Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread - Page 5

post #61 of 442

If you don't need portability, I'd just get the 003/252 set. 

post #62 of 442
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

I like to enter the STAX world but have no clue which one is a good entry:Sr 003 mk 2 + Srm 252 S vs
Sr 002 + Srm 002


Which one would make a good entry? I like to use this strictly for home purposes so portability will not matter. Thanks in advance. 

Stax in ear speaker Sr 002 is the same with Stax Sr 003 mk2.
The different is only at the jack/connector ,
If do not use as portable , it is better for the entry level you choose
Sr 003 MK 2 + Srm 252 S for home use
Has better power than the portable amp Srm 002.
post #63 of 442
Hi group, I am reading this thread with my mouth agape. I have been using a portable STAX system for YEARS!! My first portable rig was a Sony D-15 with the Lead Acid plate battery, SRD-p and a set of STAX SR-Lambda pro's. Currently I have a set of SR-003's and an SRX-p and SRD-p. a. The earspeaker was uncomfortable at best until I got a custom ear molds. That made a huge difference not only in comfort but in sound as well. See my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573774/stax-sr-003-with-custom-ear-molds b. There is no isolation. I took the system on BART one day from SF to Oakland (Millbrae to MacArthur for those of you in the SF Bay Area - Go Giants!) and it was unusable while the train was in motion. c. The rig is heavy; too heavy to be viable for anything more than walking around. Also, the wind/breeze noise is too distracting to use outside. It is portable, think like taking it somewhere and placing on a table like a hotel on a trip. Not great at a park or at the beach though. Because of the small size of the drivers they are nearly ideal for a library - I have never had a complaint and, unlike the SR-404's my family never complains if I use them in the living room. The cable is short and lightweight. I have shopped with it at a mall. I get 60 hours from a set of alkaline C-cells. The amp can use a "wall wart" too. d. With the custom molds I never use the headband anymore. I highly recommend the custom molds. e. I can wear them for long periods of time which was not the case before the custom ear molds. f. The SR-003's with the SRD-p or SRX-p is a terrific bedroom system. Message me if you want more opinion.
post #64 of 442
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspivak View Post

Hi group, I am reading this thread with my mouth agape. I have been using a portable STAX system for YEARS!! My first portable rig was a Sony D-15 with the Lead Acid plate battery, SRD-p and a set of STAX SR-Lambda pro's. Currently I have a set of SR-003's and an SRX-p and SRD-p. a. The earspeaker was uncomfortable at best until I got a custom ear molds. That made a huge difference not only in comfort but in sound as well. See my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573774/stax-sr-003-with-custom-ear-molds b. There is no isolation. I took the system on BART one day from SF to Oakland (Millbrae to MacArthur for those of you in the SF Bay Area - Go Giants!) and it was unusable while the train was in motion. c. The rig is heavy; too heavy to be viable for anything more than walking around. Also, the wind/breeze noise is too distracting to use outside. It is portable, think like taking it somewhere and placing on a table like a hotel on a trip. Not great at a park or at the beach though. Because of the small size of the drivers they are nearly ideal for a library - I have never had a complaint and, unlike the SR-404's my family never complains if I use them in the living room. The cable is short and lightweight. I have shopped with it at a mall. I get 60 hours from a set of alkaline C-cells. The amp can use a "wall wart" too. d. With the custom molds I never use the headband anymore. I highly recommend the custom molds. e. I can wear them for long periods of time which was not the case before the custom ear molds. f. The SR-003's with the SRD-p or SRX-p is a terrific bedroom system. Message me if you want more opinion.

Thank you for sharing pspivak
It is very cool idea with custom ear mold
I am waiting my sr 002 , because some changes in the design .
If still uncomfortable I will follow your idea
post #65 of 442

I wonder if it uses the same diaphragm as the 009 which is thinner and lighter than before, trickle down effect. From what I read, Stax spent a lot of resources to design and develop the 009, that's why its very expensive.

