Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread - Page 23

post #331 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandDigital View Post
 

 

Yeah, it's questionable if the parts are higher quality or not other than maybe potentiometer since even Bryston doesn't use the discrete resistors Kingwa likes to use.  And it's also questionable if those "higher" grade parts would provide better sound which is why I was asking.  I know there have been complaints about the previous NFB-11/12 for the amp.  

 

I have the NFB-12 I believe, dual WM8741 and I use the 8x minimal phase, 24/48 with all my music, movies and games.  I have a DIY modded Tripath chip amp, converted to power amp, the NFB has been great functioning as a pre-amp.  So that's where I am right now.

 

I'm looking to create a second system with possibly a Compass/NFB-11 (Sabre), a better Tripath Amp.  Also considering getting the Oppo PM-2 when it's released, so looking for a Amp/DAC worthy of it without upsetting the significant other :/

Well, I needed the RCA input so had to go for the C2 [or NFB28].

The C2 does sound better every day though :}

post #332 of 343

conquerator2 - thanks for the insights on the AKG's - very much appreciated. Basically buy the headphones first, then check out if the other boards are required or not. I guess that's the beauty of the Compass: it's totally configurable.

 

I seriously doubt I'll be buying another amp/dac combo ever again, or at least for the foreseeable future. All I want now is better headphones.. and that'll be me totally happy :)  The K712's are where I'm heading I think.

 

One satisfied customer.

post #333 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

conquerator2 - thanks for the insights on the AKG's - very much appreciated. Basically buy the headphones first, then check out if the other boards are required or not. I guess that's the beauty of the Compass: it's totally configurable.

 

I seriously doubt I'll be buying another amp/dac combo ever again, or at least for the foreseeable future. All I want now is better headphones.. and that'll be me totally happy :)  The K712's are where I'm heading I think.

 

One satisfied customer.

 

Bought the K712 today, contemplating upgrading the dual WM8741 NFB-11 to Compass.  Haven't decided yet.  Wish the Compass didn't use an OpAmp and direct like the NFB-28.  Bummer.

post #334 of 343

There is no WM8741 NFB-11, you probably meant NFB-12 or 15

And the opamp of Compass 2 is relevant only when not using the Compass 2 dac section, which is not the common way to operate the unit

post #335 of 343
Yeah the op amp in the section sucks but I seriously doubt anyone could tell a difference with or without it. It's a neutral op amp like the rest of the unit.
The NFB28 main advantage is the balanced increase of power and a possibility to bump the RCA input by 6db.
The op amp is a minor thing IMO...

Still, I might upgrade from the C2 to the NFB28 if I am not happy and should money allow...
post #336 of 343

Very transparent... Enough said. Every track and album sounds so bloody different it drives me crazy sometimes -_-


Edited by conquerator2 - 7/9/14 at 1:51pm
post #337 of 343
How is the Sabre 9018 version with HD800 as DAC/amp?
post #338 of 343

Received mine today. Paired with HD650s playing CD Rips and some tracks from Spotify Premium (320kbps ogg vorbis).

 

I only got to play it for about an hour before work and it sounds very detailed especially noticeable in the wash of cymbals and in the bass. HD650 mids are always good and they just sound better with this. The build quality is of a reasonable standard.

 

I got mine with the 9018 chip and upgraded TCXOs.

 

I'll post more impressions after I get home and use it again for a few hours.

 

Was recommended to look at the NFB-11 in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/727202/upgrade-my-hd650-setup

 

but decided to go with the compass 2.

post #339 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMase View Post

Received mine today. Paired with HD650s playing CD Rips and some tracks from Spotify Premium (320kbps ogg vorbis).

I only got to play it for about an hour before work and it sounds very detailed especially noticeable in the wash of cymbals and in the bass. HD650 mids are always good and they just sound better with this. The build quality is of a reasonable standard.

I got mine with the 9018 chip and upgraded TCXOs.

I'll post more impressions after I get home and use it again for a few hours.

Was recommended to look at the NFB-11 in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/727202/upgrade-my-hd650-setup

but decided to go with the compass 2.

Good choice.
Compass2 is great. Solid DAC and amp.
post #340 of 343

After a good few hours use and listening I have one word to say about this product: amazing.

post #341 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMase View Post

After a good few hours use and listening I have one word to say about this product: amazing.
Could you elaborate please?
How is the DAC section, and how is the amp section?
Thanks!
post #342 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post


Could you elaborate please?
How is the DAC section, and how is the amp section?
Thanks!

I've never really done reviews of audio products but I'll try.

 

Build:

I personally don't like the silver buttons/dials with black brushed metal as I think it looks bad but that's personal opinion. The quality of the buttons/dials however is very good. The volume knob is very good it has just enough friction, however I do prefer the volume knob on my NAD C316BEE which is a relatively cheap stereo integrated amplifier. I've never had a headphone jack like the one on the Compass but it's very good you can't pull your headphones out unless you push the red tab in. I like that. 

6/10 (I feel as though I'm being harsh here but I can't bring myself to give more)

 

Sound:

Well in a nutshell it's just more detailed to what I'm used to (Music Fidelity V-DAC into my speaker amplifier NAD C316BEE then headphone out of that).

 

The sabre chip is meant to be precise and analytic. In that case with the HD650s it takes nothing way from their charm. The mids are as good as ever with the HD650 but what it does do is give more detail in the low frequencies and especially in the highs, more so than the lows. Things like the wash of cymbals are just so much more shimmery, not in a harsh way, in a perfect way dare I say it. I feel as though it takes nothing away from the HD650 it only improves it.

 

In terms of power, it has plenty. On High Gain I can go up to about 12 o clock and that's almost unbearable for me. 

9/10

 

 

Just an extra thing. The delivery time was insane. I ordered on Friday evening (UK) which is saturday morning in China, they said 2 working days lead time then they dispatch. I get an email on Tuesday evening in the UK saying it's dispatched it arrived on Thursday morning. Turn around time is insane.

Anything else I can help you with just ask.


Edited by WillMase - 7/25/14 at 9:21am
post #343 of 343

Thanks :gs1000smile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread