Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread - Page 15

post #211 of 434
There is no ordering form.
You send them an email and ask them to propose for the gear you want.
They usually reply within 24 hours at most.
post #212 of 434
Upgrade TCXO:
 
Compass 9018 : There are two TCXO can for upgrade, one is the 12MHz for the USB interface, another is 80MHz for the ES9018 . Cost is USD20 / per without shipping delay .
 
Compass 8741 and Compass 384 : Upgrade the 12MHz for the USB interface clock. Cost is USD20 / per without shipping delay .

How does this work? Is there three, two, or how many variations of TXCO upgrades to be concerned about? What TXCO upgrade is exclusive to what chip?  What if, at a future date, I order the Wolfson module while currently using the Sabre chip - would the existing TXCO's in the unit work with it and vice versa? 

 

Many thanks - am truly confused by this.

 

One last annoying question - if I order future TXCO upgrades from Kingwa, how easy is it to fit these? My brother is a sound engineer and knows his stuff soldering wise etc - just hoping that any instructions I get from Kingwa will help in in fitting without confusion.


Edited by SaLX - 12/19/13 at 3:55pm
post #213 of 434

There are 3 versions of Compass 2, differing in the Dac chip.

In all versions you can upgrade the usb TXCO. It is the same upgrated chip for all 3 versions.

In the Sabre 9018 version you can also upgrade the TXCO of the dac chip.

To change the TXCOs, you pull out the old one and push in the new one. No tools or soldering are required.

post #214 of 434

Many thanks for the reply I0 :smile:

post #215 of 434

Having read this post makes me worried about the synergy since bass shy DAC/AMP sounds like a BIG NO NO for Q701. Anyway too late for the worries, I'll wait to try it out.

PjVLrL

post #216 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbgolive View Post

Having read this post makes me worried about the synergy since bass shy DAC/AMP sounds like a BIG NO NO for Q701. Anyway too late for the worries, I'll wait to try it out.
PjVLrL

I have had mine for about a year now and do not have any bass issues. I remember it filling out a bit after 100 hours though.
post #217 of 434

Just ordered a Compass 2 (Sabre) from a private seller in Europe .. fingers crossed. I was alternating between the 11.32 and the 15.32.... at least with the Compass I can side-grade (or down-grade) between the Sabre, Wolfson or the even the PCM5102 so to speak. How many other DAC/Amps offer this flexibility? Er none that I can think of.

 

It'll come with the DIR9001 SPDIF interface...any opinions on it?


Edited by SaLX - 12/20/13 at 10:30am
post #218 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbgolive View Post

Having read this post makes me worried about the synergy since bass shy DAC/AMP sounds like a BIG NO NO for Q701. Anyway too late for the worries, I'll wait to try it out.
PjVLrL

The compass is in no way bass shy, don't worry about that. For best bass response choose the 8741 or the 5102 dac as mentioned earlier in this thread.
To secure the best bass response in the q701, check this simple mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod
post #219 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post

Just ordered a Compass 2 (Sabre) from a private seller in Europe .. fingers crossed. I was alternating between the 11.32 and the 15.32.... at least with the Compass I can side-grade (or down-grade) between the Sabre, Wolfson or the even the PCM5102 so to speak. How many other DAC/Amps offer this flexibility? Er none that I can think of.

It'll come with the DIR9001 SPDIF interface...any opinions on it?

Congratulations on choosing the compass ;-)
As you say, given the flexibility of the compass along with all the other features, it is nothing short of a real best buy.
post #220 of 434

FYI: I found this thread on a Danish thread re: the Compass 2. http://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2862  **It's been moved / gone**.

 

Dafo > I have to assume it's you who wrote it (OP Daf :smile:!!!)  however, it's a more expansive read compared to your great previous post on this thread (a page back): You summed up your experience with all the optional DACs very well indeed. Appreciated.