 

edit: There is a big price jump from SR001MkII/SRM001 ($350) to SR002/SRM002 ($650).


Edited by wuwhere - 10/21/12 at 2:14pm
post #66 of 442

Here are the PDF files for the new Stax units (sorry if its already been posted)

 

http://www.headamp.com/newstax1.pdf

 

http://www.headamp.com/newstax2.pdf

 

I'm supposed to have them in stock early November, in 3 forms: w/ portable amp, w/ wall-powered amp, and just the earphones with a 5-pin pro bias plug.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #67 of 442

http://www.headamp.com/order/index.htm#stax-in-the-ear


I just added the 3 new Stax in-ear-speaker models for pre-order, supposed to arrive early November

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #68 of 442

Hi guys,

Have never listened to a SR-003.

What would the sound signature be like compared to a O2 Mk1?

Are these generally though of as being better than similar priced IEMs?

Thinking of getting the new SRS005S for work.

Thanks

post #69 of 442
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyaudio View Post

Hi guys,
Have never listened to a SR-003.
What would the sound signature be like compared to a O2 Mk1?
Are these generally though of as being better than similar priced IEMs?
Thinking of getting the new SRS005S for work.
Thanks

I have heard sr 001 MK 2 and Srm 001 ,

Sr 002 is identical / same unit as sr 003 MK 2 , the different is only on the connector

Sr 002 can use only with battery powered Srm 002

Sr 003 MK 2 has 5 pin connector can drive with any kind of Stax Srm series / desktop amp

The sound quality is almost the same like sr 007 mk 2 , because sr 003 MK 2 now has

15 % thiner driver compare to the old one sr 003 MK 1, can delivery more clarity and faster speed .
I hope this can help you
post #70 of 442

Had a listen to the new portable Stax yesterday using my DX100 as a source. Roughly speaking, it sounds like a pair of 009s in an IEM whereas the older portable gave me the impression of a pair of 007s in an IEM. Soundstage was narrow and "in-your-head". Percussion, more like from what one gets from dynamic IEMs sounded quite flat. I had trouble getting them to stay in my ears without the headband.

 

Being that there are a couple of new and very very good IEMs coming out soon, so I'm starting to feel more that you have to specifically want the Stax and its presentation and lack of isolation if considering them over other IEMs, as a number of models have managed to overcome some of the major issues IEMs have.

 

 

1000

post #71 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Had a listen to the new portable Stax yesterday using my DX100 as a source. Roughly speaking, it sounds like a pair of 009s in an IEM whereas the older portable gave me the impression of a pair of 007s in an IEM. Soundstage was narrow and "in-your-head". Percussion, more like from what one gets from dynamic IEMs sounded quite flat. I had trouble getting them to stay in my ears without the headband.

 

Being that there are a couple of new and very very good IEMs coming out soon, so I'm starting to feel more that you have to specifically want the Stax and its presentation and lack of isolation if considering them over other IEMs, as a number of models have managed to overcome some of the major issues IEMs have.

 

 

 

Pic (Click to show)

1000

 

Do you have a IEM favored over these?

post #72 of 442
I had a brief listen to the sr002/srm002 combo yesterday and I liked what I heard a lot!

Granted, I had never listened to baby staxes before so it was mostly a shock of how much stat goodness one can get get for that price. However, I was concerned about these reports about the thin diaphragm / sounding like an omega 2mk2. What I found is that with a proper seal, the bass is just marvelous (more like an omega 2mk1 than mk2 and actually possibly tighter than what I get from my stax amp with the omega 2 mk1. The other nice surprise is that, upon short listen at least, the sound was quite dynamic (reminiscent of the sz3) and fun (foot tapping), while at the same time not tipped up in the highs (e.g closer to an o2mk1 than than my o2mk2 or 009 in that regard). Note that this was using the headphone out from my iphone so maybe one would get bit different impression from a better protable rig.

