or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › VentureCraft new DDC/DAC Go-DAP DD Socket 1 product
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VentureCraft new DDC/DAC Go-DAP DD Socket 1 product - Page 36

post #526 of 594
I charge it from any if four sources around the house - wall, computer, etc. some are faster some are slower but I don't pay attention to that.
post #527 of 594

The thing I don't understand with apple license separate portable dacs units like the dd socket and solo is why they have to be so big. Venturecraft's own Go-Dap Unit 4.0 dac/amp combo is the same size as an iphone 4 so technically the dd socket should be smaller or equal in size at the very least. The Fiio E18 is significantly slimmer and even includes an integrated amp. The ak100 has a high quality dac that is less than half the size of the dd socket. The dragonfly is only the size of a typical thumb drive. Why?  


Edited by Fungus - 3/6/14 at 4:47pm
post #528 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post

The thing I don't understand with apple license separate portable dacs units like the dd socket and solo is why they have to be so big. Venturecraft's own Go-Dap Unit 4.0 dac/amp combo is the same size as an iphone 4 so technically the dd socket should be smaller or equal in size at the very least. The Fiio E18 is significantly slimmer and even includes an integrated amp. The ak100 has a high quality dac that is less than half the size of the dd socket. The dragonfly is only the size of a typical thumb drive. Why?  
If I knew how I'd like to put a bigger battery into my DD Socket 1 to maximize the use of that large chassis.
post #529 of 594
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
 

The thing I don't understand with apple license separate portable dacs units like the dd socket and solo is why they have to be so big. Venturecraft's own Go-Dap Unit 4.0 dac/amp combo is the same size as an iphone 4 so technically the dd socket should be smaller or equal in size at the very least. The Fiio E18 is significantly slimmer and even includes an integrated amp. The ak100 has a high quality dac that is less than half the size of the dd socket. The dragonfly is only the size of a typical thumb drive. Why?  

Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


If I knew how I'd like to put a bigger battery into my DD Socket 1 to maximize the use of that large chassis.

 

The DD has an over 3000mAh capacity (I'd like to say 3500mAh but I think that's the most recent iterations of the DD but if you have an older one I don't know exactly the size of the battery) whilst the Solo (presumably you're talking about the -dB rather than the original Solo) has something like a 5800mAh or 5900mAh battery in it.

 

About putting in an even larger battery in the DD, there's actually room, quite a bit actually. If one knows where to buy the battery with the correct termination, you could upgrade. That's not such a bad idea especially with the DD the iPhone 5 case, and an upgraded battery the DD can be a the iPhone charger & DAC at the same time. I never used the GD4.0 as an iPhone charger though 'cos the battery capacity wasn't even enough to fully charge an iPhone and would drain in an hour.

 

The CLAS -dB OTOH has demonstrated with a large battery one could fully charge and still use the device as a DAC for an extended duration. So if one likes the DD's DAC and pre-amp opamp design, it just needs a bigger batttery inside.

post #530 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post


If I knew how I'd like to put a bigger battery into my DD Socket 1 to maximize the use of that large chassis.

Me too! A firmware update that allows for the dac to run whilst charging would be even better. 

post #531 of 594
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
 

Me too! A firmware update that allows for the dac to run whilst charging would be even better. 

 

That I have a feeling won't be just firmware. That's something I wished for and included as a part of a "To do's" to VentureCraft since the GD4.0 days and still no luck. With the DD operating the same way, I think it's fair to assume that the DD has it's roots (in terms of design) from the GD4.0. 

post #532 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

The DD has an over 3000mAh capacity (I'd like to say 3500mAh but I think that's the most recent iterations of the DD but if you have an older one I don't know exactly the size of the battery) whilst the Solo (presumably you're talking about the -dB rather than the original Solo) has something like a 5800mAh or 5900mAh battery in it.

 

About putting in an even larger battery in the DD, there's actually room, quite a bit actually. If one knows where to buy the battery with the correct termination, you could upgrade. That's not such a bad idea especially with the DD the iPhone 5 case, and an upgraded battery the DD can be a the iPhone charger & DAC at the same time. I never used the GD4.0 as an iPhone charger though 'cos the battery capacity wasn't even enough to fully charge an iPhone and would drain in an hour.

 

The CLAS -dB OTOH has demonstrated with a large battery one could fully charge and still use the device as a DAC for an extended duration. So if one likes the DD's DAC and pre-amp opamp design, it just needs a bigger batttery inside.

Is the GD4.0 dac the same quality as the socket cos there hasn't been any good comments so far on the GD4.0. it's also sold at a much cheaper price.  

post #533 of 594
I find that with my CLAS-R and Theorem, I can use them after a week of non-use and they still have plenty of juice. The DD on the other hand will usually give an hour or so and then give up. It reminds me of old tech NiCad batteries. I don't think it's a question of battery capacity. I have to charge it every 3 days or so just to keep it juiced up and even then it's frustrating because you must remember to put the switch to on to charge, and then flick back to off when it's charged. All in all a very inelegant design feature. Luckily it only cost me USD151 from Rakuten (275 opamp).
post #534 of 594
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
 

Is the GD4.0 dac the same quality as the socket cos there hasn't been any good comments so far on the GD4.0. it's also sold at a much cheaper price.  

 

I actually enjoyed the GD4.0 and I still have it. But mine is a little customised with the AD8397 OpAmp where that optional upgrade was offered only for a short time. You'll find more OPA1612, standard 2134, etc out there.

The difference though between the GD4.0 & the DD is that the GD4.0 is a DAC/Amp combo which can't be split - or use it as a transport altogether to an external DAC. The DD OTOH is much more confirgurable, not just in terms of being able to have different branded amps but configurable in the pre-amp OpAmp level too (where currently I use the OPA627SM but have Muses 01/02 if I want to).

 

Personally I really like the GD4.0 quite a bit mainly due to the integrated jacket. I'm really not a fan of external cables hanging out. I've even talked to VentureCraft about sliding cases for the phones (much like the Metallo but my discussions were even before the Verza/Metallo) where the case is L-shaped at the bottom so that the connector/cables are hidden and VentureCraft could sell these cases as accessories - different cases for different phones, different colours, etc. However that seems to be quite a large capital investment in design, mold, etc.

post #535 of 594

Great price but only 1hr? but still worth it thou dispute the major flaws and can hold it's own again the likes of the solo/db/r which costs significantly more. 


Edited by Fungus - 3/6/14 at 5:32pm
post #536 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post

Great price but only 1hr? but still worth it thou dispute the major flaws and can hold it's own again the likes of the solo/db/r which costs significantly more. 
Ok maybe two hours. For the price I paid, it's okay. It's just frustrating when you want to listen and you have not used it more than a week ago. That's why if only I could add a bigger battery.
post #537 of 594
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
 

Great price but only 1hr? but still worth it thou dispute the major flaws and can hold it's own again the likes of the solo/db/r which costs significantly more. 

 

Originally Posted by georgelai57 View Post

Ok maybe two hours. For the price I paid, it's okay. It's just frustrating when you want to listen and you have not used it more than a week ago. That's why if only I could add a bigger battery.

 

Just don't use it for charging (both GD4 and DD). Save the battery juice for the DAC/(pre-)amp. That's what I do. Only if I can source a larger capacity battery for the DD would I consider using it as an iPhone charger. With the GD4, no such luck as it's too small to fit in a larger battery - the current 2100mAh is about the max that will fit - unless there's some higher capacity-at-the-same-size that'll fit in.

 

Mind you though there had been occasions that the DD battery charging had saved me from a dying iPhone - which was more important than listening to music on that occasion.

 

Now I'm on Android :-(.

post #538 of 594
AnakChan please try to convince the good folks if VC to release an updated version of their limited edition dd socket 1, something that can compete with the cypher labs that can be set as laptop DAC, that would be sweet!

i really like the sound of my ddsocket1, so darn enjoyable with great detailing. Micro detail can be a touch lacking but can be enough with the right iem.
post #539 of 594

Plus the fact that you can't charge it while in use. I would highly recommend you swapping out the stock 275 to the 627, sounds fantastic and to me, more of an improvement then all of my previous portable amp upgrades with my ipod. Strangely when using it with my ipod ,I'm getting a shorter run time. 


Edited by Fungus - 3/6/14 at 6:25pm
post #540 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post

Plus the fact that you can't charge it while in use. I would highly recommend you swapping out the stock 275 to the 627, sounds fantastic and to me, more of an improvement then all of my previous portable amp upgrades with my ipod. Strangely when using it with my ipod ,I'm getting a shorter run time. 
Silly question time. How many op amps do I need? A friend might be going to Japan soon so I might get him to pick up 627 or muse for me. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › VentureCraft new DDC/DAC Go-DAP DD Socket 1 product