Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Double Review] Etymotic HF3 & Sony XBA-3, with appearances from the Vsonic GR07 MKII
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Double Review] Etymotic HF3 & Sony XBA-3, with appearances from the Vsonic GR07 MKII - Page 7

post #91 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Haven't heard the 4, sorry.

No problem. Thank you for your replies!

post #92 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 
It's the problem I have with TF10 against GR07. Balanced armature produces speed - speed contributes to separation, separation contributes to accuracy. But! timbre is messed up on TF10 which makes me put them down unless genre suits. My search continues for GR07 naturalness with speed and separation of TF10. Big boots to fill meeting GR07 tonality wise, whether HF5 have the same bite in vocals / acoustics is the main killer.
We will see, I may try them this week.
 

 

What would you recommend for a BA coming from a GR07 owner? That is pretty much what I want next - GR07 with BA characteristics.

post #93 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

 

What would you recommend for a BA coming from a GR07 owner? That is pretty much what I want next - GR07 with BA characteristics.

 

Are you looking for a direct upgrade? If so, I'm not sure there's anything on the market right now.

 

The best I could think of would maybe be the upcoming V7007 or ASG-2

post #94 of 106

No it can be a sidegrade too lol. I must admit, besides more treble kick which is probably in the MKII, the GR07 is perfect for me.

 

What I have jotted down is the R-50, GR01, XBA-3, and BA200 (might not be the sound I'm after). Are they sticking with the $300 tag on the GR08? Quite expensive


Edited by jarrett - 2/16/13 at 12:11pm
post #95 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

No it can be a sidegrade too lol. I must admit, besides more treble kick which is probably in the MKII, the GR07 is perfect for me.

 

What I have jotted down is the R-50, GR01, XBA-3, and BA200 (might not be the sound I'm after). Are they sticking with the $300 tag on the GR08? Quite expensive

 

Yes, the MKII definitely has a bit more sparkle. I'm not totally sure I like it though.

 

Th XBA-3 won't satisfy you. Of the ones I've heard, I think you may like the JVC FX700. It has fantastic treble, without sacrificing  the low end. The mid are pretty decent too. IMO it's the perfect compliment to the GR07 when you need a little excitement in your life...

 

 

 

Quote:
GR07: Way more polite than the FX700. I'd say the timbre is on par with the FX700, without that treble tilt, so it sounds more natural (to me at leas). Detailing is less aggressive, and the overall signature is more laidback, allowing me to listen for hours without a hint of fatigue. Dynamics on the GR07 are good, but not on the same level of the monster that is the FX700. So on about 10-15% of my library, I found myself longing for the edginess of the FX700. Keep in mind that the remaining 85-90% of my library was done better to my ears by the GR07. One of the things I love about this iem is that it lets me hear my music as it is. It's ever so slightly warm, without really coloring the music. That is not something I can say about the FX700. Not to say that the GR07 is boring; it's what I call a "lady in the street, but a freak in the bed." It's not a stripper with tattoos all over her body, but a girl with a little butterfly on her pelvis where you alone can see it. What my strange analogy implies is that the Gr07 is not an "always on" iem. It has no midbass hump, yet it can rumble your socks off it it needs to. It's still my favorite iem.

 

 

 

Quote:
FX700: I can see why some regard it as the best dynamic universal. Timbre is great, detail is ridiculous, and it has this extremely lively, edgy sound that can be addictive on the right songs. The treble extends to the feet of Zeus, and the bass reaches down to the depth of the river Styx. Sorry, I love Greek mythology. I wouldn't consider the midrange recessed, it's just not that forward. It's there and it's detailed, but you can tell the bass and the treble are the stars of the show. There's a whole lot of bass, but it's so rich and textured that it's never really a problem. The overall sound is just so open, and the imaging is addictive. I feel like I'm listening to a headphone moreso than an iem, a really engaging headphone. The only (personal) con that I have with with it is that there is just so much treble on some songs. I feel like the overall sound is tilted towards the upper regions, with lots of bass to prevent the sound from becoming cold or overly clinical. When I listen to instruments like drums and cymbals, I can hear the treble boost in the overly lively snap of the snare, or the slight splashiness of the cymbals. I also feel like the treble tilt improves the apparent detail presented. Going back and forth with the GR07 on Mumford and Sons' "Little Lion Man," the FX700 presents about 5% more detail in the opening guitar sequence. Would I keep them for my daily use? No. They're a bit too aggressive, even at less than 1/2 of my iphone's volume and the mids are a bit dry for my taste. Otherwise, they're an EDM lover's dream come true, and the ultimate incarnation of the V-/U-shaped signature.
post #96 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

No it can be a sidegrade too lol. I must admit, besides more treble kick which is probably in the MKII, the GR07 is perfect for me.

 

What I have jotted down is the R-50, GR01, XBA-3, and BA200 (might not be the sound I'm after). Are they sticking with the $300 tag on the GR08? Quite expensive

 

The pfe232 would probably work. It would have more treble and slightly more bass. Ridiculously expensive though. I'd wait for the ASG-2. Hopefully it'll be available within the month.

post #97 of 106

I have to decide between gr07 and xba-3.

Usually I listen to classical music and soft rock. Which of these is a better choice?

post #98 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzatHead-Fier View Post

I have to decide between gr07 and xba-3.

Usually I listen to classical music and soft rock. Which of these is a better choice?

 

It's really hard to say. Try reading up on the XBA-30

post #99 of 106
I've had TF10s with Arete cables for awhile now, but cable problems(waiting on their reviewed Arete mkII) has opened up a chance for me to get a new pair of IEMs.

I love them but the recessed mids to bother me. I listen to a lot of heavy vocal musics, rock and along with several bass heavy genres like DnB. Of the 3 IEMs here,or their newer models: GR07 MKII, XBA-30 and HF3 which would you prefer for good(not overwhelming) lows with sparkly mids/highs?
post #100 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I've had TF10s with Arete cables for awhile now, but cable problems(waiting on their reviewed Arete mkII) has opened up a chance for me to get a new pair of IEMs.

I love them but the recessed mids to bother me. I listen to a lot of heavy vocal musics, rock and along with several bass heavy genres like DnB. Of the 3 IEMs here,or their newer models: GR07 MKII, XBA-30 and HF3 which would you prefer for good(not overwhelming) lows with sparkly mids/highs?

 

I think you'd love the GR07 for those genres. The GR07 has the best drum presentation you'll hear, and it'll floor you for DnB

post #101 of 106

Awesome. I'm definitely leaning towards the GR07 BEs, but someone suggested the Philips Fidelio S2, which not only sound amazing, but also look really well built.

 

Dammit, why does everything look so good when you're trying to go shopping!

post #102 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

Awesome. I'm definitely leaning towards the GR07 BEs, but someone suggested the Philips Fidelio S2, which not only sound amazing, but also look really well built.

 

Dammit, why does everything look so good when you're trying to go shopping!

 

I'd personally not recommend the BE, as it might have just more bass than you're bargaining for. 

post #103 of 106

Would you say they having more Bass then even my TF10s? Because I find them to be fine. Not too overwhelming but powerful when I need them to be in certain tracks.

post #104 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

Would you say they having more Bass then even my TF10s? Because I find them to be fine. Not too overwhelming but powerful when I need them to be in certain tracks.

 

It's been a while since I've had the TF10, but yes I think they are bassier.

post #105 of 106

That answers most of my problems. Just bought a pair of Fidelio S2 from Amazon Japan, but those Mk2s are definitely tempting. If the S2 aren't to my liking then i will consider getting the Mk2 too. But right now, I'll cross my fingers and hope they are what I hope them to be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Double Review] Etymotic HF3 & Sony XBA-3, with appearances from the Vsonic GR07 MKII