I think that I get the concept of depth. My favourite IEM right now is the IE800. It is bold and forward; it does not have the layering of the ES5. Layering is a sense of intricacy where not everything is on the same forward plane. What you gain in subtlety, you lose in "in your face" transparency. There is a trade-off; you cannot have it all in one headphone. Then again, I have never heard a high-end Stax set-up (just the in-ear version). Perhaps that can give you some of the two together.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApex High Fi Audio Glacier Portable Amp/Dactagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODELtagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung Galaxy Note 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Blue)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Pink)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productTTVJ Portable (Slim)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productWestone ES 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best Smartphone for audiophile Last post on 11/18/13 at 8:55am in Portable Source Gear
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a "dark" portable amp for my DT770 Pro/250 Last post on 11/18/12 at 8:54pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Searching for a High-End Portable amp for my customs Last post on 8/1/12 at 8:03am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for HD 650 Last post on 7/14/12 at 6:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/17/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 27post #391 of 7072/12/13 at 3:49am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 7072/12/13 at 4:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by turokrocks
I had some good time with the Glacier, just so busy with work, holidays...
I had only to reset+gain once to stop the amp from charging from the Dac usb, and the gain switch to bring it to 0, but never had to reset it.
Please note that I never had the chance to connect it to my PC, just using it with my Note2, connected thru usb, giving me one of the best packages, as to the interface of the Note 2 and the SQ of the Glacier.
What usb cable are you using in this photo?post #393 of 7072/12/13 at 7:34pmpost #394 of 7072/12/13 at 7:37pmQuote:
The toxic cable is mini usb to micro usb not micro usb to micro usb?post #395 of 7072/12/13 at 7:38pmpost #396 of 7072/12/13 at 9:45pm
Its a modified Venturecraft cable:post #397 of 7072/12/13 at 11:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by turokrocks
Its a modified Venturecraft cable:
Can someone modify one for me and ill pay you? I have the hakshop one which works but it sticks out too much and one of the ends is quite tight when inserting it into a device.post #398 of 7072/13/13 at 1:30ampost #399 of 7072/13/13 at 2:18am
Bass is there, you can hear it clearly and it is tight, controlled and without overshadowing others.
Not boomy or muffed but also not big, its punch is in the upper bass. the bass is energetic and fast, as I said it is a complete package of good things (not only one or two) made in the right quantities which makes me smile.post #400 of 7072/13/13 at 2:47ampost #401 of 7072/13/13 at 2:52ampost #402 of 7072/15/13 at 8:19pm
I'm currently waiting for a pair of Spiral Ears 5 Way to arrive, and was thinking of using my Note 2 with the Glacier & SE5.
Can anyone suggest whether this would be a good idea or not suggestable?post #403 of 7072/16/13 at 1:02am
Just got my glacier today and WOW first impressions are so far good but gonna wait for it to burn in. One thing that surprised me on this was its ability to make the jh13 churn out some serious sub bass, not alot in terms of quantity but very good in quality. PRaT is also good.post #404 of 7072/16/13 at 2:04amQuote:Originally Posted by iamdacow
Just got my glacier today and WOW first impressions are so far good but gonna wait for it to burn in. One thing that surprised me on this was its ability to make the jh13 churn out some serious sub bass, not alot in terms of quantity but very good in quality. PRaT is also good.
Congrats...wait and give it some time.
Make sure to stop the usb dac from charging.
It will make you smile, more often than you think, just keep the reviews/impressions coming, and with some pics....post #405 of 7072/16/13 at 3:20am
- Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 34 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 48 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Online Vendors for buying headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › The best headphones in terms of dynamics 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.6 7 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe