Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 56

post #826 of 1806

^For someone used to a lot of bass, relatively speaking, the level of bass in the AD700 and AD900 is approximately zero, partly because they are both quite bright as well.

post #827 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

 

Not true.  The AD900 has more bass than the AD700!  smile_phones.gif

 

Which is not saying too much because there is nothing to be heard of in the lows of the AD700. If I was just looking for something that kept all of the detail, brightness, and soundstage of the AD700, but wanted a little more bass, which AD product would you point me towards? AD900X?

post #828 of 1806

The AD900x has more bass than the AD900 has more bass than the AD700.

 

biggrin.gif

 

Personally, the low end level the AD700 has is not acceptable to me.  I never felt that way with the AD900.

post #829 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

The AD900x has more bass than the AD900 has more bass than the AD700.

 

biggrin.gif

 

Personally, the low end level the AD700 has is not acceptable to me.  I never felt that way with the AD900.

 

Because of the lack of low frequency? And where would you put the AD700X into that statement?


Edited by roguegeek - 3/22/13 at 5:12pm
post #830 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

The AD900x has more bass than the AD900 has more bass than the AD700.

biggrin.gif

Personally, the low end level the AD700 has is not acceptable to me.  I never felt that way with the AD900.

Because of the lack of low frequency? And where would you put the AD700X into that statement?

I would assume the 700x would have a stronger bass response given how the 900x, 1000x, and 2000x all improved their bass. No one yet in this thread has tried a 700x yet, though. I'm curious to hear about the 500x vs 500 from the last page or so, though.
post #831 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

Which is not saying too much because there is nothing to be heard of in the lows of the AD700. If I was just looking for something that kept all of the detail, brightness, and soundstage of the AD700, but wanted a little more bass, which AD product would you point me towards? AD900X?

I have the T500 (closed) and it certainly puts out much tighter bass than my AD700 or my A900X. Why it does better than the A900X, I don't know. Maybe the A900X is not broken in yet but it should be with about 40+ hours on it.

 

The T500 is more a standard sized phone but the drivers are still angle so the staging is decent. Doesn't have the airiness or openness of AD700 of course but almost the same as the A900X.

 

Strange listening and testing all (3) models, not much bass in the AD700. A900X is better but not huge in bass and the T500 gives a good punch compared to the other two headphones.

 

The T500 is only a bit shy in detailed highs but the staging is good. For the money a decent cheap headphone if you like bass, it would be your low cost option (Ebay).

 

I had the A700X for about an hour and sent it back, was just to dark and unresponsive, I didn't see how it would ever break in or I had bum phones but I don't see anyone else ever talk about them here.

 

Aside: Donald Fagen made his Morph The Cat Album in a 5.1 DTS format. I found it but only Foobar would recognize and play a DTS file so I used Foobar to convert the DTS Album to ACC after I loaded some nero-ACC-plugin to do it. It was fun to watch the meter bounce with 6 channel bars but I set Foobar to down mix 5.1 to stereo for the phones.

post #832 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz42 View Post

I have the T500 (closed) and it certainly puts out much tighter bass than my AD700 or my A900X. Why it does better than the A900X, I don't know. Maybe the A900X is not broken in yet but it should be with about 40+ hours on it.

 

The T500 is more a standard sized phone but the drivers are still angle so the staging is decent. Doesn't have the airiness or openness of AD700 of course but almost the same as the A900X.

 

Strange listening and testing all (3) models, not much bass in the AD700. A900X is better but not huge in bass and the T500 gives a good punch compared to the other two headphones.

 

The T500 is only a bit shy in detailed highs but the staging is good. For the money a decent cheap headphone if you like bass, it would be your low cost option (Ebay).

 

I had the A700X for about an hour and sent it back, was just to dark and unresponsive, I didn't see how it would ever break in or I had bum phones but I don't see anyone else ever talk about them here.

 

Aside: Donald Fagen made his Morph The Cat Album in a 5.1 DTS format. I found it but only Foobar would recognize and play a DTS file so I used Foobar to convert the DTS Album to ACC after I loaded some nero-ACC-plugin to do it. It was fun to watch the meter bounce with 6 channel bars but I set Foobar to down mix 5.1 to stereo for the phones.