 

Microsoft / Bing translate seems to work better. Thanks mate. PS.. really hope you don't mind me posting this - knowledge is power AND it's Xmas :beerchug: 


Edited by SaLX - 1/9/14 at 1:31pm
post #221 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

FYI: I found this thread on a Danish thread re: the Compass 2. http://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2862

 

Dafo > I have to assume it's you who wrote it (OP Daf :smile:!!!)  however, it's a more expansive read compared to your great previous post on this thread (a page back): You summed up your experience with all the optional DACs very well indeed. Appreciated.

 

Microsoft / Bing translate seems to work better. Thanks mate. PS.. really hope you don't mind me posting this - knowledge is power AND it's Xmas :beerchug: 

That is me and I don't mind you posting it :-)

 

A little info on the compass powering the hifiman he-5le in the spirit of "knowledge is power" ;-)

 

Some time ago bought a used RoteRB-870BX power amplifier and connected it with the compass 2. I wanted to see if the compass in any way was under-powering my delicious he-5le, just to be sure you know ;-) With all the writing about how the hifimans suddenly "come alive" with extreme power resources, I had to check it out. 

 

To make a long story short, the compass has more than ample power for the he-5le. The rotel amp put out well over 10 watts in 50 ohm, but there was no gain in audio quality, bass extension or whatever, compared to the compass, actually it was the other way around. Both amps were able to play the 5le violently loud, to levels I under no circumstances will ever listen at. The compass showed no weaknesses at all, on the contrary it sounded over all more calm, together, detailed and superior no matter the volume compared to the compass+rotel combo. Conclusion: The compass has more than enough power to drive the hifiman he-5le.

The 5-le is one of the few orthos that are considered "very hard to drive properly". The compass more than proved itself in this context. So here is another point for the versatile and competent audio-gd compass. 


Edited by Dafo - 12/27/13 at 1:10pm
post #222 of 434

Dafo/IO - 2 quick questions please (or any other C2 users):

 

  • The DIR modules exist solely to smooth out any jitter via SPDIF as opposed to direct to the Sabre chip - is this a correct assumption? What about the other chips (Wolfson and PCM1502)?

 

  • The other modules are easy to swap, but is it the same with these DIR modules ie: if I decide I want replace the DIR9001 with the WM8805 would I need to solder it or would it just slot into place?

 

Many thanks :smile: 


Edited by SaLX - 12/30/13 at 9:49pm
post #223 of 434

Anyone on this thread have an Audio GD WM8805 SPDIF module they would be willing to sell?   Send me a PM!

post #224 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post

Dafo/IO - 2 quick questions please (or any other C2 users):
  • The DIR modules exist solely to smooth out any jitter via SPDIF as opposed to direct to the Sabre chip - is this a correct assumption? What about the other chips (Wolfson and PCM1502)?
  • The other modules are easy to swap, but is it the same with these DIR modules ie: if I decide I want replace the DIR9001 with the WM8805 would I need to solder it or would it just slot into place?

Many thanks smile.gif  

I'm sorry but I have no experience with the DIR modules and haven't really looked into how they work. But I am pretty sure they are slots and no soldering needed.
post #225 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Dafo/IO - 2 quick questions please (or any other C2 users):

  • The DIR modules exist solely to smooth out any jitter via SPDIF as opposed to direct to the Sabre chip - is this a correct assumption? What about the other chips (Wolfson and PCM1502)?
  • The other modules are easy to swap, but is it the same with these DIR modules ie: if I decide I want replace the DIR9001 with the WM8805 would I need to solder it or would it just slot into place?

From the product page:

~DIR modules : Users can choice the SPDIF signal feed to either ES9018 direct and through DIR module with 3 jumpers setting , which is simply for users choice different sound flavors . Other DA modules must setting with DIR active model . WM8805 sound slight warmer , support up to 192KHz . DIR9001 sound quite neutral, support up to 96KHz .

 

~You could see all 3 models uses either of the DIR modules, easily exchangeable by removing a screw and unplugged from its slot. It is likely glued on, so just apply a little force in a wriggle fashion.

 

The DIR modules just behind the DA modules:


Edited by sayh - 12/31/13 at 9:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread