Im pretty new to the audiophile experience. I am currently using my beyerdynamic Dt 770 32 ohm as my main audiophile headphone but im looking for an upgrade to them. Im considering the AKG K550 because iv heard great things about them but I heard there lacking in base. Im also considering the Denon AH D600 but I haven't heard much on them at all. So im not sure which one to pick. I mainly listen to Hip hop like kendrick Lamar and ab soul but I often listen to rock like atreyu. Im looking for something that is extremely detailed, comfortable and easily driven. Im not a bass head so I don't need over powering bass. If anyone can let me know their options on either of these headphones or maybe recommend another headphone in the 300-400 dollar price range that will do the job please let me know. thank you so much
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 10/16/12
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Protagged by System, 10/16/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by System, 10/16/12
- productFanny Wang 2003 Headphones 2000 Seriestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 10/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by System, 10/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need help with model choice (akg, beyer, ultrasone) Last post on 9/12/12 at 8:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Great Headphones for Home Theatre Use Last post on 1/23/13 at 10:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Listening Fatigue w/ Denon D2000 Last post on 1/17/13 at 5:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
Can't decide between the Denon AH-D600 or the Akg K550 help anyone?post #1 of 1510/13/12 at 10:38amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1510/13/12 at 12:17pm
People aren't exactly raving about the D600s, but the D2000s when sold for ~200-300 are always a popular choice. The K550s are pretty hard to get a proper seal with some heads. Sound was decent. How about the COP/A900X/Mad Dogs?post #3 of 1510/13/12 at 12:21pm
I would second the recommendation for the Mad Dogs (Mr. Speakers mod of Fostex T50RP). I had the K550's and like them, but could not get a consistently good seal and so sold them. I have not tried the D600s, but I had the D2000's for a while and the recessed mids did not work for me.post #4 of 1510/13/12 at 12:38pmThread Starter
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?post #5 of 1510/13/12 at 12:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cgray11
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?
The COP sounds a bit different from other Beyer stuff. A cheap amp like the E11 (200mW/32ohm) would drive the Mad Dogs fine, they'd also be probably some of the best sounding out of all the choices. Even with the amp factored in, the price would roughly stay within budget.
Edited by TwinQY - 10/13/12 at 12:48pmpost #6 of 1510/13/12 at 1:20pmThread Starterpost #7 of 1510/13/12 at 1:31pmQuote:post #8 of 1510/13/12 at 5:07pmThread Starterpost #9 of 1510/13/12 at 5:13pmQuote:
They're pretty decent sounding. There's actually a good deal on them used at Amazon for $139.post #10 of 1510/13/12 at 5:18pm
The D600 is very decent sounding. Great bass and soundstage. Vocals are quite forward and sound amazing. May not be the best detailed headphones out there due to shelved down treble, but by no means are they veiled, treble still extends very well. They perform well straight out of an iPhone, just a tad bit hollow vs. amped. They also offer versatility with removable cables and 2 sets of those for different needs. I'd recommend them if you can get over the weird design at first sight.
The Mad Dogs are orthos so they may not be that easy to drive.post #11 of 1510/14/12 at 9:25amThread Starter
What do you guys think of the fanny wang FW 2003 headphones? I know there nothing like the ones i mentioned before. Im not looking at the Denons anymore because there a little out of my budget. How would the FW 2003 compair to the AKG K550's?post #12 of 1510/14/12 at 10:19amThread Starterpost #13 of 1510/14/12 at 11:43amQuote:
No need with these. Pretty easily powered.post #14 of 1510/14/12 at 9:40pm
check out the 76 page denon d600 appreciation thread which is somewhere here on headfi. lots of impressions of d600. consensus: some good, most bad
simply put, buy denon ah d2000s, amp not needed
google shopping the d2000s (the previous denon) turns up some place called 4electronicswharehouse.com with a price of $349
(google shop the d600 gets you $339 denon d600)post #15 of 1510/22/12 at 6:36pmThread Starter
So I just got my K550's in and there pretty good so far. Im only an hour into listing to them so I can't really say if burn does anything to them. But very happy with them so far. I bought a FIIO E7 only because the audio seems to be lounder in the right ear cups of my headphones when playing out of my mac only. Just wondering, How do you guys think the E7 will sound with me K550's and will the Desktop attachment help and is it worth it?
- Can't decide between the Denon AH-D600 or the Akg K550 help anyone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 14 seconds ago
- › Heading to Japan in August. What are some the top headphones sold... 59 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › How to rid a new mic of the machine/component smell? 1 minute ago
- › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grateful Dead Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Why 24 bit audio and anything over 48k is not only worthless, but... 2 minutes ago
- › Buying drivers/micro speakers for DIY headphones 2 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)