Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 54

post #796 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

I just keep coming back to my AD700 when I'm at home, which would be great if the lows weren't as recessed as they are, but I'm just a detail and soundstage whore apparently. Would any of these newer offerings fulfill the neutral, uber AD700 itch that I'm trying to scratch?

 

Still looking for some feedback on this. Thanks!

post #797 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I did a comparison of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654161/review-comparison-ath-ad900x-vs-mdr-ma900-its-over-900

 

As for SR325is... I have a pair of AluMods. Their imaging doesn't blow me away either lol.

Thanks for that.. I did see that review. Your review is actually what inspired me to ask about the mdr-ma900 in the first place! Now I'm on the hunt for more opinions.

 

Also can anyone on comment on how these compare to the beyer dt 880 pro?


Edited by Royal2000H - 3/19/13 at 4:35am
post #798 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcazbarach View Post

Hmm yea, I definitely will be burning these in overnight when i go to sleep.

 

they sounded really congested right out of the box, and I wasn't impressed.

 

but I do believe in the 'burn in" concept, although i think part of it is in combination with your ears getting used to the headphones.

 

they still sound good so far, just haven't impressed me. still a nice upgrade for me though.

 

I will update as i burn them in.
 

 

I just got mine, and I burned them in about 6 hrs last night as well.  Even today, I am hearing that congestion.  These are a lot darker than the AD900's.  The x's actually fit my largish head a little tighter than the AD900's.  But both are very comfortable.  I'll keep listening and post updates when I have them. 

post #799 of 1692
The AD900x don't really open up till about 30hrs or so, if I remember my burn in period correctly. YMMV
post #800 of 1692

OK, I'll make sure to give them plenty of time and see what happens.  I've made the mistake before of dismissing a headphone or two because I didn't realize that burn in could make a difference.

 

They aren't unlistenable, I just wish the top end would open up a little bit more.  They kind of remind me of Senn 650's at the moment.

post #801 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

OK, I'll make sure to give them plenty of time and see what happens.  I've made the mistake before of dismissing a headphone or two because I didn't realize that burn in could make a difference.

 

They aren't unlistenable, I just wish the top end would open up a little bit more.  They kind of remind me of Senn 650's at the moment.

 

Hmm that's interesting. I would never ever described them as 'veiled' like the HD650. It's just that they sound a bit messy when push comes to shove on fast music.

post #802 of 1692

These definitely open up after some good hard play time with something like infected mushroom or pendulum. Or any heavy electronic music you have in your library. Play them at levels on the verge of uncomfortable for at least 50 hours (IMO) to hear a change for the better in the high end and a smidge better bass extension maybe. DO NOT listen to them while they are turned up this loud, just saying it to say it... they also sound better as the pads get smushed a bit.

 

~M

post #803 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer167 View Post

These definitely open up after some good hard play time with something like infected mushroom or pendulum. Or any heavy electronic music you have in your library. Play them at levels on the verge of uncomfortable for at least 50 hours (IMO) to hear a change for the better in the high end and a smidge better bass extension maybe. DO NOT listen to them while they are turned up this loud, just saying it to say it... they also sound better as the pads get smushed a bit.

 

~M

 

Always on the hunt for cool music... is this track infected mushroom? I couldn't find it listed in any of their official website albums. Regardless, I'm digging that track and using  it right now for some good ear/brain burn in biggrin.gif

 

Edit: actually, I can see which album it is supposed to be from (but it's not listed as one of the tracks). Man, that track keeps getting better and better...

 

Edit2: Fyi, listening with laptop/ELE DAC/E12/AD900X (with plenty of burn in).... Awesome.


Edited by waynes world - 3/19/13 at 7:26pm
post #804 of 1692

Yup that is IM, the song  you linked is "project 100". Their new album army of mushrooms is pretty good. My favorite all time song from IM is "Dancing with Kadafi" off of their BP empire album, listen to that one for sure. I'm always surprised when I mention infected mushroom and hardly anyone has heard of them. Also check out LORN, good stuff from them too! 

 

~M

post #805 of 1692
I love me some Infected Mushroom :3 sounds great on the 900x. Check out Noisia's Devil May Cry soundtrack for some can rattling bass, btw omg

Wayne, how much does the ELE improve your sound compared to without? I have a Traktor 2 external soundcard with a Cirrus Logic chip that does a good job, but I'm curious if I should pull the trigger on an "actual" DAC. Or rather, a product that is marketed as a DAC, if that makes any difference.
Edited by pngwn - 3/19/13 at 9:08pm
post #806 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

I love me some Infected Mushroom :3 sounds great on the 900x. Check out Noisia's Devil May Cry soundtrack for some can rattling bass, btw omg

Wayne, how much does the ELE improve your sound compared to without? I have a Traktor 2 external soundcard with a Cirrus Logic chip that does a good job, but I'm curious if I should pull the trigger on an "actual" DAC. Or rather, a product that is marketed as a DAC, if that makes any difference.

 

Will check out the Noisia sound track - thanks!

 

As far as the ELE DAC is concerned, I don't have any experience with other dac's. But, it was only $20 and it sounds 1000% better than my laptop soundcard, and is on par (or better) than my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 Wolfson audio chip. And most importantly, I don't feel any desire to upgrade it. So really, along with my ksc75's, the ELE DAC is in right on top of my "giant killer" audio acquisitions. As far as I am concerned, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X combo is friggin' wonderful. And I suspect it will be as wonderful with the WS99's (which are on their way :).

post #807 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by inouekun View Post

Switching from HD650 to AD900X main reason because I listen to female vocal music frequently. Am I doing it right? confused_face_2.gif

you're doing it right. AD900X > HD650 when it comes to female vocals.

post #808 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

I love me some Infected Mushroom :3 sounds great on the 900x. Check out Noisia's Devil May Cry soundtrack for some can rattling bass, btw omg


Wayne, how much does the ELE improve your sound compared to without? I have a Traktor 2 external soundcard with a Cirrus Logic chip that does a good job, but I'm curious if I should pull the trigger on an "actual" DAC. Or rather, a product that is marketed as a DAC, if that makes any difference.

Will check out the Noisia sound track - thanks!

As far as the ELE DAC is concerned, I don't have any experience with other dac's. But, it was only $20 and it sounds 1000% better than my laptop soundcard, and is on par (or better) than my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 Wolfson audio chip. And most importantly, I don't feel any desire to upgrade it. So really, along with my ksc75's, the ELE DAC is in right on top of my "giant killer" audio acquisitions. As far as I am concerned, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X combo is friggin' wonderful. And I suspect it will be as wonderful with the WS99's (which are on their way smily_headphones1.gif.

Well, for $20, I might as well bite! BTW, let me know how those WS99s go, I've been eyeing those myself ;] Time for YOU to convince ME to make some purchases! tongue.gif
post #809 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post
Well, for $20, I might as well bite! BTW, let me know how those WS99s go, I've been eyeing those myself ;] Time for YOU to convince ME to make some purchases! tongue.gif

 

You won't need me to convince you about the WS99 if you read posts like these ones:

 

- this one and this one from dsnuts (who also has the ad900x)

 

- this one and this one from DannyBai (who also has the ad900x)

 

- this one and this one from Maxx134

 

If those impressions don't convince you, then you are a stronger man than I am!

post #810 of 1692

burned these in a bit more (basically 15 more hours, sleep/when i went to work), i do feel the bass is improving and the soundstage appears wider (again could just be my ears).

 

Like I mentioned, these were enough of an upgrade, but I did EQ them a bit for Bass (+2 db) on the E17.

 

 

I'll give it some more time, I remember I hated my akg 167s for the first week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x