Im pretty new to the audiophile experience. I am currently using my beyerdynamic Dt 770 32 ohm as my main audiophile headphone but im looking for an upgrade to them. Im considering the AKG K550 because iv heard great things about them but I heard there lacking in base. Im also considering the Denon AH D600 but I haven't heard much on them at all. So im not sure which one to pick. I mainly listen to Hip hop like kendrick Lamar and ab soul but I often listen to rock like atreyu. Im looking for something that is extremely detailed, comfortable and easily driven. Im not a bass head so I don't need over powering bass. If anyone can let me know their options on either of these headphones or maybe recommend another headphone in the 300-400 dollar price range that will do the job please let me know. thank you so much
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 10/16/12
- productBeyerdynamic Custom One Pro Blacktagged by System, 10/16/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by System, 10/16/12
- productFanny Wang 2003 Headphones 2000 Seriestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 10/16/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/16/12
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by System, 10/16/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need help with model choice (akg, beyer, ultrasone) Last post on 9/12/12 at 8:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Listening Fatigue w/ Denon D2000 Last post on 1/17/13 at 5:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- List some headphones upto 500$ which dont require amp Last post on 12/26/12 at 8:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/14/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
My first quality IEM purchase was the Hifiman RE-400 when they first came out. I was used to low end Skullcandy sets at the time, and I really wanted to see what "reference sound" sounded like for...
This is going to be a short review, just letting you know in advance. I listen to mostly contemporary pop, classic rock, as well as a little classical. In my search for a good headphone to use for...
Can't decide between the Denon AH-D600 or the Akg K550 help anyone?post #1 of 1510/13/12 at 10:38amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1510/13/12 at 12:17pm
People aren't exactly raving about the D600s, but the D2000s when sold for ~200-300 are always a popular choice. The K550s are pretty hard to get a proper seal with some heads. Sound was decent. How about the COP/A900X/Mad Dogs?post #3 of 1510/13/12 at 12:21pm
I would second the recommendation for the Mad Dogs (Mr. Speakers mod of Fostex T50RP). I had the K550's and like them, but could not get a consistently good seal and so sold them. I have not tried the D600s, but I had the D2000's for a while and the recessed mids did not work for me.post #4 of 1510/13/12 at 12:38pmThread Starter
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?post #5 of 1510/13/12 at 12:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cgray11
I don't really like the COP look and im trying to get a different listing experience, away from beyerdynamic. My heard was set on the K550's because I love the look but I have heard issues about the seal. I never heard of the Mr Speakers mod but on their website it strongly suggests that I use a headphone amp so im not really considering thoes. I really can't find a website to buy the denon D2000's anymore what would be the current version called?
The COP sounds a bit different from other Beyer stuff. A cheap amp like the E11 (200mW/32ohm) would drive the Mad Dogs fine, they'd also be probably some of the best sounding out of all the choices. Even with the amp factored in, the price would roughly stay within budget.
Edited by TwinQY - 10/13/12 at 12:48pmpost #6 of 1510/13/12 at 1:20pmThread Starterpost #7 of 1510/13/12 at 1:31pmQuote:post #8 of 1510/13/12 at 5:07pmThread Starterpost #9 of 1510/13/12 at 5:13pmQuote:
They're pretty decent sounding. There's actually a good deal on them used at Amazon for $139.post #10 of 1510/13/12 at 5:18pm
The D600 is very decent sounding. Great bass and soundstage. Vocals are quite forward and sound amazing. May not be the best detailed headphones out there due to shelved down treble, but by no means are they veiled, treble still extends very well. They perform well straight out of an iPhone, just a tad bit hollow vs. amped. They also offer versatility with removable cables and 2 sets of those for different needs. I'd recommend them if you can get over the weird design at first sight.
The Mad Dogs are orthos so they may not be that easy to drive.post #11 of 1510/14/12 at 9:25amThread Starter
What do you guys think of the fanny wang FW 2003 headphones? I know there nothing like the ones i mentioned before. Im not looking at the Denons anymore because there a little out of my budget. How would the FW 2003 compair to the AKG K550's?post #12 of 1510/14/12 at 10:19amThread Starterpost #13 of 1510/14/12 at 11:43amQuote:
No need with these. Pretty easily powered.post #14 of 1510/14/12 at 9:40pm
check out the 76 page denon d600 appreciation thread which is somewhere here on headfi. lots of impressions of d600. consensus: some good, most bad
simply put, buy denon ah d2000s, amp not needed
google shopping the d2000s (the previous denon) turns up some place called 4electronicswharehouse.com with a price of $349
(google shop the d600 gets you $339 denon d600)post #15 of 1510/22/12 at 6:36pmThread Starter
So I just got my K550's in and there pretty good so far. Im only an hour into listing to them so I can't really say if burn does anything to them. But very happy with them so far. I bought a FIIO E7 only because the audio seems to be lounder in the right ear cups of my headphones when playing out of my mac only. Just wondering, How do you guys think the E7 will sound with me K550's and will the Desktop attachment help and is it worth it?
- Can't decide between the Denon AH-D600 or the Akg K550 help anyone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 6 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 46 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 58 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 59 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Like new HE-400 +pleathers/velours with invoice + 1.5 years... 2 minutes ago
- › Simple, low cost, HiFi network music streaming device 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)