Overall, I'd say it was shocking good for the price (there are iems priced 3x as much as the combo at the show and I doubt the best multi way ba + crossovers can beat the transparency of a full range, open back, stat driver. I could easily imagine having a rig like that when I am out of town or at least to go around other zillion rigs at fujiya's headphone festivals and sample sources smily_headphones1.gif.

Only minus is that the ear plugs are probably too big for my tiny ears even though the design is smaller than the previous generation so earpiece would fall after a while without applying pressure or using the metal headband. I only tried the middle size tips, there are also S and L sizes single flange rubber tips in the box. I can't imagine what this could turn out to be with custom silicone molds! It would not be small but again the multi way BA iems are getting pretty large too smily_headphones1.gif.
post #73 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

I had a brief listen to the sr002/srm002 combo yesterday and I liked what I heard a lot!
Granted, I had never listened to baby staxes before so it was mostly a shock of how much stat goodness one can get get for that price. However, I was concerned about these reports about the thin diaphragm / sounding like an omega 2mk2. What I found is that with a proper seal, the bass is just marvelous (more like an omega 2mk1 than mk2 and actually possibly tighter than what I get from my stax amp with the omega 2 mk1. The other nice surprise is that, upon short listen at least, the sound was quite dynamic (reminiscent of the sz3) and fun (foot tapping), while at the same time not tipped up in the highs (e.g closer to an o2mk1 than than my o2mk2 or 009 in that regard). Note that this was using the headphone out from my iphone so maybe one would get bit different impression from a better protable rig.
Overall, I'd say it was shocking good for the price (there are iems priced 3x as much as the combo at the show and I doubt the best multi way ba + crossovers can beat the transparency of a full range, open back, stat driver. I could easily imagine having a rig like that when I am out of town or at least to go around other zillion rigs at fujiya's headphone festivals and sample sources smily_headphones1.gif.
Only minus is that the ear plugs are probably too big for my tiny ears even though the design is smaller than the previous generation so earpiece would fall after a while without applying pressure or using the metal headband. I only tried the middle size tips, there are also S and L sizes single flange rubber tips in the box. I can't imagine what this could turn out to be with custom silicone molds! It would not be small but again the multi way BA iems are getting pretty large too smily_headphones1.gif.

 From my experience the custom earmolds with the SR-003 cured the problems with the fit.  They also made a difference in the bass where a number of reports have said the SR-003 are lacking.  The customs did not make them have "slam" but I swear I can hear more of the bottom end.  Quite satisfactory.   The ear molds from Starkey were expensive but the transformation from something that was uncomfortable to something comfortable and sounding coherent was well worth the price.  I would have to listen for a long time to honestly give an opinion between the SR-003 with custom molds and the SR-007-II and the SR-009.  I will tell you that the sound signature of the SR-003 with custom ear molds is similar to the SR-404 signature without the extra bit of heat on the top end.  While the iPhone is a terrific unit with the HRT streamer and jRiver software the sound is even better.  Also, I dont need to use the headband.

 

Please note that I am using the older SR-003 and SRD-P or SRD-X amp.

post #74 of 442

Thanks for the tip about the tips haha! I was looking for your post actually (it might have been someone else who did the original mod with custom molds, a few months or years back, don't remember). Anyhow, so the idea is to find a company like Starkey to order custom molds from and have impressions dones through regular audiologist? These are silicon tips? Looks like it's sticking out nicely, I have a feeling I could be mistaken for a star trek character, but well, I can imagine what a well sealed pair would sound like so it is tempting ;)

post #75 of 442

I just want to add that when I first got my SRM-001 Mk2 the amp needed several hundred hours of burn-in to open up.  A simple cable swap and using the earphones on my SRM-1 mk2 Pro desktop amp was a dramatic improvement, enough that I bought an SR-003 and was going to sell the SR-001 portable rig. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Stax: SR 002 + Srm 002 and Srm 003 mk2 + Srm 003 impression and appreciation thread