Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and... - Page 69

post #1021 of 1856
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katun View Post


I've been curious about the X1 myself, but the reviews stating they're bass heavy sorta made me lose interest. Plus, I don't think I could bring myself to buy the X1 over my favorite headphone which also happens to be around the same price; the HD650. But I think you're on that right track. If you've already heard either the AD700 or AD900, there really isn't a point to feeding your curiosity and buying the AD900X; unless you *really* loved their sound and wanted a slight upgrade/sidestep. 

 

I too, am extremely glad Sony revived the F1. Hopefully, they'll decide to take it one step further, and make the MA1000 or something. If they made it with significantly better build and fine tuned the sound a bit more, I honestly think we'd have a simply outstanding headphone on our hands. But until then, the MA900 will do. I just hope it gains a bit of popularity so Sony has an incentive. Everyone seems to get too caught up with FOTM items, and sometimes glance over gems like itself.

 

Q701 is one of my favorite headphones. Unfortunately, It was quite a spacing from when I owned it and the MA900. All I can really attest to is that the MA900 has much smoother/polite treble. 

 

 

Yes, there is a fine line between a fun amount of bass and an annoying amount of bass.  I'm not sure which of those the X1 leans towards.  I really dig the design though: open with big delicious velour earpads.  I've read positive things about it's soundstage too.

 

Ad700s were my first real "audiophile" headphone, and I loved and held onto them for a long time.  I even modded them a few times (both inside and out).  My favorite thing about the AD700s was the massive soundstage and the air.  The serious lack of bass eventually wore on me though.  AD900s improved the bass slightly (but not that much), but also lost some of the magic of the AD700s soundstage - so I didn't keep them around.  I imagine the AD900X will fare similarly.

 

I always thought you couldn't have an open headphone with BOTH a large and impressive soundstage AND a thick punchy sound  - until I heard the Q701s.  After that I knew I could never go back to the AD700s empty "tin can" bass, so I had to sell them. 


Edited by chicolom - 4/25/13 at 9:28pm
post #1022 of 1856

I got my AD900X a few days ago. I'm sort of disappointed, but still have hope. Right now, it's sound /really/ congested. The high leaks over to the mid so much that I have trouble listening to vocals. I hope it'll fix itself  after a while. Also, not very comfy on my head.

 

My E12 is coming in like a week or two, hope it'll make them sound better too. Right now I'm running them on my Xonar DGX and iPod Classic 6G 120GB.

 

I've been looking forward to these so much, finger's crossed they'll grow on me.

post #1023 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanoflies View Post

I got my AD900X a few days ago. I'm sort of disappointed, but still have hope. Right now, it's sound /really/ congested. The high leaks over to the mid so much that I have trouble listening to vocals. I hope it'll fix itself  after a while. Also, not very comfy on my head.

 

My E12 is coming in like a week or two, hope it'll make them sound better too. Right now I'm running them on my Xonar DGX and iPod Classic 6G 120GB.

 

I've been looking forward to these so much, finger's crossed they'll grow on me.

Don't worry, I thought the same thing when I first got mine. The change after a good burn-in is extremely huge, I couldn't believe how big of a difference it made. They sound absolutely amazing afterwards, just need a little patience!

post #1024 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

Don't worry, I thought the same thing when I first got mine. The change after a good burn-in is extremely huge, I couldn't believe how big of a difference it made. They sound absolutely amazing afterwards, just need a little patience!

Brain-in not burn-in ;)

post #1025 of 1856

Well, it doesn't matter if it's a burn-in, a brain-in, a freeze-in or whatever. As long as I like it after a while, I'll be happy.

post #1026 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanoflies View Post

Well, it doesn't matter if it's a burn-in, a brain-in, a freeze-in or whatever. As long as I like it after a while, I'll be happy.

The AD series does seem to need some settling down. The treble on my AD700 tamed greatly after just 100 hours and continued to do so after 400 hours. Give it time.
post #1027 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanoflies View Post

I got my AD900X a few days ago. I'm sort of disappointed, but still have hope. Right now, it's sound /really/ congested. The high leaks over to the mid so much that I have trouble listening to vocals. I hope it'll fix itself  after a while. Also, not very comfy on my head.

 

My E12 is coming in like a week or two, hope it'll make them sound better too. Right now I'm running them on my Xonar DGX and iPod Classic 6G 120GB.

 

I've been looking forward to these so much, finger's crossed they'll grow on me.

 

that's such a shame, especially after all the delays you experienced in receiving the pair. do you have any other sources you can try the headphones with? something like a galaxy s3 or a note 2 has a really good dac in it which might help. maybe the airy sound signature doesn't suit your tastes well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post


The AD series does seem to need some settling down. The treble on my AD700 tamed greatly after just 100 hours and continued to do so after 400 hours. Give it time.
 
i think i have used mine 900x for around 100 hours already. i don't think anything has changed...
post #1028 of 1856

I'm sort of starting to like it better -- I think.

 

Well, slower music is wonderful, the airiness is definitely something I really like about the sound. Although the sound stage is not as big as I had hoped, and the level of detail/separation isn't quite there, I think I still like it ... 

 

Only thing bugging me at the moment is that I'm having trouble listening to faster music. If I try to focus on the vocals, I end up with exhausted ears very fast (EDIT: mostly because I feel like the highs are like ... err ... 'fighting' with the mids). Additionally, some instruments are somewhat hard to pick out when the composition is more complex.

 

I'll keep listening until I like them :).

 

As for an other source, I've tried my Galaxy Nexus (which supposedly house a decent enough DAC) and my iPad 4 but they suffer from the same issues.


Edited by Yanoflies - 4/28/13 at 8:30am
post #1029 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post


The AD series does seem to need some settling down. The treble on my AD700 tamed greatly after just 100 hours and continued to do so after 400 hours. Give it time.

I've owned my AD700 for roughly two years and listened to them plenty.  The treble has never "tamed", still just a piercing as day one.  

Go to the doctor and complain about the insensitivity to high frequencies.  Make sure you inform him/her that you were wearing an Audio Technica AD700, they'll know what you're talking about. biggrin.gif

post #1030 of 1856

Gonna take at least 40 hours of use to start loosening up the diaphragms. Until they start moving air after breaking in, they will sound a bit flat across the sound spectrum. The highs will change a little. First noticeable difference should be in the mid-ranges then finally the lows. True with most any new headphones.  Once the mids and lows show up, the staging will spread out because your hearing will have a contrast to compare to.

 

A Xonar DGX sound card leaves something to be desired, not much of a step up from modern day on-board sound chip. Any adjustments made are software based past the initial hardware sound output. After listening thru an E12 amp and its LME opamps, you'll sell the sound card on Ebay.

 

I think Audio Technica's idea of adding bass is just 'darkening' the sound.

 

Run some deep bass sounds through your new phones to loosen them up. The diaphragms are still stiff.

 

[Edit: Never could spell]


Edited by razzz42 - 4/28/13 at 11:51am
post #1031 of 1856

A large of the "change" in sound comes from your own interpretation, a "Brain-in" if you will.

Some headphones have a very noticeable change in signature after 100 hours, the AD900X however didn't with me.

The whole matter is really subjective to the owner, burn-in or brain-in.

I do enjoy the AD900X, but lately I've been listening to music with more emphasis in bass.


Edited by Yazen - 4/28/13 at 12:39pm
post #1032 of 1856

So everyone's getting off the AD900x train and onto the MA900.

post #1033 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by as.we.proceed View Post

So everyone's getting off the AD900x train and onto the MA900.

I was the opposite lol.

post #1034 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

I've owned my AD700 for roughly two years and listened to them plenty.  The treble has never "tamed", still just a piercing as day one.  


Go to the doctor and complain about the insensitivity to high frequencies.  Make sure you inform him/her that you were wearing an Audio Technica AD700, they'll know what you're talking about. biggrin.gif

Could it be possible people hear different things? I think that's a strong possibility. wink.gif
post #1035 of 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

A large of the "change" in sound comes from your own interpretation, a "Brain-in" if you will.
Some headphones have a very noticeable change in signature after 100 hours, the AD900X however didn't with me.
The whole matter is really subjective to the owner, burn-in or brain-in.
I do enjoy the AD900X, but lately I've been listening to music with more emphasis in bass.

Ok ok. I get it now. You don't believe in burn-in and instead want to pretend it's just in people's heads. Let's not start that futile debate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x