Just quick note that the Apex Glacier is working as a DAC/amp via USB audio on my HTC Butterfly, seems the number of Android manufacturers supporting USB audio is increasing...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productApex High Fi Audio Glacier Portable Amp/Dactagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) NEWEST MODELtagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productApple iPhone 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productJDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifiertagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung Galaxy Note 2tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Blue)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productSamsung S3 4 GB Slim Portable Media Player (Pink)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productTTVJ Portable (Slim)tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
- productWestone ES 5tagged by dbsaffor, 9/23/13
Related Forum Threads
- Westone Elite Series or Ultimate Ears Pro Recommendations Last post on 3/15/14 at 9:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Smartphone with warm sound Last post on 2/18/14 at 12:21am in Portable Source Gear
- NWZ-F886 manufacturing defect Last post on 2/8/14 at 7:48am in Portable Source Gear
- Best Smartphone for audiophile Last post on Today at 9:23 am in Portable Source Gear
- Website to buy headphones? Last post on 3/22/13 at 12:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
Moon Neo Series 430 HAD Reference Headphone Amplifier With optional DSD/32-Bit PCM DAC Eric Neff Headphone.Guru June 2015 CanJam at RMAF last October was bursting at the seams....
Not as stylish as an A&K but very well built, apart from the flimsy wheel. Good materials and nice finishes and overall intiutive U.I. give a quite nice experience. First of, some APE and DSD...
I will mainly be comparing to A65. Build of these is excellent, but not quite as nice as A65 due to the half plastic housing. It is of very high quality though, it shouldn't affect...
Just a short review, as there is really not a lot to say, which is a good thing, nothing to complain about with these. Build is excellent, they feel supremely solid, I mean even 1k+ iems don't...
INTRODUCTION The Encore RockMaster IE is a new crowd-funded IEM from SonicUnity, and new audio company formed by Rick Hopkins. Rick's a music industry veteran who's helped with concert design for...
Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 23
Gear mentioned in this thread:
If you dont mind, how do the hd 25's pair with the glacier? Is there any hiss? I've got the amperiors, and my glacier has just cleared customs after a week, so should have it soon, hopefully. Thanks
Sorry, my inventory has changed but for some reason it doesn't seem to propagate through to my signature - no longer have the HD25. They should be an excellent pairing with Glacier, should be no hiss.
Oh okay, thanks for the reply.
Hopefully i should get my glacier tomorrow. Decided to call my local depot to pay my customs fees. Got tired of waiting for the letter to come through.
Sorry don't have the hd25 but do have the amperiors. Will leave impressions when i have spent some time with the glacier.
oh even better as I have a pair of amperiors on the way!
I'm curious to find out if the GLACIER + AMPERIOR would mean BRIGHT + BRIGHT = too bright
but man, that little Glacier is one sexy amp. And I like the way the input is in back and the output is in front.
Hi NZtechfreak, I tried but could not get my Glacier to work with the HTC Butterfly. Must you activate USB debugging or must it be rooted? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.
I am sure i did as it works with my ipad mini. I followed the instructions on the manual posted some posts back and it works with my iPads. Do you need to go setting or it will just detect the DAC?
im using the glacier with er4s. which are super up front. on good recordings, esp for classical this is amazing. yet i do hear clicks and clipping which Mastering engineers may have
missed due to using speakers. but with good material the glacier+er4s is incredibly transparent and a great listen.
Got my glacier yesterday, pretty pleased with it. Looks great, but seems to scracth quite easily. The light at the front is cool, but a bit too bright for my liking. The volume control is pretty neat too, and the gain is low enough for sensitive iems. There is little hiss with the ie80's, but the amperiors are fine :).
Sorry I haven't posted anything real yet, I haven't used the Glacier and RS1 as much as I thought I was going to be, been busy back in school, but over the last couple days, I've been putting in more time and all I can say is that whether its the DAC or the amp or the combo of them together, the RS1s just don't have the same life without the Glacier.
I cannot say which is providing the biggest gain because this is my very first DAC and amp. The RS1s do sound good unamped straight out of my iPhone 4, 2012 Macbook Air, and Sansa Fuze+ but definitely not as good as when plugged into the Glacier.
I will post later about the bass, treble, soundstage, and instrument separation I've noticed (all improved).
Overall resolution of songs: lots of lower quality music I have sounds horrible thanks to the Glacier's improved resolution and retrieval of details). I hear what the loudness problem of recordings even more now, the volume range available to listen comfortably with these tracks is tooooo small. Some music literally sounds compressed to me now. Like if you were squeezing it closer together with your hands. (Been hearing the bad mostly with <320 kbps) Good quality tracks sound great, details are more obvious. Computer/background noise more obvious when comparing to running unamped.
I do hear hiss but only when changing songs. I think its the RFI thats getting through, because it occasionally comes up during the beginning of a song and always goes away after a few seconds. Rarely will hiss begin and be heard during mid/end-song playback. My iPhone is rarely farther than 2-3 feet away from the Glacier.
Same amount of hiss using both my Klipsch s4 IEMs and RS1s, at any volume.
Like posted before, Grado RS1s + Apex Glacier = not too bright at all. Smooth to me.
This thing is freaking rad. Awesome form and function. I'd definitely recommend it! I don't like using my RS1s without it now and because of its super thin and slim profile, I think I'm going to start bringing it to daily to school with me just to use with my Klipsch s4's.
--- this was my 200th post!
Edited by SurfWax - 1/26/13 at 10:26pm
I've not Rooted the Butterfly, pure stock. Didn't do anything, just plugged it in via a USB OTG cable (it MUST be an OTG cable) and that's it. I had already set the Glacier NOT to charge off a USB audio input, and USB Debugging was on by default on my Butterfly.
Apart from possibly not using an OTG cable the only reason I can think of for it not to work on your Butterfly would be that your firmware is slightly older. There was a very recent firmware that added USB OTG support, mine shipped with it, but those being sold in Asia for the last several weeks may not have shipped on that firmware.
- Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lets Talk Metal 18 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Beat Audio Prima Donna Cable for JH (Layla, Angie or Roxannes) 6 minutes ago
- › Simaudio MOON Neo 430HA by longbowbbs
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by flognarde
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Encore RockMaster IE by nmatheis
- › Noble 3 by WhatToChoose
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by dazzerfong
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by hakushondaimao
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by goodyfresh
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2