Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 94

post #1396 of 1907

Like akarise, I too just received my AD2000X from Japan.

 

I've only had a chance to listen for a few hours, so this is a very preliminary comparison.

 

First, I compared the AD2000X to the AD2000 on the Pan Am amp using Cifte tubes. Both headphones sounded wonderful on this setup - 9/10 for both.  The 2kx is a very different presentation from the 2k. Like akarise said, the 2kx gives a much more "in your face" presentation.  It has a closer-in soundstage and more overall edginess and contrast.  I perceived this as slightly elevated bass and treble levels, which pushed the mids back just a tad - still very good mids - but not as forward as the lows and highs. The 2k, on the other hand, gives a more even, wider and less "contrasty" rendition and soundstage.  It also has a touch less bass presence.

 

Compared to my 900x, both the 2kx and the 2k are much smoother and clearer across all frequencies with better detail and balance. The 2kx has a "family resemblance" to the 900x (punchier rendition; bass/treble forward) but the 2kx is more sophisticated.

 

Both the 2kx and 2k sound so good that I am keeping them both. One or the other would be better depending on the music. I may or may not keep the 900x, depending on whether or not I can find a good portable amp match-up (so far, not that great with both the ALO Rx-Mk3-B+ or the Meier Corda Stepdance at 15V).

 

Also, keep in mind that the 2kx has only had about 3 hours on it - and I heard it open up and get smoother during that brief time period.  It may keep improving - stay posted!


Edited by R Scott Ireland - 8/28/13 at 12:54pm
post #1397 of 1907

 

 

W5000 pads on AD2000X , don't know why but seams a bit more confy for me with this ones , seams less "sleepery" on my ears than the standard one .

 

Thinking also in trying the phatpadmod to peraphs improve even more the confort .

 

Edit :

 

I forget to mention about how it affect a bit the sound .

 

Well i get closer to what was the AD2000 , but still not a AD2000 .

 

Slighly less bass than AD2KX with standard pads , but warmer/ more upfront mids , and highs slighly shadowed by mids .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 8/28/13 at 12:17pm
post #1398 of 1907

^^ The drivers in the AD and A series are so sexy! lol When i get my a900x's maybe i'll do a video review.

post #1399 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

Like akarise, I too just received my AD2000X from Japan.

 

I've only had a chance to listen for a few hours, so this is a very preliminary comparison.

 

First, I compared the AD2000X to the AD2000 on the Pan Am amp using Cifte tubes. Both headphones sounded wonderful on this setup - 9/10 for both.  The 2kx is a very different presentation from the 2k. Like akarise said, the 2kx gives a much more "in your face" presentation.  It has a closer-in soundstage and more overall edginess and contrast.  I perceived this as slightly elevated bass and treble levels, which pushed the mids back just a tad - still very good mids - but not as forward as the lows and highs. The 2k, on the other hand, gives a more even, wider and less "contrasty" rendition and soundstage.  It also has a touch less bass presence.

 

Compared to my 900x, both the 2kx and the 2k are much smoother and clearer across all frequencies with better detail and balance. The 2kx has a "family resemblance" to the 900x (punchier rendition; bass/treble forward) but the 2kx is more sophisticated.

 

Both the 2kx and 2k sound so good that I am keeping them both. One or the other would be better depending on the music. I may or may not keep the 900x, depending on whether or not I can find a good portable amp match-up (so far, not that great with both the ALO Rx-Mk2-B+ or the Meier Corda Stepdance at 15V).

 

Also, keep in mind that the 2kx has only had about 3 hours on it - and I heard it open up and get smoother during that brief time period.  It may keep improving - stay posted!

Great to see a fellow AD900X to AD2KX upgradee! Always good to have others to compare notes with. It's interesting that you thought the mids were slightly pushed back, I thought they were actually a bit more forward... I'll have to check that again once I get home from work. I'm jealous you have BOTH the 2K and 2KX to play with, you must be having the best time haha.

post #1400 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I wouldn't sell my AD1000X to get the AD2000X, I need them side by side to compare. Then I would sell one or both, depending on how I feel lol. I have had my eyes on a Beyerdynamic T90 recently...

 

Can't say much here, but just make sure you try the T90 first before pull the trigger, because they're simply very very different headphone. The only similiarity about them is they're not basshead headphone, but that's about it wink.gif

post #1401 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

Great to see a fellow AD900X to AD2KX upgradee! Always good to have others to compare notes with. It's interesting that you thought the mids were slightly pushed back, I thought they were actually a bit more forward... I'll have to check that again once I get home from work. I'm jealous you have BOTH the 2K and 2KX to play with, you must be having the best time haha.

 

Yes, It's fun comparing both the 2k and 2kx!

