Would the Glacier pair well with IE8? Hoping to get clearer, brighter mids and highs.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApex High Fi Audio Glacier Portable Amp/Dactagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODELtagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung Galaxy Note 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Blue)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Pink)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productTTVJ Portable (Slim)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productWestone ES 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Westone Elite Series or Ultimate Ears Pro Recommendations Last post on 3/15/14 at 9:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Smartphone with warm sound Last post on 2/18/14 at 12:21am in Portable Source Gear
- NWZ-F886 manufacturing defect Last post on 2/8/14 at 7:48am in Portable Source Gear
- Best Smartphone for audiophile Last post on 7/30/14 at 6:56am in Portable Source Gear
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 45
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If you want a slim amp, I recommend an Arrow over the Glacier for that preference. You will get more treble focus and sharpness. If you don't mind amp size, and want to go even further for extreme quality treble, I suggest an iQube.
For analytical IEMs like JH13, I prefer the Glacier though. It has great bass for better synergy - the Glacier's bass is about the same amount as Arrow with Bass boost 1, but a little more deep. So far I like how the Glacier pairs with JH13.
The build quality is very good. I used it for couple months and the printing was fine.
Well guys, pulled the trigger and got myself the Glacier it looks, feels and sounds awesome. Somehow it pairs really well with my ie8 and Chris himself hybrid cables. Mids are much smoother, and highs are noticeably distinct and clearer, not exactly brighter as muzic4life had mentioned. Speaks much about the increase in transparency and imaging. Was listening to a few live orchestral pieces, heard someone in the audience cough and could almost pinpoint his position. All in all, pretty stoked with the new setup
Haha i wld use the dac if i cld but well the usb is kinda erm not so sturdy so the usb for the dac came off, have yet to send it back haha. Nice seeing another SG headfi-er. Just be careful with the usb socket haha XD. I feel IMHO the dac of the CLAS is more detailed (not by leaps and bounds) than the dac of the glacier and the soundstage tends to be more 3d, but one of the biggest differences is that the dac of the CLAS is colder than that of the glacier however, Source -> Dac of glacier -> Glacier amp -> mid centric headphone/ iem, some good vocal music and you be in cloud 9 haha XD. I see u may soon get the IE8, haha very good pair, my first pair of "audiophile" earphones oh ya, sorry for your wallet XD
Edited by iamdacow - 10/27/13 at 5:34am
Glacier at $430 VS Quickstep at $325. Decisions!Edit: after thinking for a while, I'm pulling the trigger on the glacier. I don't really need the power of the quickstep yet and it's also better for my wallet because the glacier has an integrated dac so I don't have to buy one
Edited by BucketInABucket - 11/8/13 at 3:46am
Thanks, enjoying it right now with the HD25 Aluminium, pretty good synergy between the four components
- Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 44 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Melbourne Head-Fi meet in second half of 2014 3 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 6 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 upgrade? HELP (urgent) 6 minutes ago
- › HeadRoom Static - Line Level Audio Processor 7 minutes ago
- › WTT for Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 or other Standalone DAC with... 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 10 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)