Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread - Page 18

post #256 of 796

Pulled the trigger on one of these today. Can't wait to see where it fits in with my Intruder, Leckerton UHA.6S-MKII, and HeadAmp Pico.

post #257 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Pulled the trigger on one of these today. Can't wait to see where it fits in with my Intruder, Leckerton UHA.6S-MKII, and HeadAmp Pico.

 

 

Hope you like it, Sound wise, as its really a "piece of ART".

With all its shortcomings (only 1 or  2..) its still one of my favorite amps (and dacs).


Edited by turokrocks - 1/7/13 at 3:37am
post #258 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post

 

 

Hope you like it, Sound wise, as its really a "piece of ART".

With all its shortcomings (only 1 or  2..) its still one of my favorite amps (and dacs).

What are its shortcomings in your opinion?

post #259 of 796
Rfi. And the thud when powering on with iems.
post #260 of 796
I ordered the venture raft cable and also found this one http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg.

Will using the wrong cable cause any issues with either the phone or the glacier? If so I just want to make sure I get the right cable the first time.
post #261 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

Rfi. And the thud when powering on with iems.
Yep, spot on....that's all.
The size, color , battery life, dac with PC, Dac with My Note2, volume, led color................etc...there are so many good things about this amp, that makes me want to own two!!!
Todd and Pete did their magic on it, and thank God we have them...Thank you Guys, you Rockbeerchug.gif
 
The Glacier Sq is so engaging, that you just want to keep on listing, and strangely my forgotten Sen. 598 shines with it, it brought it back  from its grave (the drawer).
post #262 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

I ordered the venture raft cable and also found this one http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg.
Will using the wrong cable cause any issues with either the phone or the glacier? If so I just want to make sure I get the right cable the first time.

 

 

No, just this 

 

 

  biggrin.gif.

 

I spent about an hour testing with the Venture raft micro to micro (as it did not work) and some DIYing and soldering, until it worked, so nothing was killed in this procedure.

post #263 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

Rfi. And the thud when powering on with iems.

Oh okay, Rfi is not a problem since i use an ipod, as for the thud can always turn it on then connect the iems. Now i need the courage to buy the thing, cause being in the UK, it will cost around $650 after tax. :(

post #264 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post


No, just this 



  biggrin.gif .

I spent about an hour testing with the Venture raft micro to micro (as it did not work) and some DIYing and soldering, until it worked, so nothing was killed in this procedure.

What changes were made?
post #265 of 796
It seems that link I posted earlier on the hack shop micro b cable is now sold out. Glad I ordered one this morning. I wonder if that cable will work.
post #266 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

It seems that link I posted earlier on the hack shop micro b cable is now sold out. Glad I ordered one this morning. I wonder if that cable will work.

Yes it does, red to the phone , black to the DAC.


Edited by turokrocks - 1/7/13 at 10:01pm
post #267 of 796
post #268 of 796

So i decided to man up and buy the glacier, hope its worth it. :)

post #269 of 796

Guys,

 

Anyone here have tried the Glaciers with HE-400 or other orthos? At first glance, I really love the sleek model of the Glaciers and from reviews their SQ are top notch. But the problem is the price, since after tax this could reach $600 where I could just buy an HE-500 to complement my HE-400.....

post #270 of 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteZero View Post

Guys,

 

Anyone here have tried the Glaciers with HE-400 or other orthos? At first glance, I really love the sleek model of the Glaciers and from reviews their SQ are top notch. But the problem is the price, since after tax this could reach $600 where I could just buy an HE-500 to complement my HE-400.....

 

What source are you using? If your source isn't already pretty good not sure it is worth going to the HE500 without improving source first...

 

Anyways, mine is still shipping to me, so I have no personal experience, but with the gain on this it should have no trouble driving most orthos that aren't the HE-6. The Headphonia review virtually raved about how good the Glacier was with the LCD-2. I should get my Glacier late this week/early next, if nobody else has posted before then I will let you know how it is with my HE-6 and LCD-2.


Edited by NZtechfreak - 1/8/13 at 5:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread