IEM that's musical, warm with good detail and a cohesive sound the XBA-1 is a very good choice imo.

 

Now I'm thinking a trying the XBA-3 or XBA-4 but I can't decide which one I should get but I'm leaning toward the XBA-4 just because 4 is more. wink.gif

post #109 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I loaned my XBA-1 to my friend who of course lost them so I bought another pair or should I say he bought me a pair and I forgot how much I really like these IEM's.  For what you can get them at now which is around $60 its well worth it and I think one of the best values you can get.  The XBA-1 is a warm very smooth IEM with good detail and over all just a well rounded IEM.  I like the which has good punch for a small single BA, the mids are also smooth and a bit forward with good detail and warmth and the highs like everything else are also smooth and laid back but again you still get plenty of detail.  The presentation is very well rounded with an above average soundstage for a single BA imo and the imaging and separation are also good but nothing like a triple or quad BA setup but still very cohesive.

 

I actually like the XBA-1 a bit more than the X10 and that's why I'm going to sale them and if you would have told me a week ago I'd do that I would have said no way but I just like the signature of the XBA-1 more.  So anyone looking for a good under $100 IEM that's musical, warm with good detail and a cohesive sound the XBA-1 is a very good choice imo.

 

Now I'm thinking a trying the XBA-3 or XBA-4 but I can't decide which one I should get but I'm leaning toward the XBA-4 just because 4 is more. wink.gif

The XBA-3 is a good choice if you like the MH1C, the XBA-4 has a bigger soundstage, but it's treble sounded more artificial to me. Apparently the new XBA-30 and 40 are better, the metallic treble response of the previous gen is removed.

post #110 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokpokgei View Post

 

thanks man. i've ordered the fxd70. i'll come to post my layman review again when they arrive :D if the treble is not sibilant then i think i really read my way into a upgrade for my panasonic. haha, ya i know reading people's opinion is subjective, but i cant find any graph, measurement for the fxd70. no choice regarding auditioning earphones in person, cause my country's item return policy is almost non-existent and i am not experienced at selling 2nd hand stuff online. :)

<snip>

decided i cant buy worn over ear after all, too much hassle with spectacles already. 

 

The fxd70's are very good. They were too bright for me though until I used the foam tips that came with my R1's and started wearing them over the ears. The result is a deeper insertion, lovely bass, balanced sound with the brightness toned down. Fwiw!

post #111 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

The XBA-3 is a good choice if you like the MH1C, the XBA-4 has a bigger soundstage, but it's treble sounded more artificial to me. Apparently the new XBA-30 and 40 are better, the metallic treble response of the previous gen is removed.

 

+1. The XBA-30 is like a high-end version of the MH1C. Identical tuning but much clearer with more resolution. I don't think the XBA-3 would be more like the MH1C since apparently the highs can be harsh, which is not like the MH1C at all.

post #112 of 170

I got a pair of XBA-4 today for a ridiculous price. I still can't believe it. Having owned the XBA-3 and owning the XBA-1, I have to say these are HUGE. Their sound quality is the most source dependent I've come into in any pair of headphones or IEM. The soundstage is pretty wide for an in ear and doesn't differ that much between sources, but the layering is a completely different story. They sound almost exactly as the XBA-3 except when using a DAC or a very low impedance source; then you can feel the ruuuumble. The sound is good, although not super clear, but such inconsistence...I'll have to wait to get used to them. 

post #113 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyle View Post

Their sound quality is the most source dependent I've come into in any pair of headphones or IEM.

That's due to their extremely low impedance of 8ohm at 1khz. So basically you get optimum results when paired to an amp with <1ohm output impedance (like ODAC).


Edited by L0SLobos - 2/23/13 at 8:56pm
post #114 of 170

Now that I'm more used to them I'm really enjoying their sound quite a lot. These are great for all kinds of music except for tracks heavy on the violin; this is the only evident flaw I found. The highs are not piercing nor sibilant, but they are noticeably grainy. I don't think they will change their sound signature as I've not ever heard any effect of burn-in in BA IEMs. Another minor fault is that they are sooo big in all directions that I have to readjust them as the canals of my outer ear are..intrincate, I guess? Vertically they are just fine, but they are wide horizontally and that causes little trouble after several minutes of use. 


Edited by Arkyle - 2/24/13 at 10:25am
post #115 of 170
1st time writing on headfi :! Sorry guys n gals going to have to bear with me here (don't yet know all the lingo).... !!! USING IPOD TOUCH 5 !!!... Had many £10 pairs of iem's. then went sound magic e10 -> Sony xba 2ip -> Sony xba 4. I found the "4's" to be very analitical (revealing of the sauce file)

!! ANY DISTORTION AT ALL!! WILL BE NOTICABLE.

I know a lot of the community won't like this but I use iTunes...(space for abuse)... I have found that if you turn off apples "pre amp" + turn the volume to 100% it realy brings the "4's" to life + iTunes Match has realy helped my baught, begged, ??Borrowed?? music collection.

??Anyone know if they can be further improved with a portable amp??

Hope this makes sence!
post #116 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0SLobos View Post

That's due to their extremely low impedance of 8ohm at 1khz. So basically you get optimum results when paired to an amp with <1ohm output impedance (like ODAC).

 

I assume you mean O2.

post #117 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I assume you mean O2.
Yeah sorry about that. I was referring to the amp, not DAC.
post #118 of 170
I have been tossing up between the XBA-4 and 3 as well. Is there a massive difference to justify the price excess? From what I have read there isn't a that big of a difference between them. Just curious since I am looking at picking up a set, and don't have too much experience with IEM's (more of a full sized headphone guy wink.gif )
post #119 of 170

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you a heads up. Like Carlsan I have a pair of XBA-40's now and I can tell you that the sound has been tuned compared to the XBA-4. There is less of a metallic tone, bass is stronger, and overall the XBA-40 is a little darker.

 

I'm going to write up a review / make a video soon but just wanted to confirm that there was a difference.

post #120 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows1 View Post

I have been tossing up between the XBA-4 and 3 as well. Is there a massive difference to justify the price excess? From what I have read there isn't a that big of a difference between them. Just curious since I am looking at picking up a set, and don't have too much experience with IEM's (more of a full sized headphone guy wink.gif )

I've owned both. The XBA-4 feels fuller across the spectrum compared to the XBA-3, but lacks coherence. Sometimes the drivers work beautifully, but others it feels as if each driver is doing whatever it wants; that didn't happen with the XBA-3. Also I found the bass on the XBA-3 to pack more punch, but to be less full than the 4s. Crazy stuff, but I think the XBA-3 are not really a downgrade but are just a different flavor. IMO the XBA-4 suits my music tastes more than the XBA-3, so that's why I'm keeping the 4s. I bought them new from the sony store for a ridiculous price of less than half their original retail price (which pretty much shows how cheap are these things to make in reality) and I guess that has something to do with the new XBA-X0 models. 


Edited by Arkyle - 3/3/13 at 1:53pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Sony XBA-1 and XBA-4