Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 61

post #901 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

Yes but the cantata is a cd player and for many years people got by on running their headphones just strait out of their cd player, receiver, mixer etc.

 

When I first was introduced to mp3's say 10 ,11 years ago they sounded horrible a dac or sound card was more of a necessity than a luxury. I avoided mp3's for a long time until about 2 years ago. For me the difference between what I heard 11 years ago to what I heard 2 years ago was even more dramatic then listening to what a soundcard and dac did 11 years ago. After testing  dacs ranging from $99-$299 I didn't think any of them had a better performance than my serato sl-3 and my sl-3 does more than just dacing.

 

While I don't have the right to say that dac's are a bad purchase I can say that I have been on the first step of the ladder and it felt rickity. I am open minded though so if you believe in dac's and what they do then I think that's awesome.

 

Mrtim6 also said he bought the cantata 2nd hand. Some of these cd player, vintage receiver, mixer's can be bought extremely cheap 2nd hand. Why not get something that does more than just dacing and amping? Have some fun with your music on top of getting great sq.

 

You missed my point entirely. I understand the device pulls double duty, what I was trying to say was that people buy the Cantata for the DAC section, not because it is an AIO unit. Actually. many people don't appreciate the AIO units for a multitude of reasons. If one were to pick up a Cantata for a significant discount that's great, my point in quoting his two posts were that he preached that he doesn't understand how people spend 4k+ on DAC (meaning why people buy expensive DACs that are overrated?) but he himself has an expensive DAC. It's like Donald Trump giving financial advice on how to budget and not overspend, it's hypocritical. Now that's not to say the Cantata is not an excellent component because it is and it deserves all the praise it gets. But that isn't the point. 


Edited by Greed - 7/27/13 at 10:56am
post #902 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yes, my post was completely off topic. Talking about how the comparison made earlier between the TH600 and TH900 off a 'garbage' dac is still plenty helpful, as differences between the drivers will still be quite noticeable. People make it sound like these 'garbage' dacs are just that, garbage.


But yes, that's so off topic. rolleyes.gif

If anything is unhelpful, its those that try to justify to everyone else that you need an uber dac to appreciate the differences between two headphones.

 

MLE it really sounds like you are turning this into some kind of personal vendetta against "price snobs" but honestly, no one here is guilty of that. The whole discussion started with someone trying to understand the spending of another person. They bought a Porche, when they live in a shack. The logic seems flawed, at least to the person trying to understand. Others on here, have commented that source is important and that it should take a significant role in ones audio chain. Never did someone say, you NEED to spend a lot of money to enjoy or compare these two headphones - TH-600 and TH-900. Not to be disrespectful, but your words and snide remarks are distasteful and I believe you are losing respect by the post. All your comments have turned into personal attacks on people that really aren't saying anything to argue about, they are sharing their opinion about the topic at hand. If you don't like the way people spend their money, or how they express their opinions, you really shouldn't be reading this thread, much less this forum. This happens all the time.  


Edited by Greed - 7/27/13 at 11:07am
post #903 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

MLE it really sounds like you are turning this into some kind of personal vendetta against "price snobs" but honestly, no one here is guilty of that. The whole discussion started with someone trying to understand the spending of another person. They bought a Porche, when they live in a shack. The logic seems flawed, at least to the person trying to understand. Others on here, have commented that source is important and that it should take a significant role in ones audio chain. Never did someone say, you NEED to spend a lot of money to enjoy or compare these two headphones - TH-600 and TH-900. Not to be disrespectful, but your words and snide remarks are distasteful and I believe you are losing respect by the post. All your comments have turned into personal attacks on people that really aren't saying anything to argue about, they are sharing their opinion about the topic at hand. If you don't like the way people spend their money, or how they express their opinions, you really shouldn't be reading this thread, much less this forum. This happens all the time.  

 

Thank You

post #904 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post


You used the words garbage, once again it seems like you are jumping into a conversation and not even reading what people are saying. Good job, now I can not pay attention to anything you say ever again on here.

Multiple people on this thread are now propagating things that were never even said....NICE !!!!

Read then comment, rule 1 of decent forum etiquette.


In regards to the question by jbzilla, the TH-600/Rhinleander combo is pretty great so far. Still letting things kind of situate...the TH-600's are still quite new so I have read they do have a tendancy to change with time we'll see.

Garbage in, garbage out was used plenty of times, implying that the dacs used to compare was not a good source. Try harder next time.

A good source isn't made bad because someone attached a pricey headphone to it. Saying that an expensive headphone needs an expensive dac is just some horribly misguided nonsense, and an attempt to justify exorbitant purchases.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/27/13 at 3:17pm
post #905 of 2394
MLE my point which perhaps was not very clear is that there seems to be a growing trend of increasing the price of a DAC based not so much on sound but on looks -audio Jewelry if you like.

Yes there are some fine well built DACs out there but 4k plus for a box with no moving parts. This is the bit that throws me price wise. As I mentioned my Cantata was purchased because it was a bargin. I would not pay $6500 for one when they are worth $4000 max IMHO. Like I said feel free to disagree but that is my take on this subject.

On another point has anyone here tried the TH600 with the Zana Deux?
post #906 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam Bash View Post

Someone a while back in this thread asked what amp to use with these phones. I was pretty sure tubes were the way to go. Lately I have been using a solid state CK2III(upgraded beta 22 power supply and oversized heatsinks) and the pair are fantastic. Nothing fatiguing in the hi's, improved control in the bass(hits harder too), and it still has the excitement in the midrange. The tonal textures from the TH-600 and lack of grain make me forget it is solid state.
I haven't run these off the Woo WA6SE yet, but that pair should be interesting...


I'm auditioning the TH600 in a week or so.  It'll be going through a 1977 vintage Pioneer rack system (Spec 1 pre/Spec 2 amp/SG9500 EQ), fed from the following - Yamaha turntable, Sony CD player, Audioengine wireless iPod adapter, direct iPod connection and probably through the tuner a bit.  No DAC in the iPod chain. 

 

Then I'll try it with my 1978 Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amp, either direct from an iPhone 4 through a Kenwood EQ or the Audioengine wireless iPod adapter.  I've got one of those on both systems.

 

I'll probably try it through my iPod classic (5th Gen) and C421 portable amp for a reference point.

 

I'll be posting up my impressions here and on the HeadAmp audition page. 

 

Not sure if any of you guys have run a vintage receiver/amp into these beauties? 

post #907 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam Bash View Post

Someone a while back in this thread asked what amp to use with these phones. I was pretty sure tubes were the way to go. Lately I have been using a solid state CK2III(upgraded beta 22 power supply and oversized heatsinks) and the pair are fantastic. Nothing fatiguing in the hi's, improved control in the bass(hits harder too), and it still has the excitement in the midrange. The tonal textures from the TH-600 and lack of grain make me forget it is solid state.
I haven't run these off the Woo WA6SE yet, but that pair should be interesting...

 

WA6-SE was good with D2k, D7k, and TH-900, im sure its good with TH-600 as well.

post #908 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

You missed my point entirely. I understand the device pulls double duty, what I was trying to say was that people buy the Cantata for the DAC section, not because it is an AIO unit. Actually. many people don't appreciate the AIO units for a multitude of reasons. If one were to pick up a Cantata for a significant discount that's great, my point in quoting his two posts were that he preached that he doesn't understand how people spend 4k+ on DAC (meaning why people buy expensive DACs that are overrated?) but he himself has an expensive DAC. It's like Donald Trump giving financial advice on how to budget and not overspend, it's hypocritical. Now that's not to say the Cantata is not an excellent component because it is and it deserves all the praise it gets. But that isn't the point. 


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:52am
post #909 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

MLE it really sounds like you are turning this into some kind of personal vendetta against "price snobs" but honestly, no one here is guilty of that. The whole discussion started with someone trying to understand the spending of another person. They bought a Porche, when they live in a shack. The logic seems flawed, at least to the person trying to understand. Others on here, have commented that source is important and that it should take a significant role in ones audio chain. Never did someone say, you NEED to spend a lot of money to enjoy or compare these two headphones - TH-600 and TH-900. Not to be disrespectful, but your words and snide remarks are distasteful and I believe you are losing respect by the post. All your comments have turned into personal attacks on people that really aren't saying anything to argue about, they are sharing their opinion about the topic at hand. If you don't like the way people spend their money, or how they express their opinions, you really shouldn't be reading this thread, much less this forum. This happens all the time.  


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:51am
post #910 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

Actually greed it all started with kcee and dubstep girl saying "Get the th-900's!!!" and "3k on 2 headphones. 300 dollar dac" and yes they def. are guilty of being "price snobs". Pardon my French but that schiit needs to stay in summit-fi. You and I both know I would not last long in the th-900 thread if I got on there and said "Get the th-600's!!!" or "3k on your dac? That's way too much." 

