New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8... - Page 13

post #181 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post

 

8.1 give you start button, which boot you straight up to, guess what, Metro.

 

I'm avoiding Metro as much as I can but sometimes I have to go inside it to do something that MS in its infinite wisdom put it there. Playing cat and mouse is not something I expect to do on a new OS, you can keep it.

 

Oh and keep up the haters gonna hate mantra, you're doing good to its sale.

Yeah, viva Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

 

Now more seriously, in February I downloaded the Windows 8 Upgrade (from Windows 7) for $15.

(I had bought my Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite in November 2012 and therefore I paid for the Upgrade only $15.)

In turn  Toshiba - and  Dell and HP as well - were offering $15-rebates for the Upgrade for buyers of new computers.

I got my $15 from Toshiba in the form of a prepaid Visa Card.

So my Upgrade to Windows 8 (from Windows 7) is free.

 

 

I want to try two things:

 

1. Using my recovery discs - which I made myself - I want to restore my Toshiba Satellite Windows 7 to the original state as it was shipped to me in late Novemebr 2012.

My Toshiba Satellite came with  the the Norton software (30-day trial) pre-installed.

In January I did un-install Norton  and threw it tongue_smile.gif away.

(I'll will safe all my music files, etc. on a portable 500 GB HD and also - to be on a safe side - on my  USB flash drives.)

 

2. After a couple of weeks I want to finally clean-install the Windows 8 Upgrade.

 

I've got a question regarding my Kaspersky 2013 Internet Security software installed

which is also compatible with Windows 8.

I've got the license for using Kaspersky software until January 2014.

What will happen? Will the Kaspersky Labs detect that I will have reinstalled Windows 7

and prompt me for downloading Kaspersky 2013 again?

How about the Windows 8 Upgrade?

Should I save my Kaspersky 2013 software on my portable 500 GB HD along with my music files, etc. and then reinstall it?

 

 

 

I would appreciate your suggestions and/or any links.

 

Thanx for reading.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 7/2/13 at 7:11pm
post #182 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

Yeah, viva Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

 

Now more seriously, in February I downloaded the Windows 8 Upgrade (from Windows 7) for $15.

(I had bought my Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite in November 2012 and therefore I paid for the Upgrade only $15.)

In turn  Toshiba - and  Dell and HP as well - were offering $15-rebates for the Upgrade for buyers of new computers.

I got my $15 from Toshiba in the form of a prepaid Visa Card.

So my Upgrade to Windows 8 (from Windows 7) is free.

 

 

I want to try two things:

 

1. Using my recovery discs - which I made myself - I want to restore my Toshiba Satellite Windows 7 to the original state as it was shipped to me in late Novemebr 2012.

My Toshiba Satellite came with  the the Norton software (30-day trial) pre-installed.

In January I did un-install Norton  and threw it tongue_smile.gif away.

(I'll will safe all my music files, etc. on a portable 500 GB HD and also - to be on a safe side - on my  USB flash drives.)

 

2. After a couple of weeks I want to finally clean-install the Windows 8 Upgrade.

 

I've got a question regarding my Kaspersky 2013 Internet Security software installed

which is also compatible with Windows 8.

I've got the license for using Kaspersky software until January 2014.

What will happen? Will the Kaspersky Labs detect that I will have reinstalled Windows 7

and prompt me for downloading Kaspersky 2013 again?

How about the Windows 8 Upgrade?

Should I save my Kaspersky 2013 software on my portable 500 GB HD along with my music files, etc. and then reinstall it?

 

 

 

I would appreciate your suggestions and/or any links.

 

Thanx for reading.

If you have a license for a software, you should be able to download it as you wish. Some software developers have certain restrains regarding installing it on different computers or even different times on different systems. You should probably ask them about their certain software. However, I'd wager that you only download it and install it just like you did earlier. I can't imagine them having some of those more rare types of software licensing. My experience with those kinds of licensing models is that they're usually bound to much, much more expensive software that's targetted at a very, very small demographic, like tools for system dynamics modeling, statistics and so on. Kaspersky anti-malware, nah, probably not.

