Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 64

post #946 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by marts30 View Post

 

You're not going to notice much difference gaming between these. I have the ad700 and the ad900x, and used to own the ad900. Minimal difference.

 

So i really liked the the AD700 but, along with almost everyone else, I wished it had a little more bass to to bring the immersion level up a little bit. And from what I have read that is exactly what the AD900x did.

 

So, as someone who owned the AD700 and eventually got rid of it because I wanted a little more bass, would you recommend the the AD900x?  Or do you think that the bass increase is not significant enough in the 900x? 

 

Why do you say that it the headphone differences will not make much of a difference in "gaming"?

Wouldn't gaming audio benefit form the upgrades of the 900x as well as music.  Especially the supposed bass increase of the 900x?

 

Remember, this is an Audiophile forum and many of us focus on the minimal differences and some are willing to pay hundreds of dollars more for those differences.

 

Which one do you prefer to use while gaming?

post #947 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povell42 View Post

 

So i really liked the the AD700 but, along with almost everyone else, I wished it had a little more bass to to bring the immersion level up a little bit. And from what I have read that is exactly what the AD900x did.

 

So, as someone who owned the AD700 and eventually got rid of it because I wanted a little more bass, would you recommend the the AD900x?  Or do you think that the bass increase is not significant enough in the 900x? 

 

Why do you say that it the headphone differences will not make much of a difference in "gaming"?

Wouldn't gaming audio benefit form the upgrades of the 900x as well as music.  Especially the supposed bass increase of the 900x?

 

Remember, this is an Audiophile forum and many of us focus on the minimal differences and some are willing to pay hundreds of dollars more for those differences.

 

Which one do you prefer to use while gaming?


Clarity and realistic staging along with the highs and mid range makes the AD700 what it is, a well sounding 'open' headphone esp. for the price. In my limited experience, searching for gratifying bass sound will cause the highs to suffer. So it is a matter of personal preference to find the balance you want. I don't game but if I wanted to hear details that surround me, I would use the AD700.

 

I'd try to work with the AD700 with a amp and/or DACs, might be a cheaper route than $200 or $300 headphones. I already listen through a sound card and have the A900x but prefer the AD700 still because it is open and so damn comfortable.

post #948 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post


Clarity and realistic staging along with the highs and mid range makes the AD700 what it is, a well sounding 'open' headphone esp. for the price. In my limited experience, searching for gratifying bass sound will cause the highs to suffer. So it is a matter of personal preference to find the balance you want. I don't game but if I wanted to hear details that surround me, I would use the AD700.

 

I'd try to work with the AD700 with a amp and/or DACs, might be a cheaper route than $200 or $300 headphones. I already listen through a sound card and have the A900x but prefer the AD700 still because it is open and so damn comfortable.

 

Yeah that could be an option, but I also could not stand the look of the AD700. haha. I know that is kinda lame but, if a product sounds awesome AND looks awesome, it seems better to me in a way. 

 

I went ahead and ordered the AD900x from amazon for $210.  I got 1 day shipping so they should arrive tomorrow.  (Man, I love amazon prime $4 one day shipping)

 

It seems like there is a lack of info so far in the new ATH-AD line and I based if off of the few reviews that are out there.  There is almost nothing out there on the AD700x.  And I already owned the Ad700 and got rid of it looking for a headphone with a similar airiness yet a touch more natural bass.  And it seem like that is how the AD900x is described. Great airy open sound stage, cleaner tones all around, and an increase of bass presence.

 

I hope i like them. 

post #949 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povell42 View Post

So i really liked the the AD700 but, along with almost everyone else, I wished it had a little more bass to to bring the immersion level up a little bit. And from what I have read that is exactly what the AD900x did.

So, as someone who owned the AD700 and eventually got rid of it because I wanted a little more bass, would you recommend the the AD900x?  Or do you think that the bass increase is not significant enough in the 900x? 

Why do you say that it the headphone differences will not make much of a difference in "gaming"?
Wouldn't gaming audio benefit form the upgrades of the 900x as well as music.  Especially the supposed bass increase of the 900x?

Remember, this is an Audiophile forum and many of us focus on the minimal differences and some are willing to pay hundreds of dollars more for those differences.

Which one do you prefer to use while gaming?