 

I don't care if plakat spun pancakes on his platter or took a dump in his portable cd player and listen to it. It should not matter. If you feel the need that bad to show off how rich you are then you really need to send a pm. This is the hood not summit-fi.cool.gif

 

hood rich normal_smile%20.gif

 

and lol im not a price snob, and im still not summit-fi material, i have no stax or endgame amps yet.

post #911 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

hood rich normal_smile%20.gif

 

and lol im not a price snob, and im still not summit-fi material, i have no stax or endgame amps yet.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:49am
post #912 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

Man if your hood rich then that means I'm livin in the frigin gutter. Spare some change?  So what is it that your mytek does for your th-900's that really makes them sing? What differences did you notice going from a $300 dac to a much nicer one?

 

the $300 DAC was slightly warmer and had more bass. but the bass was also not as tight, and it lacked the realistic soundstage, detail, and transparency. when i upgraded the DAC, all my headphones magically got better. the HE-500 no longer seemed as veiled and wooly in the bass. the LCD-2 didn't seem congested and dark, but rather neutral and detailed with a smooth sound, and the fostex th-900 wasn't recessed and muddy on the bass, the bass became really clean and controlled and the mids where warm and romantic and only slightly recessed. 

 

some of the improvements came with burn-in though, fresh out of the box, the mytek 192 was analytical thin fatiguing and bass light, although i could immediately notice the extra detail and clarity. my first words where like HOLY ******* ****!@#@!#!@# it was just such an immediate improvement. i felt the same way when i upgraded to the $300 DAC from an entry level DAC that was like $120 and could only do 16/48 through USB, that one wasn't much better than the sound card i had.

 

it was a huge improvement, however, the Digital Link III was no slouch, its still a very good dac, just not as resolving but about 80% of the way there, and very musical. also the Digital Link seemed a little grainy in the treble sometimes. i still like it though, its a very musical and slightly warm dac. the Mytek is different, its neutral with a slight warmth, at first i wasn't sure i really preferred it cause it seemed to be bass light and more analytical. but its slowly improving and i can hear a noticeable difference from what it was out of the box. 

 

also i believe in diminishing returns, i remember at the chicago head-fi meet i heard LCD-3 out of Ray's $25,000 CD player, it sure didn't sound like $25,000 to me, i was really unimpressed but yeah lol. and today my friend was at the capital audiofest and he said he heard the mytek 192, benchmark, woo audio dac, and some other dac side by side on the same system, and he couldn't tell a difference. so yeah.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 7/28/13 at 1:55am
post #913 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

the $300 DAC was slightly warmer and had more bass. but the bass was also not as tight, and it lacked the realistic soundstage, detail, and transparency. when i upgraded the DAC, all my headphones magically got better. the HE-500 no longer seemed as veiled and wooly in the bass. the LCD-2 didn't seem congested and dark, but rather neutral and detailed with a smooth sound, and the fostex th-900 wasn't recessed and muddy on the bass, the bass became really clean and controlled and the mids where warm and romantic and only slightly recessed. 

 

some of the improvements came with burn-in though, fresh out of the box, the mytek 192 was analytical thin fatiguing and bass light, although i could immediately notice the extra detail and clarity. my first words where like HOLY ******* ****!@#@!#!@# it was just such an immediate improvement. i felt the same way when i upgraded to the $300 DAC from an entry level DAC that was like $120 and could only do 16/48 through USB, that one wasn't much better than the sound card i had.

 

it was a huge improvement, however, the Digital Link III was no slouch, its still a very good dac, just not as resolving but about 80% of the way there, and very musical. also the Digital Link seemed a little grainy in the treble sometimes. i still like it though, its a very musical and slightly warm dac. the Mytek is different, its neutral with a slight warmth, at first i wasn't sure i really preferred it cause it seemed to be bass light and more analytical. but its slowly improving and i can hear a noticeable difference from what it was out of the box. 

 

also i believe in diminishing returns, i remember at the chicago head-fi meet i heard LCD-3 out of Ray's $25,000 CD player, it sure didn't sound like $25,000 to me, i was really unimpressed but yeah lol. and today my friend was at the capital audiofest and he said he heard the mytek 192, benchmark, woo audio dac, and some other dac side by side on the same system, and he couldn't tell a difference. so yeah.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:48am
post #914 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

WA6-SE was good with D2k, D7k, and TH-900, im sure its good with TH-600 as well.

smily_headphones1.gifbiggrin.gif:)


Thanks for taking the time to describe the Mytek. I've seen people describe it as analytical, and detailed, or a step up. Your description gives a nice picture of what it does. When I bought the dangerous source I read the bass was a bit boosted, but no reviews mentioned how much more information/detail it would reveal.
post #915 of 2394

Speaking of hood, and sleeping in the gutter. How does the TH-600 sound from something humble like the Schiit Vahalla? If I end up getting the TH-600 I would want some tubes and the cheapest I can think of was the Vahalla.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones