Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Portable Headphones for under 300?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Portable Headphones for under 300?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hey guys I'm new to this site and have little experience in quality headphones but am wanting to change that. I listen to a broad range of music but I'd say the majority of what I listen to is alternative. My favorite band is Radiohead followed by Muse. I'm looking for headphones that I can wear around. Durability and looks are nice, but what I'm really focused on is sound quality. I want balance and power to back it up. I plan on listening to my iPod a lot. (The music is already 320 Kbps, I'm not completely clueless). I was looking at the k701's earlier because they looked like a steal on amazon, but I wasn't sure if they fit my needs. I also looked at the Seinhesser 598's but again I'm no expert on this stuff and need a better opinion. I'm willing to buy an amp if necessary. Hopefully one under that's $100. Don't factor that into the headphone price though. Headphones $300 or less; amp $100 or less. Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 21

the k701 and the hd598 are open, you said you are going to use it with your ipod, so that means you are going to listen to your music in public right? open cans are probably not the best choices since they tend to leak sound and dont isolate noise that well. the headphone choice, someone else can probably suggest something good, and about the amp, maybe take a look at those fiio amps? and about the 320kbps, i assume its mp3 files, if you have the CDs, delete those files, and rip from your CDs again. mp3 files are still lossy, you want to set the encoder to "Apple Lossless" so its a lossless rip from your CD. if you buy from itunes or downloaded the files from somewhere else, dont bother upconverting because it wont help with the quality. good luck and welcome to headfi!!!

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help! I have some on CD's, but not all of them. Is there anyway to get high quality from downloads or does everything need to be from CD's to insure top quality?
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtyndall View Post

Thanks for the help! I have some on CD's, but not all of them. Is there anyway to get high quality from downloads or does everything need to be from CD's to insure top quality?

There are sites/venodrs that specialize in high quality downloads.

post #5 of 21

ideally, if you download from flac and convert it to apple lossless, it will be lossless converting to lossless, so no information should be lost. so as long as its 16 bit 44.1 kHz then it should be CD quality (320kbps is the highest quality of mp3 and after that its lossless and in lossless you dont have to worry about the kbps, just bit and kHz). however, some guys dont know what they are doing and convert mp3 files to flac and upload them, that will not help the quality. so you cant be sure that someone didnt do that unless you are the one who ripped the files yourself, got it? wink.gif

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

There are sites/venodrs that specialize in high quality downloads.

 

 

yes, like hdtracks but i say dont worry about them because op is using ipod and ipod doesnt support higher quality than CD.

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtyndall View Post

Hey guys I'm new to this site and have little experience in quality headphones but am wanting to change that. I listen to a broad range of music but I'd say the majority of what I listen to is alternative. My favorite band is Radiohead followed by Muse. I'm looking for headphones that I can wear around. Durability and looks are nice, but what I'm really focused on is sound quality. I want balance and power to back it up. I plan on listening to my iPod a lot. (The music is already 320 Kbps, I'm not completely clueless). I was looking at the k701's earlier because they looked like a steal on amazon, but I wasn't sure if they fit my needs. I also looked at the Seinhesser 598's but again I'm no expert on this stuff and need a better opinion. I'm willing to buy an amp if necessary. Hopefully one under that's $100. Don't factor that into the headphone price though. Headphones $300 or less; amp $100 or less. Thanks in advance!

For best sound: Shure SRH 940 plus this amp currently on sale foe half price:

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-airhead.php

 

For max portability without an amp: Beyer DT 1350 (slightly bassy wiht excellent kit) or Shure HD 25-1 II (more neutral).

post #8 of 21

hey kg jag, will that airhead amp better my fiio e17? not that im going to get it but just asking to throw out another option for the op though i dont know if you can find a e17 for under 100 bucks

post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

For best sound: Shure SRH 940 plus this amp currently on sale foe half price:

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-airhead.php

 

For max portability without an amp: Beyer DT 1350 (slightly bassy wiht excellent kit) or Shure HD 25-1 II (more neutral).

 

 

hd25? you meant sennheiser right?

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

hey kg jag, will that airhead amp better my fiio e17? not that im going to get it but just asking to throw out another option for the op though i dont know if you can find a e17 for under 100 bucks

Not an expert on portable amps (I know desktops a bit better), but the Airhead will power almost any dynamic can; was designed by Tyll--who is know the voice of InnerFidelity--for quality sound; in made in the USA; and not subject to knock offs.  At $49 I don't think anything touches it.  However, if you have an e17, it may work just fine.

 

Yes the HD 25-1 II is a Senn.

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post

Not an expert on portable amps (I know desktops a bit better), but the Airhead will power almost any dynamic can; was designed by Tyll--who is know the voice of InnerFidelity--for quality sound; in made in the USA; and not subject to knock offs.  At $49 I don't think anything touches it.  However, if you have an e17, it may work just fine.

 

Yes the HD 25-1 II is a Senn.

 

 

cool, i saw the airhead uses AAA batteries? that will be a disadvantage as i think rechargeable batteries are way more convenient and popular too.

post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys this is really helpful! I'm checking out the 940's and they sound a lot like what I'm looking for, but keep the suggestions coming. Also, what audio format would you guys recommend since mp3 sounds like it takes away from the music.
post #13 of 21

What about the Phiaton MS400 or MS300. Phiaton headphones got pretty good reviews specially their build quality(real carbon fibre)

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtyndall View Post

Thanks guys this is really helpful! I'm checking out the 940's and they sound a lot like what I'm looking for, but keep the suggestions coming. Also, what audio format would you guys recommend since mp3 sounds like it takes away from the music.

 

 

i told you already, apple lossless...

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

 

cool, i saw the airhead uses AAA batteries? that will be a disadvantage as i think rechargeable batteries are way more convenient and popular too.

That's true.  Although they seem to have a long life, I can see how that might not be optimal for many.  For me and how/when/how often I use a portable amp, it works out just fine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Portable Headphones for under 300?