 

The mids were only very slightly back on the 2kx.  It's as if the treble and bass were closer on the soundstage and the mids were center-rear.  Who knows?  Maybe it's just my ears. 

post #1402 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

 

Yes, It's fun comparing both the 2k and 2kx!

 

The mids were only very slightly back on the 2kx.  It's as if the treble and bass were closer on the soundstage and the mids were center-rear.  Who knows?  Maybe it's just my ears. 

 

i have a similar thought on the mids in the AD2KX, slghtly recessed.
post #1403 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

 

i have a similar thought on the mids in the AD2KX, slghtly recessed.


use W5000 pads tongue.gif it make mids a bit more upfront/warmer , and reduce slightly bass , and shadow a little highs , still not an AD2000 , but closer .

post #1404 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post


use W5000 pads tongue.gif it make mids a bit more upfront/warmer , and reduce slightly bass , and shadow a little highs , still not an AD2000 , but closer .

 

no need, i like the way the AD2KX sounds as is :) More than enough mids, and highs and certainly doesn't need a reduction in bass.
post #1405 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

 

no need, i like the way the AD2KX sounds as is :) More than enough mids, and highs and certainly doesn't need a reduction in bass.

 

+1

post #1406 of 1907

Hi guys, AD2000X owner here.

 

I sold my AD900X which I had for 5 months to get the AD2000X. I also tried the AD1000X at my local audio store and even directly A/B’ed it with the AD2000X. Here is a small comparison of AD1000X and AD2000X. Please take it with a grain of salt as my memory of the AD1000X might be wrong.

 

 

AD1000X vs AD2000X

 

Bass: Both AD1000X and AD2000X had similar bass quantity. Both has more sub bass presence, and both punches harder than AD900X. Couldn’t tell any difference really.

 

Treble: Likewise, both had very similar treble. Present, but not sharp or fatiguing like the AD900X. Can’t comment further as I’m not very sensitive to the highs.

 

Mids: AD2000X has slightly more forward mids than AD1000X. Female vocals are a touch sweeter on the AD2000X. Maybe it’s the upper mids. AD2000X are more detailed on the mids too, I could hear nuances in the vocals more than I could on the AD1000X. Both has fantastic mids though, better than AD900X.

 

Soundstage: Both are similar in size. Whereas AD900X has the largest soundstage, AD1000X & AD2000X have a more closed-in and intimate soundstage. Still pretty large though, definitely larger than the average closed can. Imaging or instrument placement is very precise and pinpoint on both, unlike the AD900X.

 

The biggest difference I could tell between the AD1000X and AD2000X is that AD2000X is more engaging and in-your-face, while AD1000X is very slightly more laid-back. The AD1000X is still very forward sounding on its own though. Overall the AD2000X has more clarity, more detail, and more refinement than AD1000X but both has almost the exact same sound signature. In other words, AD2000X is just a more refined AD1000X.

 

Is it worth the price jump from AD1000X to AD2000X? After having spent almost 2 months with my AD2000X, IMO I think not. If I haven’t purchased the AD2000X and were given a choice between the two, I would have been completely fine with the AD1000X.

 

 

Thank you for reading. Hope my impressions made sense.

post #1407 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Scott Ireland View Post

 

Yes, It's fun comparing both the 2k and 2kx!

 

The mids were only very slightly back on the 2kx.  It's as if the treble and bass were closer on the soundstage and the mids were center-rear.  Who knows?  Maybe it's just my ears. 

Ah you meant the placement of mids in the soundstage, I can see what you mean now. I meant that mids sounded slightly more prominent compared to the lows and highs. I may have gotten too used to having my E12 bass boost turned on though, so my hearing might be skewed after turning it off for impressions.

post #1408 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

Just curious, can anyone confirm if the AD1KX has a metal frame as well?

 

I'm not sure. It might be plastic. By frame, you mean the ring around the cup, not the backside honeycomb grille right?

post #1409 of 1907

I just got my AD2000 in the post and have been listening for the past hour or so. First off ... Wow. Coming from the AD900x to the AD2000 is exactly what I imagined a "holy ****" moment to be like. Everything is just so much clearer and defined! Took me a minute to get used to colour, but I'm really enjoying these cans so far. I feel like for now, I have the sound that I was looking for out of my AD900x. The E12 subbass boost is an absolute blessing, but even without, the punchier, harder bass is already preferred over the AD900x's. Suddenly, my old cans just look like a bunch of shortcomings. The build quality also doesn't compare.

 

I started off my session with some of my favorite trance and electro, which I loved, but I was a bit blown away by my rock tracks.

 

Anyway, those are my first impressions for now, more to come after a few days!

post #1410 of 1907

Yeah the ring and part where the wings are attached.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x