 

From the way you're describing it, it's sounding like the AD900X is still a better way to go for me. I'm not really looking for something that's a large improvement over the AD700 in terms of its bass. I want to keep the airiness, soundstage, detail, and brightness of the AD700, but have just a little bit more low frequency punch vs nothing at all. I think a closed can such as the T500 or A900X may take away too many of the aspects I love about the AD700.

post #833 of 1806

Another question. Do any of the newer X models have any of the well documented comfort and fit issues that the AD700 has? It's THE reason I'm looking to replace them as I'm not into things like the rubber band mod or the bending and reshaping of the wire bands.

post #834 of 1806
I think the ad900x would add a bit more bass (without sacrificing anything else) and make you quite happy in that regard. I am not sure about the fit though. They are very comfortable to me, but if your head is smaller, those mods have been suggested.
post #835 of 1806
Closed cans for sure wouldn't be able to touch the AD700, especially in soundstage. I upgraded to the AD900x from the AD700 and really like the sound. The 900x adds a respectable amount of bass that's just enough for most music, barring dubstep, rap, etc; the 900x responds very well to EQing, though, and is capable of delivering great bass.

In terms of fit and comfort, if you had issues with the AD700, you might have issues with the AD900x. I personally never had any fit issues with either headphone. That said, I feel like the 900x is more snug and tight fitting than the 700, which felt downright strange and "too loose" when I put them on after listening the 900x exclusively for a few weeks.
Edited by pngwn - 3/23/13 at 10:38am
post #836 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

Closed cans for sure wouldn't be able to touch the AD700, especially in soundstage. I upgraded to the AD900x from the AD700 and really like the sound. The 900x adds a respectable amount of bass that's just enough for most music, barring dubstep, rap, etc; the 900x responds very well to EQing, though, and is capable of delivering great bass.

In terms of fit and comfort, if you had issues with the AD700, you might have issues with the AD900x. I personally never had any fit issues with either headphone. That said, I feel like the 900x is more snug and tight fitting than the 700, which felt downright strange and "too loose" when I put them on after listening the 900x exclusively for a few weeks.

 

The issue is the pressure it causes where the lower part of the cups touch your upper jaw and the upper part of the cups not sealing enough with the side of your head. If these stupid cans just added a horizontal pivot point across the cups like most headphones did, this would solve everything. It's beyond me why AT has not done this.

 

 

post #837 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

From the way you're describing it, it's sounding like the AD900X is still a better way to go for me. I'm not really looking for something that's a large improvement over the AD700 in terms of its bass. I want to keep the airiness, soundstage, detail, and brightness of the AD700, but have just a little bit more low frequency punch vs nothing at all. I think a closed can such as the T500 or A900X may take away too many of the aspects I love about the AD700.

If you know what you like then it boils down to a matter of cost. If you can afford it, you could buy them all to check them out.

 

The highs and staging of the AD700 come without the bass response interfering. Anytime you step up in bass response, it will cover the highs somewhat or at least be a distraction. I prefer the highs myself as a lot of things are going on in that range.

 

The only other option for you might be the AD900X or Sony MA9000, both of which I can't speak to because I never had them. The T500 does give you staging but only between the earcups, I only mention that because they are $65. The AD700 takes you outside the earcups in staging for about $75. So far I am disappointed in the A900X as it is neither outstanding in any area, a good but not great headphone (cost me $135 factory reconditioned).

post #838 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

The issue is the pressure it causes where the lower part of the cups touch your upper jaw and the upper part of the cups not sealing enough with the side of your head. If these stupid cans just added a horizontal pivot point across the cups like most headphones did, this would solve everything. It's beyond me why AT has not done this.

 

 

I agree, they do however add it to the closed A900X, but the more expensive AD2000X doesn't which really blows my mind.

post #839 of 1806

Really starting to enjoy these cans (ad900x)...

 

It does sound much better than day 1 (I've had it for going on 6-7 days, it's 2:30 am)

 

I don't think they sound bad for some electronic music like i saw in earlier postings. not the best, but it's good enough imo especially if you can EQ them a bit. (i added a small amount of bass).

 

I also think I'm staring to hear that female ath vocals everybody has talked about. in some songs, the vocals for specific parts of a song sound different, and in others it's pretty prettyyyy gooooooood
 

post #840 of 1806

Is there anyone who has heard both the ATH-AD700 and the ATH-AD700x?

 

I would like to know if they 700x maintains the giant sound stage of the AD700 that I have read so much about? 

 

I would also like to know if they are still very good with treble music such as metal and rock, yet another thing Ive read the AD700 does amazingly well for its price.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x