Hello everyone. New here, was looking for a new pair of headphones and was directed here so was lurking the past couple days. Anyway, I am in need of some new headphones that are portable, can be driven by an iphone 3gs, ipad 3, as well as used on my pc for gaming. I mostly listen to classic rock, some metal, and a little bit of everything else, minus rap/hip hop. Having phones that are good with all genres is a plus. I do intend to bring them out and use them in public (school, etc) so isolation in the form of not letting sound out is important, I don't care about letting outside sound in. Lastly, I hope to keep them under $200, closer to around 150 or so used. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Related Forum Threads
- help buying headphones (mp3+gaming) Last post on 9/25/12 at 2:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-V6, should I buy it off amazon ? Last post on 10/9/11 at 7:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Casual music lover looking for new headphones for 50-70 USD Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-V6 Last post on 8/7/12 at 10:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MDR-V6's beaten & blown out, buy a new pair v. AKG518 v. XB700 v. HD280 v. whatever you... Last post on 9/24/11 at 9:42am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
Best portable headphones for music and gaming?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 310/14/12 at 10:22pm
Sony MDR-V6, $65
Also get the Beyerdynamic EDT200/250 V Velour ear pads ($23), makes the MDR-V6 very comfortable.
If you do not have a sound card in your PC, get the Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.
Comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound
A refurb Creative X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) $45, is a good gaming card.
CMSS-3D headphone surround sound, but not headphone amp.post #3 of 310/14/12 at 10:44pmQuote:
I totally agree with that.
- Best portable headphones for music and gaming?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Mini review: Westone UM2 vs Westone 2 35 seconds ago
- › I need help, The Sennheiser 558's or the 598's 1 minute ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 2 minutes ago
- › car-fi 3 minutes ago
- › Rooth LS8 CIEMs (interest check, willing buyer?) 4 minutes ago
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 4 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Pro 900 Fantastic Shape Everything Included 4 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews 5 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] JVC FXZ-100: Fun-O-Phile 5 minutes ago
- › NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe