Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 40

post #586 of 1668

I read this entire thread over the last few days.  I have the AD900's, and I always thought that these have a very nice amount of low end.  But yes, the AD700's are a little bass deficient in comparison.

 

I know this has been mentioned by some, but now my brain is mush with all that I've read.  smile_phones.gif  But has anyone directly compared the AD900 to the AD900x, and how do they sound the same or different?  I'm a little nervous that if too many people say that the AD900x have more bass than the AD900's, that I won't like them, because I really don't think the AD900's need any help in that regard.

 

??

 

Thanks !!

post #587 of 1668

OK, I have a pair of the AD900x's on the way.  biggrin.gif  I did some more critical listening today, and yeah, I do think the AD900's could use a little more help down low.  Maybe add a little more fullness, a little more extension, but not a super huge amount of more low end in an absolute sense.

 

I just hope that some of us who have sprung for these early in the $200 range won't be bummed 3 months from now if they end up selling for a lot less here in the states when they become more widely available domestically!

post #588 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

OK, I have a pair of the AD900x's on the way.  biggrin.gif  I did some more critical listening today, and yeah, I do think the AD900's could use a little more help down low.  Maybe add a little more fullness, a little more extension, but not a super huge amount of more low end in an absolute sense.

 

I just hope that some of us who have sprung for these early in the $200 range won't be bummed 3 months from now if they end up selling for a lot less here in the states when they become more widely available domestically!

I assure you that AD900x will have much better low end than AD900. Last time I auditioned AD900, I thought the sound was way too thin and lifeless, not so with my AD900x, bass is tight and midrange sounds pretty full.

post #589 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

OK, I have a pair of the AD900x's on the way.  biggrin.gif   I did some more critical listening today, and yeah, I do think the AD900's could use a little more help down low.  Maybe add a little more fullness, a little more extension, but not a super huge amount of more low end in an absolute sense.

I just hope that some of us who have sprung for these early in the $200 range won't be bummed 3 months from now if they end up selling for a lot less here in the states when they become more widely available domestically!

From what I understand from an older review (in this thread...?), the 900x does fill the low end up to even out the spectrum a bit. To plug the FiiO E12, the amp pairing helps even more to nicely texture and bring out the lower bass frequencies.

Also, I think some US amazing sellers do have the new AIRx series, but at about $100+ compared to Japanese Amazon prices. I seriously doubt the US release will be cheaper than the Japanese $180.

EDIT: Yamichan beat me to it, but basically what they said. Very satisfying bass response from the 900x
Edited by pngwn - 2/28/13 at 5:27pm
post #590 of 1668

http://waa.ai/0AQ

 

Is this from the US?


Edited by iGREASE - 2/28/13 at 6:40pm
post #591 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGREASE View Post

http://waa.ai/0AQ

Is this from the US?

Seems like it. Comes with full US warranty. Also comes with ~ $80 extra over using amazon.jp and tenso
post #592 of 1668

Woot the AD900X has landed! That is the fastest EMS shipment I've ever gotten :D

post #593 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGREASE View Post

http://waa.ai/0AQ

Is this from the US?

Seems like it. Comes with full US warranty. Also comes with ~ $80 extra over using amazon.jp and tenso

 

Still not as good a deal as from JP, but if you simply must order today and want the US warranty, you can get it ever-so-slightly cheaper ($269) at

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-AD900X

post #594 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Woot the AD900X has landed! That is the fastest EMS shipment I've ever gotten :D

lol grats. Awaiting the review bigsmile_face.gif

post #595 of 1668

I can definitely say that they sure are built incredibly nice. Even moreso than I remember the AD900 being.

 

Hands down stomps all over like a child on an anthill on the MA900 build.

 

On the other hand the MA900 trounces the AD900X on wearing comfort. My AD900X's keep feeling like they want to slide down my head, which I don't remember the AD900 feeling like it would do. The wing mechanism seems less stiff.

 

In terms of sound I'll give the AD900X a few more days to possibly surprise me with some kind of unanticipated change in burn in, but I think I've made up my mind regarding how it stands against the MA900. ;)

post #596 of 1668

A little tip regarding clamp and fit on the AD900X.

You can squeeze the band inward like this. It will have more of an arch and will clamp tighter. For guys that feel these are fitting a bit loose this is the way to fix that issue.. You have to do this several times but in the end the clamp will tighten. .

 

As for burn in.. These benefit from burn in more than any other headphones I have ever heard. The change from open box to 200 hours mark is nothing short of amazing.

post #597 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I can definitely say that they sure are built incredibly nice. Even moreso than I remember the AD900 being.

 

Hands down stomps all over like a child on an anthill on the MA900 build.

 

On the other hand the MA900 trounces the AD900X on wearing comfort. My AD900X's keep feeling like they want to slide down my head, which I don't remember the AD900 feeling like it would do. The wing mechanism seems less stiff.

 

In terms of sound I'll give the AD900X a few more days to possibly surprise me with some kind of unanticipated change in burn in, but I think I've made up my mind regarding how it stands against the MA900. ;)

Looking forward to the MA900 comparison. I was debating between which to get of these two or the Soundmagic 200. The A900X I got this week sounds great without burn in so I believe Dsnuts on how great the AD900X sounds. popcorn.gif

post #598 of 1668

Turns out that putting them on at an angle (from the back of the head towards the face) rather than plonking them straight down fits my head much better. :3

post #599 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfapples View Post

Was in Japan last week, tried out the ad2kx, 1kx and 900x at Yodobashi Camera. I really wanted the ad2000x but didnt have enough cash....In the end I picked up the AD900x.beyersmile.png

Is there a noticeable overall sound quality level at the different price points or is it just different flavors?  AD2000x owner here.  Just curious what's unique about the top model vs the more affordable ones, besides physical differences.

post #600 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

Is there a noticeable overall sound quality level at the different price points or is it just different flavors?  AD2000x owner here.  Just curious what's unique about the top model vs the more affordable ones, besides physical differences.

 

Back when it was the AD2000 and the AD900, it was generally said that the AD900 and AD2000 were just different flavours since the mids on the AD2000 are so coloured. I definitely preferred the AD2000 and thought it performed better than the AD900 though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x