Clarity and realistic staging along with the highs and mid range makes the AD700 what it is, a well sounding 'open' headphone esp. for the price. In my limited experience, searching for gratifying bass sound will cause the highs to suffer. So it is a matter of personal preference to find the balance you want. I don't game but if I wanted to hear details that surround me, I would use the AD700.

I'd try to work with the AD700 with a amp and/or DACs, might be a cheaper route than $200 or $300 headphones. I already listen through a sound card and have the A900x but prefer the AD700 still because it is open and so damn comfortable.

Do you have the AD900x or just the A900x?

No amount of amping and certainly no DAC will be able to give the AD700 the bass that it lacks, especially compared to the AD900x. I have both and pretty much never listen to my AD700, anymore; gave them to my sister after I fell into a serious relationship with my AD900x. To compare the bass, the AD900x has very solid bass; it's not basshead level, but unlike the AD700's, it has bass presence with pretty good depth and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate and adequate, but YMMV, of course.

Regarding soundstage, the AD700 is hard to beat, but the AD900x has an impressive one, though not quite as expansive. To ME, it sounds bit more intimate and I prefer it to the AD700's. Again, YMMV.

I also want to not that while the AD900x doesn't require an amp to power it and that it both sounds quite good out of an iPhone 4 and can reach quite loud levels, it does respond very well to amping. I personally use a Fiio E12 version 1 that adds a bit more separation and very respectable amount of bass to the AD900x sound. If amping is out of your budget (the FiiO E12 is ~$130 atm) the AD900x responds very well to EQ'ing and other adjustments in foobar, media monkey, etc

BTW what kind of gaming will you be doing?
Edited by pngwn - 4/10/13 at 9:31pm
post #950 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

Nup. Never even laid eyes on one.

ah k

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

I got my eye on you chesty guttenberg. blink.gif

:D

post #951 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post


Do you have the AD900x or just the A900x?

No amount of amping and certainly no DAC will be able to give the AD700 the bass that it lacks, especially compared to the AD900x. I have both and pretty much never listen to my AD700, anymore; gave them to my sister after I fell into a serious relationship with my AD900x. To compare the bass, the AD900x has very solid bass; it's not basshead level, but unlike the AD700's, it has bass presence with pretty good depth and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate and adequate, but YMMV, of course.

Regarding soundstage, the AD700 is hard to beat, but the AD900x has an impressive one, though not quite as expansive. To ME, it sounds bit more intimate and I prefer it to the AD700's. Again, YMMV.

I also want to not that while the AD900x doesn't require an amp to power it and that it both sounds quite good out of an iPhone 4 and can reach quite loud levels, it does respond very well to amping. I personally use a Fiio E12 version 1 that adds a bit more separation and very respectable amount of bass to the AD900x sound. If amping is out of your budget (the FiiO E12 is ~$130 atm) the AD900x responds very well to EQ'ing and other adjustments in foobar, media monkey, etc

BTW what kind of gaming will you be doing?

 

I have been mainly gaming on the PC in many genres.  I have a sound blaster Z sound card which has pretty nice software for bass boost and EQing.  I have read that that the Ad900x can benefit from amping and eq'ing, so thank you for the info and verification.  That is what I was hoping. 

 

I can verify that the AD700 I tested did not seem to do well with a the bass increase and it just became muffled and distorted.  So, with your experience with Eq'ing the AD900x successfully makes me feel like the extra money is worth it. 

 

Thank you

post #952 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post


Do you have the AD900x or just the A900x?

No amount of amping and certainly no DAC will be able to give the AD700 the bass that it lacks, especially compared to the AD900x. I have both and pretty much never listen to my AD700, anymore; gave them to my sister after I fell into a serious relationship with my AD900x. To compare the bass, the AD900x has very solid bass; it's not basshead level, but unlike the AD700's, it has bass presence with pretty good depth and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate and adequate, but YMMV, of course.

Regarding soundstage, the AD700 is hard to beat, but the AD900x has an impressive one, though not quite as expansive. To ME, it sounds bit more intimate and I prefer it to the AD700's. Again, YMMV.

