or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x - Page 112

post #1666 of 2084

Well I already have an ad2kx and looking for a closed back headphone. Anyway does anyone here has both? I want to know the difference between the two :)

post #1667 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattousaiX26 View Post
 

Well I already have an ad2kx and looking for a closed back headphone. Anyway does anyone here has both? I want to know the difference between the two :)

 

I currently own the AD2000X and A1000X, and previously owned the A2000X.

 

The closed-backs sound a bit clearer (none of the veil of the AD2000X) with a metallic hue in the upper midrange/treble. The A2000X offers slightly better bass response - tighter, more punch, and goes deeper. Soundstage is only marginally worse to the open AD2KX especially since I don't find the AD2KX impressive at all in that regard. Also, the A1000X/A2000X don't have the throaty midrange that the AD2KX have, so don't expect vocals to stand out. They're more geared towards the neutral/analytical side.

 

IMO both the A1000X and A2000X are solid headphones. The A2000X has a more "U" shaped signature, with slightly more bass and treble. But I don't think the sound is different enough to warrant the A2000X's higher price tag. You're basically paying a premium for the titanium cups and clarion pads, which don't affect the sound all that much.


Edited by viralcow - 4/11/14 at 11:42pm
post #1668 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 

 

I currently own the AD2000X and A1000X, and previously owned the A2000X.

 

The closed-backs sound a bit clearer (none of the veil of the AD2000X) with a metallic hue in the upper midrange/treble. The A2000X offers slightly better bass response - tighter, more punch, and goes deeper. Soundstage is only marginally worse to the open AD2KX especially since I don't find the AD2KX impressive at all in that regard. Also, the A1000X/A2000X don't have the throaty midrange that the AD2KX have, so don't expect vocals to stand out. They're more geared towards the neutral/analytical side.

 

IMO both the A1000X and A2000X are solid headphones. The A2000X has a more "U" shaped signature, with slightly more bass and treble. But I don't think the sound is different enough to warrant the A2000X's higher price tag. You're basically paying a premium for the titanium cups and clarion pads, which don't affect the sound all that much.

I see thank you very much for the response! Now I have an idea on how it sounds... Maybe I will just go for the A1000x then...

post #1669 of 2084

Just got a Project Ember in preparation for the arrival of my new HE-560, but happened to read in Asr's review that the Project Ember was his best amp pairing with his AD2000X. So I've been trying out my AD2000X on my Project Ember for the past hour or so, and all I have to say is wow, wasn't expecting it to make such an improvement! Everything feels much more dynamic throughout the sound spectrum, most noticeably in the low frequencies. Soundstage also feels bigger and more open now. I'm really on the edge of closing my classifieds listing after hearing this pairing. The Project Ember really brings out their full potential.

 

Out of curiosity, what amps have other AD2000X owners been using?

post #1670 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post
 

Just got a Project Ember in preparation for the arrival of my new HE-560, but happened to read in Asr's review that the Project Ember was his best amp pairing with his AD2000X. So I've been trying out my AD2000X on my Project Ember for the past hour or so, and all I have to say is wow, wasn't expecting it to make such an improvement! Everything feels much more dynamic throughout the sound spectrum, most noticeably in the low frequencies. Soundstage also feels bigger and more open now. I'm really on the edge of closing my classifieds listing after hearing this pairing. The Project Ember really brings out their full potential.

 

Out of curiosity, what amps have other AD2000X owners been using?

I am using Alo Audio Pan Am and is quite good also :)

post #1671 of 2084

The ALO Pan Am is great for AT house headphones.

post #1672 of 2084

ATH-AD1000x is ¥27,000 right now on Amazon.jp. Might go even lower, but by looking at the trend it is more likely that it won't be much before the price picks up again.

 

Tempted haha :D

Will be posting this in another thread, not trying to spam/advertise.  Does seem like a decent deal...

post #1673 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post
 

Just got a Project Ember in preparation for the arrival of my new HE-560, but happened to read in Asr's review that the Project Ember was his best amp pairing with his AD2000X. So I've been trying out my AD2000X on my Project Ember for the past hour or so, and all I have to say is wow, wasn't expecting it to make such an improvement! Everything feels much more dynamic throughout the sound spectrum, most noticeably in the low frequencies. Soundstage also feels bigger and more open now. I'm really on the edge of closing my classifieds listing after hearing this pairing. The Project Ember really brings out their full potential.

 

Out of curiosity, what amps have other AD2000X owners been using?

Lyr, Glen OTL, and AudioGD 11.32 all sound fantastic with my AD2kx... The o2, magni and a lot of lower output amps sounded awful... congested and flat. Really I feel the AD2kx needs a lot of power to sound dynamic, even though it is fairly efficient.

post #1674 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post

Lyr, Glen OTL, and AudioGD 11.32 all sound fantastic with my AD2kx... The o2, magni and a lot of lower output amps sounded awful... congested and flat. Really I feel the AD2kx needs a lot of power to sound dynamic, even though it is fairly efficient.

I agree. I found my AD2KX did not come alive until I tried them with a WA6. Fiio e10, e17, LDMKIII, ibasso p3 all left me a little underwhelmed.
post #1675 of 2084
Also after about 150 hours with the AD2000X I'm finding the midrange has smoothed out. Snare drums were especially harsh sounding initially but now these headphones sound a lot more even with no real spikes or dips in the frequency spectrum.
post #1676 of 2084

I have the AD900x, recabled with the best copper wires available for headphone cabling and dual entry.  And I just received the K712 and the K550 in the last week.  Listened to both a lot.

 

AD900x is simply truly an incredible value and fun headphone.  AD900x is simply so much fun.  I don't mind that the K712 has better measurements and less distortion and more neutral, but the forward mids of the AD900x makes the music more intimate and close.  Especially for uplifting music like ASOT mix sets.  The angled drivers just brings the music to me.  K712 the music is afar, but more detailed and separated.  I'm not using audiophile language, this is just how I feel when I listen to the music.  The K712 has also been recabled with best litz silver/copper blend wires, just for reference.  

 

Also BTW, the K550 sound more like the AD900x than the K712.

 

For those who are still on the offense about the AD900x and the recent flagship analysis (ludicrous that the AD900 would be compared to the K812 and HD800), just listen.  AD900x lights up the music and brings it to you aggressively.  That's the best way I would describe the AD900x.  AD900x grabs your head fiecely and says listen to me!.

 

Also want to say the AD900x bass has more impact, slam and speed than both K550 and K712, and the SRH-840 that broke recently.


Edited by SSandDigital - 6/21/14 at 11:00am
post #1677 of 2084


Edited by bassboysam - 6/22/14 at 2:38pm
post #1678 of 2084

nice setup!

post #1679 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post
 

nice setup!


thanks!  I really enjoy the combination of AD2000X and WA6. 

post #1680 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

Very nice! AD2000x is really an underrated headphone that deserves some attention :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x