Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 24

post #346 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

 

I've not Rooted the Butterfly, pure stock. Didn't do anything, just plugged it in via a USB OTG cable (it MUST be an OTG cable) and that's it. I had already set the Glacier NOT to charge off a USB audio input, and USB Debugging was on by default on my Butterfly.

 

Apart from possibly not using an OTG cable the only reason I can think of for it not to work on your Butterfly would be that your firmware is slightly older. There was a very recent firmware that added USB OTG support, mine shipped with it, but those being sold in Asia for the last several weeks may not have shipped on that firmware.

Thanks for the info.  I suspect my cable is not OTG capable and I have ordered one online.  Hope it will work this time.  Appreciate your input.

post #347 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post

Thanks for the info.  I suspect my cable is not OTG capable and I have ordered one online.  Hope it will work this time.  Appreciate your input.

 

You're welcome, hopefully that is the only issue and you can enjoy using your Apex with your phone soon :)

post #348 of 804
Is the sound quality of the apex dac much better than the s3 wolfson dac?

Would i get better sound quality using the apex glacier with my s3 or just using a good amp like the alo continental with my s3?

Does the apex have good synergy with denon d5000s?
post #349 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Is the sound quality of the apex dac much better than the s3 wolfson dac?

Would i get better sound quality using the apex glacier with my s3 or just using a good amp like the alo continental with my s3?

Does the apex have good synergy with denon d5000s?

im hoping so as well but i assume that anyhting full size will be better than a mobile offering.im interested in getting glacier for my gs3 i9300

post #350 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

im hoping so as well but i assume that anyhting full size will be better than a mobile offering.im interested in getting glacier for my gs3 i9300

What are you doing wasting time being "interested". Go get it now....wink_face.gif.

 

I am still surprised that I get this kind of clarity and fun  (with more than enough power) from such a small amp...it just works, even with my HE-500, I never feel that I am missing a lot...

post #351 of 804

Has anyone tried this amp with some super sensitive iems like the shure 535? There's conflicting reports on this thread someone on this thread mentioned hum and hiss Im a bit worried about the hum and would like a honest report as this amp/dacs on my list to consider. Thanks

post #352 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

Has anyone tried this amp with some super sensitive iems like the shure 535? There's conflicting reports on this thread someone on this thread mentioned hum and hiss Im a bit worried about the hum and would like a honest report as this amp/dacs on my list to consider. Thanks


I tried it briefly (15mn) with Shure SE530x6 (Um reshells) and did not notice hiss.

post #353 of 804

Someone on this thread mentioned hum that got louder with the volume. Thanks for the hiss report.

post #354 of 804

I should really ask if anyone noticed any hum when paired with a samsung s3 as this is my plan.

post #355 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

I should really ask if anyone noticed any hum when paired with a samsung s3 as this is my plan.

I'll have mine sometime this week so I"ll let you know if I notice it with my S3.
post #356 of 804

That'll be great, thanks.

post #357 of 804

Hi there, sorry if this question sounds random or stupid, I've been reading a lot but I can't seem to grasp the concept of how the USB OTG function works along with the player and the external DAC.

 

Basically I want to find out if the Samsung Galaxy player in any size can function with the Apex Glacier as an external DAC?

If yes, how do I go about doing it, and if no, why doesn't it work?

 

Sorry again, your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

 

Edit: Are there any alternative Media players with small form factor if the Galaxy player doesnt work with the Apex Glacier? Don't really want to resort to using a S3 as a music player:/


Edited by Hahayyy - 2/4/13 at 9:15am
post #358 of 804
I have had the Apex Glacier and Solo-db bundle for a couple of weeks now. I can report that hiss is definitely not an issue for me with my Jerry Harvey JH5 custom in-ear monitors regardless of whether I'm using the solo-db as Dac or the Glacier's internal one. I'm also using the combo with my Sennheiser HD650s. Needless to say, there's no hiss there either.

The gain switch and volume control are definitely as nice as advertised. There is a very large usable range of volume with very smooth and small increments so you can easily be right where you want volume-wise. I was surprised to notice that even on the second and third higher gain levels there is still hardly any hiss. I would say on second there isnt any clearly identifiable hiss. i cant remembered if there is some on the highest, but even then it would be nothing more than very subtle. ill have to double check on that. I keep the glacier on the middle gain setting since that has more ample power for my hd650 yet has no hiss issues with my JH5. It's super convenient that I can get away with that.

I had an ALO continental v1 here a couple of weeks ago and the hiss was significant, although it sounded great aside from that in my opinion (stellar eith hd650). On the Glacier at times you can't there if there is indeed no hiss or if there might be a minuscule barely audible layer. I find myself thinking I might be able to detect some, but then unplugging my IEMs and noticing its background room noise. Overall, I can say that hiss or any kind of noise is a big show stopper for me, and I have been completely satisfied with it in this regard.
post #359 of 804

Thanks Sid-Fi, thats me pretty much sold me (just found out the RSA Predator and Intruder still draw power from the phone for the DAC section so those two are off the list) Im also using for it Customs and hd650's so your information has been very helpful. Ive had a chat with Todd from TTVJ and he has some micro (host) to micro (standard) cables coming in which he's going to test with the s3 and put up on his website sometime this week (hopefully).

post #360 of 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy1969 View Post

Thanks Sid-Fi, thats me pretty much sold me (just found out the RSA Predator and Intruder still draw power from the phone for the DAC section so those two are off the list) Im also using for it Customs and hd650's so your information has been very helpful. Ive had a chat with Todd from TTVJ and he has some micro (host) to micro (standard) cables coming in which he's going to test with the s3 and put up on his website sometime this week (hopefully).

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted when available.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread