Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 53

post #781 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

My AD2KX is back up for sale again if anyone is interested.  It's still a great headphone but just can't compete for my head time with my HD800.  However, for the money, the AD2KX is pretty awesome.  I would highly recommend it in the <$700 bracket. 


And I have my AD2K up as well, no reason to hold on to both. The differences are mostly subtle and minor from one to the other.

post #782 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post

As promised, some observations of the AD2000x vs the older AD2000.

 

Thanks for the impressuins Carlsan! Just some questions since I used to have a pair of AD2000's and loved them - though a few things bugged me.

 

1. Does the AD2000x still have that graininess that you could hear at times with the AD2000?

2. Does the AD2000x sound as honky at times like the AD2000? (When the mid forwardness ended up sounding nasal and somewhat brash on some tracks.)

3. Just listening to the test here http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php at what Hz do you start to hear the driver working and at what Hz does it sound like the bass stops rolling off?

 

Thanks :3

post #783 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

Wait, would you say the imaging is worse than the AD700?

Preemptive bump. This question is holding up my purchase.

post #784 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Thanks for the impressuins Carlsan! Just some questions since I used to have a pair of AD2000's and loved them - though a few things bugged me.

 

1. Does the AD2000x still have that graininess that you could hear at times with the AD2000?

2. Does the AD2000x sound as honky at times like the AD2000? (When the mid forwardness ended up sounding nasal and somewhat brash on some tracks.)

3. Just listening to the test here http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php at what Hz do you start to hear the driver working and at what Hz does it sound like the bass stops rolling off?

 

Thanks :3

 


1. Didn't notice it on the AD2000X- but I know what you are talking about. It could be there, just haven't noticed. Next time I sit to listen I'll try to listen for this and get back to you if I find it. 

2. No, maybe because the mids aren't as upfront. Again, I'll post otherwise if I find it on the music I am listening to with the AD2000X

3. 30 Hz one starts to hear the rumble, then goes up to 200. Is this what you mean?

 

The AD2000X does sound more refined, more neutral, but lacking a touch of the the mid-richness that made the AD2000 such great cans. Still both are excellent headphones and I could easily sell one and keep the other, because the differences aren't that great.

post #785 of 1887
How do the mids of the ad900x compare to the mids of the ad2000x (if you don't mind!)?
post #786 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post

3. 30 Hz one starts to hear the rumble, then goes up to 200. Is this what you mean?

 

Thanks Carlsan. I mean, when does it feel like to you that the AD2000X stops increasing in volume (the pitch will continually increase to 200hz). It's a little imprecise but I'm trying to get an impression of how steep the bass roll off is on the AD2000X.

post #787 of 1887

I see some of you are saying the AD900x has poor imaging. Does anyone have experience and can compare to the MA900 or the Grado SR325is? (In imaging and more attributes)? I'm trying to narrow down choices.

post #788 of 1887

I just keep coming back to my AD700 when I'm at home, which would be great if the lows weren't as recessed as they are, but I'm just a detail and soundstage whore apparently. Would any of these newer offerings fulfill the neutral, uber AD700 itch that I'm trying to scratch?

post #789 of 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal2000H View Post

I see some of you are saying the AD900x has poor imaging. Does anyone have experience and can compare to the MA900 or the Grado SR325is? (In imaging and more attributes)? I'm trying to narrow down choices.

 

I did a comparison of them here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654161/review-comparison-ath-ad900x-vs-mdr-ma900-its-over-900

 

As for SR325is... I have a pair of AluMods. Their imaging doesn't blow me away either lol.

post #790 of 1887

Wasn't impressed out of the box with the ad900x

 

but let them burn in a little bit, and they sound less congested (got them today).

 

Still on a wait and see basis. they did sound better after i left them going for 2 hours as i went out to dinner.

 

 

But in terms of comfort, wow-they're really good.

and they're enough of an upgrade right now for me.

post #791 of 1887
You should really burn them in with some loud, hard bass & drums for a good 100 hours before eventually coming to the conclusion that you love them. And they still keep improving past 200 hours.
post #792 of 1887

Hmm yea, I definitely will be burning these in overnight when i go to sleep.

 

they sounded really congested right out of the box, and I wasn't impressed.

 

but I do believe in the 'burn in" concept, although i think part of it is in combination with your ears getting used to the headphones.

 

they still sound good so far, just haven't impressed me. still a nice upgrade for me though.

 

I will update as i burn them in.
 

post #793 of 1887
I really will surprised if you end up feeling that they are congested. What is your source btw?
post #794 of 1887

using the fiio e17 as a DAC. listening to mainly 320 kbps mp3's some lower than that.

 

it was more right out of the box, didn't feel like alot of separation. but after the 2 hour burn in, i did feel like it might've been turning the corner.

I did go through this thread again, and noticed plenty of other users claimed burn-in is present with these phones.

 

edit: also using foobar.


Edited by kcazbarach - 3/18/13 at 10:47pm
post #795 of 1887

Switching from HD650 to AD900X main reason because I listen to female vocal music frequently. Am I doing it right? confused_face_2.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x