Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 7

post #91 of 792

 

 

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2012/rmaf2012_apex.htm

post #92 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

was it an international s3?

 

Yes, it's a GT-I9300 running Siyah kernel and a Jelly Bean build of the Omega ROM. The USB connection should work fine on a stock OS too though.

post #93 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

 

 

Thank you, so is it close to the TTVjslim SQ/signature, better or different?

 

And  in case you did not have the TTVJslim before, how do you find its SQ signature (warm or neutral...etc....)...would appreciate your update.

 

I have never used the TTVjslim, and I only really listened for a few moments to make sure the USB was working correctly, so I can't really give any meaningful comparisons. I can say it did not seem overly warm though, and I didn't notice any particularly emphasized frequencies.

post #94 of 792

nice! is omega derived from samsung jelly bean? i thought only touchwhiz roms supported usb audio atm. but certainly looks promising, im interested.

post #95 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

nice! is omega derived from samsung jelly bean? i thought only touchwhiz roms supported usb audio atm. but certainly looks promising, im interested.

 

No, most ROMs are built on a TouchWiz base and will have the same USB audio capabilities as pure stock firmwares. Only the AOSP/AOKP/CM ROMs will lack USB audio.

post #96 of 792
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

 

 

Thank you, so is it close to the TTVjslim SQ/signature, better or different?

 

And  in case you did not have the TTVJslim before, how do you find its SQ signature (warm or neutral...etc....)...would appreciate your update.


It is the same signature as the TTVJ Slim (tuned to sound like a very good tube amp), but with extra extension due to the better power supply.

post #97 of 792
Has anyone found a way to use the USB input with an adaptor for use with the iphone4s or 5
Bypassing the internal DAC of the phones
post #98 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


It is the same signature as the TTVJ Slim (tuned to sound like a very good tube amp), but with extra extension due to the better power supply.

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to read.
post #99 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

The Apex Glacier is 96/24 capable, but we need someone who has it to try a 96/24 track and see if it works.

I have 24/96 references on my Galaxy S3 so I'll try em when the glacier comes in on thursday. I also have a hundred or so 24/192 rips on my laptop that I'll try (although my BiFrost has desktop duty well covered).

Kojaku
post #100 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Has anyone found a way to use the USB input with an adaptor for use with the iphone4s or 5
Bypassing the internal DAC of the phones

Good luck with that. I left iDevice land for this specific reason. Apple licensing shoots the price of a decent dac/amp to $600ish (VAMP, HP-P1, CLAS). Plus none of those have a Pete Millett designed amp section and the CLAS doesn't even have an amp...

Kojaku
post #101 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

 

No, most ROMs are built on a TouchWiz base and will have the same USB audio capabilities as pure stock firmwares. Only the AOSP/AOKP/CM ROMs will lack USB audio.

 

That's right, Omega is based on TouchWiz, so you get all the Samsung features you want with none of the ones you don't want. It's been 100% stable for me and the battery life of the phone has been great without all the extra junk running. Definitely recommended if you don't mind rooting your phone.

post #102 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibraltar View Post

That's right, Omega is based on TouchWiz, so you get all the Samsung features you want with none of the ones you don't want. It's been 100% stable for me and the battery life of the phone has been great without all the extra junk running. Definitely recommended if you don't mind rooting your phone.

Where is the best place to get the Omega rom?
I hope the mini s3 will have the USB driver as well. I will use it as a dap, and remove everything non music related.
post #103 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post


Where is the best place to get the Omega rom?
I hope the mini s3 will have the USB driver as well. I will use it as a dap, and remove everything non music related.

 

Galaxy Mini doesn't have USB OTG, so I don't think that will be an option.

 

Omega ROM you can get from XDA-developers.com

post #104 of 792

the only rom ive tried was cm10 and while it was pretty slick and nice my mobile data wasnt working so i went back to samsung jelly bean.ill give omega a shot seeing that its derived from touchwhiz

post #105 of 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Galaxy Mini doesn't have USB OTG, so I don't think that will be an option.

Omega ROM you can get from XDA-developers.com

Galaxy S3 mini...still not out but will be soon. Are you sure about that and how?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread