Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Closed headphones for music + gaming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed headphones for music + gaming?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

My budget is 500 dollars. I'm looking for a closed headphone with good isolation for both music and gaming. I listen to rock and metal bands suh as metallica, nirvana, guns and roses, green day, etc. There are things which are crucial to me:

 

1. I want it to have good mids and a very full body, I don't want the mids to be recessed at all.

 

2. I want it to have a good soundstage for gaming, and a decent bass impact would be a plus for casual gaming, but soundstage is the priority.

 

3. it needs to be fairly fast and good for my genres.

 

What would be the best match for me?

post #2 of 17

Heya,

 

Modded T50RP comes to mind (Thunderpants, Mad Dogs, etc)

Beyer DT770 with a lot of tweaking (equalization for mids perfection)

Denon D5000 with minor tweaking (equalization to balance mids out)

 

Very best,

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

Modded T50RP comes to mind (Thunderpants, Mad Dogs, etc)

Beyer DT770 with a lot of tweaking (equalization for mids perfection)

Denon D5000 with minor tweaking (equalization to balance mids out)

 

Very best,

I've heard a lot of things about the mad dogs, people even compare it against the LCD-2. Will they good for rock and metal? Is it's soundstage good enough for gaming (I'm not extremely competitive, but I want a good soundstage)? How is it's soundstage compared to the pro 900? Also, considering it's a planar, will a fiio e11 be enough (along with a DAC like the HRT MusicStreamer II for when I'm listening at home). Do you think they benefit from a desktop amp like the NFB12.1?

 

Sorry for so much questions lol :P

post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

I've heard a lot of things about the mad dogs, people even compare it against the LCD-2. Will they good for rock and metal? Is it's soundstage good enough for gaming (I'm not extremely competitive, but I want a good soundstage)? How is it's soundstage compared to the pro 900? Also, considering it's a planar, will a fiio e11 be enough (along with a DAC like the HRT MusicStreamer II for when I'm listening at home). Do you think they benefit from a desktop amp like the NFB12.1?

 

Sorry for so much questions lol :P

 

Heya,

 

They're excellent for all genres, but that is subjective. I enjoyed them for everything from dub to classical.

The sound stage is good for a closed headphone.

The PRO900's sound stage is artificial, via S-logic. It's similar. I wasn't impressed with S-logic anyways though.

It's an efficient planar magnetic, it will run from virtually anything. It simply benefits more and more from more current from an amp.

The E11 is more than enough. But it's portable only and won't function well at home with a USB DAC for full time use.

The NFB12 is excellent for it, massive power output (2+ watts into it's low ohm rating), good DAC. Good price ($200ish).

Fiio E10 would also be just fine and has the same DAC as the NFB12. Power output is less, but sufficient for the T50RP.

 

Very best,

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Heya,

 

They're excellent for all genres, but that is subjective. I enjoyed them for everything from dub to classical.

The sound stage is good for a closed headphone.

The PRO900's sound stage is artificial, via S-logic. It's similar. I wasn't impressed with S-logic anyways though.

It's an efficient planar magnetic, it will run from virtually anything. It simply benefits more and more from more current from an amp.

The E11 is more than enough. But it's portable only and won't function well at home with a USB DAC for full time use.

The NFB12 is excellent for it, massive power output (2+ watts into it's low ohm rating), good DAC. Good price ($200ish).

Fiio E10 would also be just fine and has the same DAC as the NFB12. Power output is less, but sufficient for the T50RP.

 

Very best,

I think I have found the perfect headphone for me :)

 

There's something else though, I don't think they come with a hard case. Do you think they fit in the hifiman hard case? If not, is there a hard case I could buy for it? I saw a hard case once which had foam inside where you could cut out the space for the headphone inside, I wish I could find the site that sells it.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

I think I have found the perfect headphone for me :)

 

There's something else though, I don't think they come with a hard case. Do you think they fit in the hifiman hard case? If not, is there a hard case I could buy for it? I saw a hard case once which had foam inside where you could cut out the space for the headphone inside, I wish I could find the site that sells it.

 

Heya,

 

They will fit in the Hifiman hard case. Hifiman's are big headphones.

 

I use pelican cases for my hard cases though. Crush proof, with foam inserts that you pluck to fit your needs. The 1450 model is my favorite, big enough for two headphones. Just look at inner measurements to be sure when looking at cases.

 

Very best,

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

I think I have found the perfect headphone for me :)

 

There's something else though, I don't think they come with a hard case. Do you think they fit in the hifiman hard case? If not, is there a hard case I could buy for it? I saw a hard case once which had foam inside where you could cut out the space for the headphone inside, I wish I could find the site that sells it.

The Mad Dogs are amazing. The soundstage is really nice for a closed headphones. Much better in my opinion then the d5ks I have. If you want HUGE soundstage I think open headphones would be better, but for closed I really love my mad dogs. I personally find them pretty neutral but with the new mad dog pads the bass is there a bit more. If you do consider open headphones HE-400s are amazing. 

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Heya,

 

They will fit in the Hifiman hard case. Hifiman's are big headphones.

 

I use pelican cases for my hard cases though. Crush proof, with foam inserts that you pluck to fit your needs. The 1450 model is my favorite, big enough for two headphones. Just look at inner measurements to be sure when looking at cases.

 

Very best,

 

I was looking for something that could fit in a backpack. I think ebay sells a case for the hd650 which seems good, but do you know where I could purchase some foam to put inside like the foam in the pelican cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

The Mad Dogs are amazing. The soundstage is really nice for a closed headphones. Much better in my opinion then the d5ks I have. If you want HUGE soundstage I think open headphones would be better, but for closed I really love my mad dogs. I personally find them pretty neutral but with the new mad dog pads the bass is there a bit more. If you do consider open headphones HE-400s are amazing. 

Where can I purchase the mad dog + dog pads?

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

 

I was looking for something that could fit in a backpack. I think ebay sells a case for the hd650 which seems good, but do you know where I could purchase some foam to put inside like the foam in the pelican cases?

Where can I purchase the mad dog + dog pads?

just google mrspeakers. Thats his website. He has an option to buy them with both the comfort strap and ear pads. I suggest both ^_^

post #10 of 17

If you can add your budget a little bit more to 800, then a used ultrasone signature 9 is the way to good, very very solid bass, good for gaming, but I cannot withstand it strong bass for a few hours, but you may be different. 

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by atonce View Post

If you can add your budget a little bit more to 800, then a used ultrasone signature 9 is the way to good, very very solid bass, good for gaming, but I cannot withstand it strong bass for a few hours, but you may be different. 

oh man If he was raising the price I would say go for denon d7000s or LCD2s

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 

Is the isolation in the mad dog good?

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

Is the isolation in the mad dog good?

Pretty damn good. With music at a normal volume you can hardly hear much. Granted they are not on the level of IEMs, but for passive isolation on a headphone they are damn good. Why better then say... my denons ^_^

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Whats the difference between the mad dog and the LFF paradox? Which one will be better for me?

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmettMark View Post

Whats the difference between the mad dog and the LFF paradox? Which one will be better for me?

Each Paradox is hand-tweaked by LFF until he is absolutely satisfied with the sound they are producing. There's probably ~1 month between order placement and order shipment. That said, you are purchasing a quality headphone that stands its ground against some of the best headphones in the market right now. Soundstage is to date the best I've heard out of closed cans. I cannot really imagine it getting any better. Unfortunately for your wallet, the Paradox loves amplification. To hear the headphone at it's very best, you have to be prepared to drop a substantial amount on a suitable amp to power it. With the budget you stated, I'm not sure they are right for you at this time.

 

Have not had an experience with the Mad Dogs, so am not sure if they are the same way when it comes to driving them. Would imagine something similar as they share the same drivers.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Closed headphones for music + gaming?