Just quick note that the Apex Glacier is working as a DAC/amp via USB audio on my HTC Butterfly, seems the number of Android manufacturers supporting USB audio is increasing...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApex High Fi Audio Glacier Portable Amp/Dactagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODELtagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung Galaxy Note 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Blue)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Pink)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productTTVJ Portable (Slim)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productWestone ES 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Westone Elite Series or Ultimate Ears Pro Recommendations Last post on 3/15/14 at 9:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Smartphone with warm sound Last post on 2/18/14 at 12:21am in Portable Source Gear
- NWZ-F886 manufacturing defect Last post on 2/8/14 at 7:48am in Portable Source Gear
- Best Smartphone for audiophile Last post on 9/18/14 at 5:34pm in Portable Source Gear
- What to get for Christmas? Last post on 12/6/12 at 3:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 23
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If you dont mind, how do the hd 25's pair with the glacier? Is there any hiss? I've got the amperiors, and my glacier has just cleared customs after a week, so should have it soon, hopefully. Thanks
Sorry, my inventory has changed but for some reason it doesn't seem to propagate through to my signature - no longer have the HD25. They should be an excellent pairing with Glacier, should be no hiss.
Oh okay, thanks for the reply.
Hopefully i should get my glacier tomorrow. Decided to call my local depot to pay my customs fees. Got tired of waiting for the letter to come through.
Sorry don't have the hd25 but do have the amperiors. Will leave impressions when i have spent some time with the glacier.
oh even better as I have a pair of amperiors on the way!
I'm curious to find out if the GLACIER + AMPERIOR would mean BRIGHT + BRIGHT = too bright
but man, that little Glacier is one sexy amp. And I like the way the input is in back and the output is in front.
Hi NZtechfreak, I tried but could not get my Glacier to work with the HTC Butterfly. Must you activate USB debugging or must it be rooted? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.
I am sure i did as it works with my ipad mini. I followed the instructions on the manual posted some posts back and it works with my iPads. Do you need to go setting or it will just detect the DAC?
im using the glacier with er4s. which are super up front. on good recordings, esp for classical this is amazing. yet i do hear clicks and clipping which Mastering engineers may have
missed due to using speakers. but with good material the glacier+er4s is incredibly transparent and a great listen.
Got my glacier yesterday, pretty pleased with it. Looks great, but seems to scracth quite easily. The light at the front is cool, but a bit too bright for my liking. The volume control is pretty neat too, and the gain is low enough for sensitive iems. There is little hiss with the ie80's, but the amperiors are fine :).
Sorry I haven't posted anything real yet, I haven't used the Glacier and RS1 as much as I thought I was going to be, been busy back in school, but over the last couple days, I've been putting in more time and all I can say is that whether its the DAC or the amp or the combo of them together, the RS1s just don't have the same life without the Glacier.
I cannot say which is providing the biggest gain because this is my very first DAC and amp. The RS1s do sound good unamped straight out of my iPhone 4, 2012 Macbook Air, and Sansa Fuze+ but definitely not as good as when plugged into the Glacier.
I will post later about the bass, treble, soundstage, and instrument separation I've noticed (all improved).
Overall resolution of songs: lots of lower quality music I have sounds horrible thanks to the Glacier's improved resolution and retrieval of details). I hear what the loudness problem of recordings even more now, the volume range available to listen comfortably with these tracks is tooooo small. Some music literally sounds compressed to me now. Like if you were squeezing it closer together with your hands. (Been hearing the bad mostly with <320 kbps) Good quality tracks sound great, details are more obvious. Computer/background noise more obvious when comparing to running unamped.
I do hear hiss but only when changing songs. I think its the RFI thats getting through, because it occasionally comes up during the beginning of a song and always goes away after a few seconds. Rarely will hiss begin and be heard during mid/end-song playback. My iPhone is rarely farther than 2-3 feet away from the Glacier.
Same amount of hiss using both my Klipsch s4 IEMs and RS1s, at any volume.
Like posted before, Grado RS1s + Apex Glacier = not too bright at all. Smooth to me.
This thing is freaking rad. Awesome form and function. I'd definitely recommend it! I don't like using my RS1s without it now and because of its super thin and slim profile, I think I'm going to start bringing it to daily to school with me just to use with my Klipsch s4's.
--- this was my 200th post!
Edited by SurfWax - 1/26/13 at 10:26pm
I've not Rooted the Butterfly, pure stock. Didn't do anything, just plugged it in via a USB OTG cable (it MUST be an OTG cable) and that's it. I had already set the Glacier NOT to charge off a USB audio input, and USB Debugging was on by default on my Butterfly.
Apart from possibly not using an OTG cable the only reason I can think of for it not to work on your Butterfly would be that your firmware is slightly older. There was a very recent firmware that added USB OTG support, mine shipped with it, but those being sold in Asia for the last several weeks may not have shipped on that firmware.
- Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 26 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 53 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 with 128GB 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)