 

In your shoes, I'd just go ahead and download the install.exe from Kaspersky and put it on a USB stick before installing Win 8 and then reinstall it when Windows 8 is installed.

post #183 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post

If you have a license for a software, you should be able to download it as you wish. Some software developers have certain restrains regarding installing it on different computers or even different times on different systems. You should probably ask them about their certain software. However, I'd wager that you only download it and install it just like you did earlier. I can't imagine them having some of those more rare types of software licensing. My experience with those kinds of licensing models is that they're usually bound to much, much more expensive software that's targetted at a very, very small demographic, like tools for system dynamics modeling, statistics and so on. Kaspersky anti-malware, nah, probably not.

 

In your shoes, I'd just go ahead and download the install.exe from Kaspersky and put it on a USB stick before installing Win 8 and then reinstall it when Windows 8 is installed.

Thanx a lot. I am very happy with my Kaspersky for one computer and one user.

It has already intercepted and destroyed 3 Trojan horses!

 

I've got to try the  Windows 8 Upgrade which  is free (for me).

I'll save the install.exe from Kaspersky on a USB flash drive.

 

Thanx.

 

 

P.S.

 

Just in case, I'll contact the Kaspersky Lab.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 7/3/13 at 3:59pm
post #184 of 197

Yeah my company is staying away from Windows 8 and I'm personally staying away from it as well.  As someone who appreciates design, I don't want to use an OS with competing, disjointed design experiences in the same environment.  I'm slowly transitioning to Linux/OSX.

post #185 of 197

I think what windows 8 and 8.1 (and XBox One) demonstrate is that Microsoft have their heads so far up their own rear ends that they can neither see the glaring deficiencies of their own creations, and at the same time completely/partially ignore feedback from customers until it is too late.

post #186 of 197

Apropos 'Supports Windows 8 File History'

 

 

I'm about to get my first portable  HD drive (500 GB) which is compatible  both

with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Since I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop - which came with Windows 7 preinstalled -

I'd like to stick to a Toshiba portable HD. Am I right? tongue_smile.gif

 

Now, here's my dilemma. In the Office Depot store I've seen something like this:

 

 

Quote:

... Supports Windows 8 File History beerchug.gif....

 

I don't think that it was about  an external (portable)  Toshiba HD. It could have been the WD brand, etc.

 

I think that this is a very useful feature because one does not need to remember which files have been changed since the last backup.

The portable HD drive's software remembers it and automatically copies  a modified file or a folder to the portable drive. Dream comes true!

 

Does compatible with Windows 8 mean that an external HD drive's software supports Windows 8 File History  feature?

Or does it only mean that files created and stored - under Windows 8 - on the internal HD are readable by an external  HD?

 

Any comments and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

P.S.

File History is a Continuous data protection component similar to OS X's Time Machine. It deprecates the Previous Versions and Backup and Restore features on Windows 8.[20] File History automatically creates incremental backups of files stored in Libraries and user-specified folders to an external storage device (such as a secondary hard drive, Storage Space, or network share). Users can then track and restore specific revisions of files using the "History" functions in File Explorer. Unlike Shadow Copy, which performs block level tracking of files, File History utilizes the USN Journal to track changes, and simply copies new versions of files to the backup location.[21] Unlike Backup and Restore, it cannot back up files encrypted with EFS.

 

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8#File_History

 

************************************

Shadow Copy (also known as Volume Snapshot Service,[1]Volume Shadow Copy Service[2] or VSS[2]), is a technology included in Microsoft Windows that allows taking manual or automatic backup copies or snapshots of data, even if it has a lock, on a specific volume at a specific point in time over regular intervals. It is implemented as a Windows service called the Volume Shadow Copy service. A software VSS provider service is also included as part of Windows to be used by Windows applications. Shadow Copy technology requires the file system to be NTFS to be able to create and store shadow copies. Shadow Copies can be created on local and external (removable or network) volumes by any Windows component that uses this technology, such as when creating a scheduled Windows Backup or automatic System Restore point.

 

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

 


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 7/10/13 at 9:56am
post #187 of 197

popcorn.gif

post #188 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

popcorn.gif

Yeah.

 

 

 

This is a continuation of my last post #186.

 

Here's the relevant text posted in the Office Depot in the external (portable) hard drive section:

 

WD

Now that you have Windows 8, backing up is as easy as 1-2-3.

...

Backing up with a WD [external] hard drive is easier than ever.

With the File History L3000.gif feature in Windows 8,

you can automatically save an extra copy of your photos,

files, favorites and contacts folders to the drive of your choice.

Backup on the go.

MY PASSPORT Portable Hard Drive

 

On the box:

 

Quote:

MY PASSPORT  portable hard drive

500 GB, PC compatible, USB 3.0/2.0

...

Auto backup

Hardware encryption

...

Compatibility

Formatted NTFS for Windows 7, ..., Vista, ..., XP.

...

- Automatic backup software automatically creates a second copy whenever you save or add a file.

If you ever lose an important file, find and retrieve it in seconds.

..

 

(There no mention of Windows 8 on the above box.)

 

********************************************************************************

 

On newer boxes there's a  Windows 8 logo and next to it the following is printed:

easier backup with Windows 8!

However there's no changes in terms of the compatibility,

namely only Windows 7, Vista and XP are listed:

 

Compatibility

Formatted NTFS for Windows 7, ..., Vista, ..., XP.

 

 

NO deadhorse.gifmention of Windows 8 at all.

post #189 of 197
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, temporarily back in just to drop in. I kinda just left Head-Fi after selling my headphones to get out of debt and then moving my stereo into my main living space, removing the need for headphones. Now my money can go to actual music! It's been fun, no animosity, but I need to get away from the constant saving and cash dropping on gear.

 

On Windows 8, 8.1 would give you a Start button that you can right click for a few more thigns that were harder to find earlier such as Power On/Off etc. It also allows you to set it to boot straight to Desktop as far as I know.

 

Honestly, I was gonna switch back to Win7 but I figured I can't stay on it forever, Microsoft already is pissing me off on principle on their business practices. I'd rather stay with the latest version anyway than sit on and old legacy version. What finally kicked me off was the whole thing with the way upgrades work. They give you a tiny little notification that you have updates to install and reboot in the bottom roght of the login screen, and then if you don't reboot, eventually (like a few days I think) you just get a blue screen coming down with a 15min countdown timer until a forced reboot, no choice to postpone. After that I just abandoned Windows.

 

I'm now a totally open source Linux guy, and I love it. Except Linux (Debian at least) doesn't do well with external/USB DACs, it's difficult. Oh well, CDs are so cheap, I'd rather just burn what I don't have on CD to a cheap like $0.12 (at $12 for 100) CD-R and put it in my stereo than futz around with the USB drivers etc.

 

It's been fun guys, keep it up! I might have to come back to visit the picture threads again soon! biggrin.gif

post #190 of 197

Eager to try 8.1 - switched back to 7 after I found that having metro shoved down my throat was annoying.

 

Especially looking forward to this (sadly):

 

 

Quote:
On Windows 8, 8.1 would give you a Start button that you can right click for a few more thigns that were harder to find earlier such as Power On/Off etc. It also allows you to set it to boot straight to Desktop as far as I know.
post #191 of 197
Microsoft have a free update of preview 8.1 for windows 8 users. However, I'm not sure if it still available right now.
post #192 of 197

tbh 8 is good so long as you add in a start button launcher.  for me what killed in stack 8 is that i couldnt find the damn file system to access other drives.

post #193 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekriots View Post

Eager to try 8.1 - switched back to 7 after I found that having metro shoved down my throat was annoying.

 

Especially looking forward to this (sadly):

 

 

Me too, I think it's about time for another clean install, hopefully they manage to create a more cohesive UI that requires less clicks for basic tasks...

post #194 of 197

Click the Widows flag---thinking---good its back!--and? it takes you back to the Metro UI. Small changes to the start screen--4 sizes of tiles -and so on.As hard as you may try to convince yourself that 8.1 is now like WIN 7 --its not still the same old rigid. unwieldy    OS that puts you off. Microsoft about to change??--listen to PC owners ? -Not this Century --Stubborn -fixed attitude- Accept it as THIS is the future--My future???--WIN 7 till no more security downloads and even then if you have a good defense system still wont "upgrade"- to it  Death Wish 2013.[Win 8]   

post #195 of 197

If MS has real competitor on this side of business they will do the 180° faster than you could spell "eight" as evidenced by X1 cluster****.

 

Unfortunately they seem to be in misguided mindset that think that their desktop OS compete with exclusively smartphone/tablet OS.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home