Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 58

post #856 of 1751
The AD900x cost 14000 Yen, roughly 150 Dollar
The AD1000x cost 27300 Yen, roughly 290 Dollar
The AD2000x cost 48500 Yen, roughly 510 Dollar

According to CamelCamelCamel the lowest prices that have been:
The AD900x current price is the lowest.
The AD1000x current price is the lowest.
The AD2000x is not the lowest. (The lowest was 44400 Yen, roughly 470 Dollar

Now a further question, should I go for the AD900x or the DT990, (I've been thinking about a AD900x for quite some time, but maybe the DT990 could be a good alternative as well). Which one will be best for games? Most fun? Best Value?

I could buy a DT990 Pro for 165 Euro (Or 121 Pounds atm), which compares to the 150 Dollar for the AD900x plus the Tenso shipping, so they should be pretty much comparable to each other in price (Not taking into account the risk for additional VAT on the AD900x).
Edited by Simcon - 3/26/13 at 8:52am
post #857 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

This thread is badly lacking good comparisons between the AD900X and AD2000X. I picked up some AD900X from a certain poster in this thread but have always been interested in the AD2000. So I felt I had no choice but to go ahead and order them while they are discounted on Amazon Japan. I really hope I entered my Tenso address correctly, does this look right?

 

Wait I just realised it was you posting XD Upgrading so quickly eh? If you get the AD2000X, and I get the AD1000X, we should totally meet up and settle the differences once and for all!

post #858 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Wait I just realised it was you posting XD Upgrading so quickly eh? If you get the AD2000X, and I get the AD1000X, we should totally meet up and settle the differences once and for all!

Yep, you Aussies will simply have to buy one for the team wink.gif.
post #859 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

Wait I just realised it was you posting XD Upgrading so quickly eh? If you get the AD2000X, and I get the AD1000X, we should totally meet up and settle the differences once and for all!

 

Not really, I was always going to get the AD2000X, I've wanted to try it for ages. But with your AD900X, in Sydney getting no love I couldn't resist. They are very nice but rather than curing my itch they just made it stronger. I am really after more detail and separation and at the moment I only have a portable amp so the AD2K are the obvious choice. Now I just have to hope this whole Tenso process works!

 

I'd totally be up for doing a temporary swap sometime down the track. I have never really gone to meets, I think you need time with phones to properly assess them. I've always thought doing temporary swaps was a better option but there have never been many Sydney-based folks at the times when I've around head-fi. I would be super interested to try the AD1K, they have always been something a black sheep on these boards, very few people have owned them and they have often been described as odd sounding. But I find that a little intriguing myself.

post #860 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperatorPerry View Post

How does the ad900x compare to the Q701 and the ma900?

 

AD900x vs Q701: if you could think of the AD900s as having a slight tilt, from a stronger low end to very nice mids to a slightly darker top end, then I think the Q701 is exactly the opposite.  IMO, both headphones are quite listenable, but they definitely have a slightly different sound to them. 

post #861 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

 

Not really, I was always going to get the AD2000X, I've wanted to try it for ages. But with your AD900X, in Sydney getting no love I couldn't resist. They are very nice but rather than curing my itch they just made it stronger. I am really after more detail and separation and at the moment I only have a portable amp so the AD2K are the obvious choice. Now I just have to hope this whole Tenso process works!

 

I'd totally be up for doing a temporary swap sometime down the track. I have never really gone to meets, I think you need time with phones to properly assess them. I've always thought doing temporary swaps was a better option but there have never been many Sydney-based folks at the times when I've around head-fi. I would be super interested to try the AD1K, they have always been something a black sheep on these boards, very few people have owned them and they have often been described as odd sounding. But I find that a little intriguing myself.

 

Definitely temporary swaps have their merits, but also make direct A/Bing a little hard. Generally at meets I've been to you spend up to an hour with a single can and you can get a fair amount out of it.

 

I know that the AD1K was meant to be the cold / analytical one of the bunch, but I'm not sure if the AD1KX is closer to the AD2000X or the AD1000 in that regard. (Though from what I can tell the AD2000X is colder now too?)

 

Edit: As far as I can tell, the differences between the AD1000X and the AD2000X are that the AD2000X has a different headband construction, higher grade cables, the special Escacine (?) material used in the earpads, and Permendur metal used in the voice coil magnet... They seem to actually have the same actual driver construction given the almost identical max input and sensitivity / impedance figures.  


Edited by a_recording - 3/26/13 at 4:12pm
post #862 of 1751

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD9

Marcus from headphones.com.au, who I think is generally a pretty good judge always recommends the AD900 over the AD2000 on the basis that the 2k is too analytical and not as involving. That's maybe useful advice for general users but for me "analytical" usually means detailed and transparent, which what I look for.
Edited by redrich2000 - 3/26/13 at 5:06pm
post #863 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

Marcus from headphones.com.au, who I think is generally a pretty good judge always recommends the AD900 over the AD2000 on the basis that the 2k is too analytical and not as involving. That's maybe useful advice for general users but for "analytical" usually means detailed and transparent, which what I look for.

 

I know Marcus gives good advice, but in this case I would have to strenuously disagree. I had the AD900 and the AD2000 for a while. The AD2000 is tremendously engaging because of the forward mids; with female vocals it just grabs you and carries you along with every breath. The AD900 seemed diffuse and hazy in comparison. Though after a while the grain in the sound of the AD2000 and the way it could sound honky at times made me sell it eventually.