I also want to not that while the AD900x doesn't require an amp to power it and that it both sounds quite good out of an iPhone 4 and can reach quite loud levels, it does respond very well to amping. I personally use a Fiio E12 version 1 that adds a bit more separation and very respectable amount of bass to the AD900x sound. If amping is out of your budget (the FiiO E12 is ~$130 atm) the AD900x responds very well to EQ'ing and other adjustments in foobar, media monkey, etc

BTW what kind of gaming will you be doing?

I have the A900X, so I know what decent bass can sound like. I can swap out DACs to favor deeper or highlighted bass and the AD700 will respond, you would be surprised. I prefer the highs rather than the lows anyway, don't crave open cans with bass, at least not at the current pricing. USB amps and the like will produce a cleaner boosted signal. Never hurts to use an amp.

post #953 of 1858

No DAC swap is going to give the AD700 the low end the AD900x has.  Sorry.  smile_phones.gif  But you already have both and know this.

 

Povell42: I had the AD700 and AD900 at one time.  Chucked the AD700's because of their lack of low end.  Now I have the AD900x's.  A much more balanced headphone IMO.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  With that said, they do take 20-30hrs for the highs to open up.  So if you don't like them right off the bat, give them some time.


Edited by Kevin Brown - 4/11/13 at 9:28am
post #954 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

Do you have the AD900x or just the A900x?

No amount of amping and certainly no DAC will be able to give the AD700 the bass that it lacks, especially compared to the AD900x. I have both and pretty much never listen to my AD700, anymore; gave them to my sister after I fell into a serious relationship with my AD900x. To compare the bass, the AD900x has very solid bass; it's not basshead level, but unlike the AD700's, it has bass presence with pretty good depth and impact. I would describe the bass as accurate and adequate, but YMMV, of course.

Regarding soundstage, the AD700 is hard to beat, but the AD900x has an impressive one, though not quite as expansive. To ME, it sounds bit more intimate and I prefer it to the AD700's. Again, YMMV.

I also want to not that while the AD900x doesn't require an amp to power it and that it both sounds quite good out of an iPhone 4 and can reach quite loud levels, it does respond very well to amping. I personally use a Fiio E12 version 1 that adds a bit more separation and very respectable amount of bass to the AD900x sound. If amping is out of your budget (the FiiO E12 is ~$130 atm) the AD900x responds very well to EQ'ing and other adjustments in foobar, media monkey, etc

BTW what kind of gaming will you be doing?

 

Thanks for this information.

 

I've recently dusted off my old AD700 and have been using them quite a bit the past week or so. I really appreciate the expansiveness and air compared to the PX100-II that I've been using for so long. Was planning on buying the AD900 (owned it 3 times before) again to "fix" the AD700's midrange and treble, but found a pretty good deal on the AD900X and got that instead. I'm quite excited that was the case. From all I could gather, they say there actually IS an improvement in bass when coming from the AD700 or AD900, which is great news. I'm glad you mentioned the AD900X isn't as expansive, as I'd like just a bit more intimacy from the AD700. Seems like the AD900X is going to be the answer, and your comments make me look forward to my pair even more tomorrow. Thanks again.

post #955 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

No DAC swap is going to give the AD700 the low end the AD900x has.  Sorry.  smile_phones.gif  But you already have both and know this.

 

Povell42: I had the AD700 and AD900 at one time.  Chucked the AD700's because of their lack of low end.  Now I have the AD900x's.  A much more balanced headphone IMO.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  With that said, they do take 20-30hrs for the highs to open up.  So if you don't like them right off the bat, give them some time.

But buying the AD900x will give you the lows like the A900x?

 

If you never rolled opamps and a sound card then how would you know how much bass sound you can get out of the AD700? Or do you just spend $500 to find lows on open headphones? Or do you just move the slider adjustments on an equalizer for more bass?

 

I can get your ear lobes to flap back and forth on open headphones but since there is no back pressure like in closed phones, the bass will never punch like in a closed headphone  but there will be plenty of bass to satisfy in an open headphone.

post #956 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

 

Thanks for this information.

 

I've recently dusted off my old AD700 and have been using them quite a bit the past week or so. I really appreciate the expansiveness and air compared to the PX100-II that I've been using for so long. Was planning on buying the AD900 (owned it 3 times before) again to "fix" the AD700's midrange and treble, but found a pretty good deal on the AD900X and got that instead. I'm quite excited that was the case. From all I could gather, they say there actually IS an improvement in bass when coming from the AD700 or AD900, which is great news. I'm glad you mentioned the AD900X isn't as expansive, as I'd like just a bit more intimacy from the AD700. Seems like the AD900X is going to be the answer, and your comments make me look forward to my pair even more tomorrow. Thanks again.

 

And fyi, the AD900X pairs very well with an amp such as the E12. Add a bit of fullness and body, and the E12's bass boost works very well with the AD900X.

post #957 of 1858

So I just got the AD900x delivered today and I wanted to give a very quick first impression before the burn-in process. To put context to the amount of time I have spent with them....UPS was super late and delivered them like 30 minutes before I had to go to work.  So I did some initial listening to music from my ipod.  I am happy to say that they sound better than expected straight out of the box.  I was expecting them to sound worse, and I was pleasantly surprised of the tone and bass that i heard.  

 

They are currently burning in with some pink noise and frequency sweeps and I will listen to them again in the morning. Can't wait. 

 

I feel as if my journey is coming to a close of figuring out what my personal preferences is for headphone audio!!  I have come to realize that I prefer the airy sound of open backed hps.   I have been listening to the Ultrasone PRO 900  the past week or so, and I seem to prefer the AD900x even straight out of the box.  While I like good bass, I am in no means a basshead - and I am not very sensitive to brighter highs  and enjoy the brighter sound.  These were things I was unable to identify about myself just a few months ago.  I do realize that these preferences may change over time, but at least I know the starting point.  

 

Its funny, the first set of "audiophile" headphones I tried were the AD700's and loved the open feel and large sound stage....but it led me on an adventure to find a better bass headphone.  As I tried many other headphones my mind kept going back to the AD700 sound stage.  So, my bass crave eventually led me to the Ultrasone PRO 900.   Now I'm back to an "upgraded" AD700 with the AD900x.  

post #958 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povell42 View Post

 

I feel as if my journey is coming to a close of figuring out what my personal preferences is for headphone audio!!  I have come to realize that I prefer the airy sound of open backed hps.   I have been listening to the Ultrasone PRO 900  the past week or so, and I seem to prefer the AD900x even straight out of the box.  While I like good bass, I am in no means a basshead - and I am not very sensitive to brighter highs  and enjoy the brighter sound.  These were things I was unable to identify about myself just a few months ago.  I do realize that these preferences may change over time, but at least I know the starting point.  

 

Its funny, the first set of "audiophile" headphones I tried were the AD700's and loved the open feel and large sound stage....but it led me on an adventure to find a better bass headphone.  As I tried many other headphones my mind kept going back to the AD700 sound stage.  So, my bass crave eventually led me to the Ultrasone PRO 900.   Now I'm back to an "upgraded" AD700 with the AD900x.  

 

Funny, I remember when I was in a similar situation. Except, I actually went from the Pro 900 back to the AD700! That was my official audio journey identity crisis. biggrin.gif

 

I've got the AD900X coming in tomorrow, and still have my aging AD700. I've got high hopes it's win me over. If not, I guess I'll wait out until the K712!

post #959 of 1858

Kind of a tangent, but Katun, I remember doing so much research on a good upgrade from the AD700 and settled on the AD900 because of your Amazon review. I almost pulled the trigger on them until I came here and learned about the x series and had to wait a few months for their release. Really looking forward to your thoughts on the AD900x!

post #960 of 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

 

Funny, I remember when I was in a similar situation. Except, I actually went from the Pro 900 back to the AD700! That was my official audio journey identity crisis. biggrin.gif

 

I've got the AD900X coming in tomorrow, and still have my aging AD700. I've got high hopes it's win me over. If not, I guess I'll wait out until the K712!


Awesome. I have about 90 -100 hours of burn-in on my Ultrasone Pro 900 and today when I swapped between the two headphones briefly I immediately noticed how veiled the mids and highs were on the Ultrasone in comparison to the notoriously  bright AD900x.  I also realized how much I missed that nice airy open sound with the large sound stage layers.

 

I don't want to jump the gun here before I spend more time with the two headphones, but I had a moment of confirmation that I prefer the sound-stage and openness verse having powerful bass.  I have been struggling the past month with wanting more bass verse losing the size of sound stage, and listening to the AD900x today just seemed to give me the great mixture of what I have been looking for.  I am looking forward to hearing them get even better after a little burn in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x