 

I'm hoping that I will feel the same way about the AD1000X and AD2000X vs the AD900X because the one thing I wasn't impressed about with the AD900X was the resolving power. Definitely I think they nailed the signature of the AD900X. I'm hoping that the AD1000X is a more resolving version of the AD9000X, but intuition tells me its more likely that it sounds like a less resolving version of the AD2000X.

post #864 of 1751

So, AD1000X's are on their way from Tenso now. Again I'm super excited. If it's anything like the AD900X but with better imaging I'll be happy. If it's anything like the AD2000 I'll be happy.

 

I also kinda hope that the AD1000X will be better than my MA900 because the build will be so much better and I only want to keep one nice open headphone at a time. -__-

post #865 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

So, AD1000X's are on their way from Tenso now. Again I'm super excited. If it's anything like the AD900X but with better imaging I'll be happy. If it's anything like the AD2000 I'll be happy.

 

I also kinda hope that the AD1000X will be better than my MA900 because the build will be so much better and I only want to keep one nice open headphone at a time. -__-

 

I am really hoping they are everything you're expecting as well. I have high hopes for them and would really love to purchase them over the MA900 just because I can't get over that build quality.

post #866 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

So, AD1000X's are on their way from Tenso now. Again I'm super excited. If it's anything like the AD900X but with better imaging I'll be happy. If it's anything like the AD2000 I'll be happy.

 

I also kinda hope that the AD1000X will be better than my MA900 because the build will be so much better and I only want to keep one nice open headphone at a time. -__-

What made you go for the 1K and not the 2K? Was it just price?

I'm kinda glad really cause it means we'll be able compare them all. My 2Ks are listed as shipped on Amazon Japan and estimated to arrive with Tenso tomorrow. I am going to Melbourne next Wednesday for work and I'm really hoping they arrive in time for me plug them into some pink noise while I'm away. I am burn in agnostic, I'm skeptical but I always do it just in case.


Edited by redrich2000 - 3/28/13 at 6:03pm
post #867 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

What made you go for the 1K and not the 2K? Was it just price?

I'm kinda glad really cause it means we'll be able compare them all. My 2Ks are listed as shipped on Amazon Japan and estimated to arrive with Tenso tomorrow. I am going to Melbourne next Wednesday for work and I'm really hoping they arrive in time for me plug them into some pink noise while I'm away. I am burn in agnostic, I'm skeptical but I always do it just in case.

 

Don't worry then... you'll still be allowed into audio heaven biggrin.gif

post #868 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

What made you go for the 1K and not the 2K? Was it just price?

 

Partially price, and partially because all the vague information I have read about the AD1000X indicates that it sounds like the AD2000X with less 'refinement'. Generally refinement can mean micro-detail etc, but it can also just mean relative levels of treble since AT seems to tune their higher end stuff with more treble energy. Since I prefer a darker sound (especially with a lot of the music I listen to) I'm not actually sure I want the extra 'refinement' on top of the AD1000X. (It's the same reason I prefer the Sony 7550 over the EX1000 for instance).

 

It could also mean the reviewers are hearing things that aren't there, which is why I totally agree it will be wonderful to compare the AD1000X and AD2000X directly.

 

Then again it could well be that the only difference between the AD2000X and the AD1000X is the use of permendur magnets. This allows for a higher magnetic flux density, which is supposedly important because according to Beyerdynamic higher magnetic flux "can be used to design the voice coil that generates the sound more filigreed. This where the sound benefits in gaining extreme richness of detail. On the other hand, the additional magnetic power can be converted into acoustic energy, giving the reproduction more power and impact."

 

I don't know if Audio Technica really did much special redesigning of the driver to take advantage of the higher efficiency of the permendur voice coil though, given that the AD1000X and AD2000X have virtually identical specs save for a 1db difference in sensitivity. (I don't really trust the quoted frequency response numbers).

post #869 of 1751

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

What made you go for the 1K and not the 2K? Was it just price?

 

Partially price, and partially because all the vague information I have read about the AD1000X indicates that it sounds like the AD2000X with less 'refinement'. Generally refinement can mean micro-detail etc, but it can also just mean relative levels of treble since AT seems to tune their higher end stuff with more treble energy. Since I prefer a darker sound (especially with a lot of the music I listen to) I'm not actually sure I want the extra 'refinement' on top of the AD1000X. (It's the same reason I prefer the Sony 7550 over the EX1000 for instance).

 

It could also mean the reviewers are hearing things that aren't there, which is why I totally agree it will be wonderful to compare the AD1000X and AD2000X directly.

 

Then again it could well be that the only difference between the AD2000X and the AD1000X is the use of permendur magnets. This allows for a higher magnetic flux density, which is supposedly important because according to Beyerdynamic higher magnetic flux "can be used to design the voice coil that generates the sound more filigreed. This where the sound benefits in gaining extreme richness of detail. On the other hand, the additional magnetic power can be converted into acoustic energy, giving the reproduction more power and impact."

 

I don't know if Audio Technica really did much special redesigning of the driver to take advantage of the higher efficiency of the permendur voice coil though, given that the AD1000X and AD2000X have virtually identical specs save for a 1db difference in sensitivity. (I don't really trust the quoted frequency response numbers).


Wow, so I guess it's safe to say you've given this a lot of thought!
But what you say does make me happier about the 2k, resolving power is what I really want.
post #870 of 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

Wow, so I guess it's safe to say you've given this a lot of thought!

 

Lol - you're not kidding!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x