or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 58

post #856 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post

I have owned every member of the Denon AH-D family, most recently a newer version of the D7K.

I had the D5K awhile ago so I can't compare directly. If it helps I thought the newest version of the D7K easily trumpeted the D5K.

So you can kind of gather a response based on that.

 

 

When you say "I thought the newest version of the D7K easily trumpeted the D5K"....

 

Do you mean it "trumped" it? etysmile.gif

 

I am not sure that "trumpeted" is a another way of saying "beat" although I could be wrong.


Edited by nicholars - 7/25/13 at 10:49am
post #857 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

Different strokes for different folks. I haven't tried out allot of dac's but the few I did try out I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe it was just bad luck.
I have demoed an arcam, mdac and invicta side by side for a week. With the best will in the world but only someone with lack of experience would minimise the impact of a DAC. What goes in goes out. Source is the foundation. The focus of consumers on amps as a magic bullet and ignoring the source is just a shame
Edited by LFC_SL - 7/25/13 at 10:57am
post #858 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

When you say "I thought the newest version of the D7K easily trumpeted the D5K"....

 

Do you mean it "trumped" it? etysmile.gif

 

I am not sure that "trumpeted" is a another way of saying "beat" although I could be wrong.


Hehehehe, yes thats what I meant !

post #859 of 3313

The thing I hated about my D2000 were the thin mids. Tubes helped lush them up, but even in the end I found the mids too recessed. Not to mention the treble being peaky at times as well. I hear the D5000/D7000 improved upon these problems, but never got the chance to hear them. I'm very interested in the TH600, because even with the flaws, the D2000 were very fun cans. That sub-bass was fun as hell when I wanted some coloration to enjoy. I'm hoping the mids-recess thing has been fixed, somewhat with the new TH600/TH900. I already have my neutral phones (HE-500), so I'm looking for some variety/coloration.

post #860 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

The thing I hated about my D2000 were the thin mids. Tubes helped lush them up, but even in the end I found the mids too recessed. Not to mention the treble being peaky at times as well. I hear the D5000/D7000 improved upon these problems, but never got the chance to hear them. I'm very interested in the TH600, because even with the flaws, the D2000 were very fun cans. That sub-bass was fun as hell when I wanted some coloration to enjoy. I'm hoping the mids-recess thing has been fixed, somewhat with the new TH600/TH900. I already have my neutral phones (HE-500), so I'm looking for some variety/coloration.

 

I really am baffled about why Denon stopped making the Dxxxx series....

 

I think that the D5000 is an improvement in the mids whereas the D7000 is similar to the D2000 except more refined....

 

If the Denons were still available they would probably be one of the best selling headphones.... They could still sell the D2000 and D5000 at the prices they are and have the TH600 and TH900 as more expensive options...

post #861 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

I really am baffled about why Denon stopped making the Dxxxx series....

 

I think that the D5000 is an improvement in the mids whereas the D7000 is similar to the D2000 except more refined....

 

If the Denons were still available they would probably be one of the best selling headphones.... They could still sell the D2000 and D5000 at the prices they are and have the TH600 and TH900 as more expensive options...

They had their heyday. You just joined the party late. LOL. They were widely available for heavily discounted prices from 2009 to 2012. Denon probably sold a zillion of them. I got my D2000 brand new from JR for $199. They offered me the D5000 for $350 and the D7000 for $550. Brand new, authorized dealer. Even at these prices people weren't buying them left and right. They were always popular, but a lot of people slept on these until they were no longer available, then suddenly everyone wanted one. LOL.

 

I think it's mostly because whole Denon/Fostex contract relationship expired and they were not interested in entering into another contract. Denon went their own way and produced some Fugly ass terrible sounding headphones that are way overpriced and Fostex produced the awesome TH600/TH900. If the relationship with Denon continued these two could have been the new Denon headphones, easily could have been called the Denon D6000 and D9000 instead of the TH600/TH900

post #862 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post


I have demoed an arcam, mdac and invicta side by side for a week. With the best will in the world but only someone with lack of experience would minimise the impact of a DAC. What goes in goes out. Source is the foundation. The focus of consumers on amps as a magic bullet and ignoring the source is just a shame

Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 6:03am
post #863 of 3313

Denon still makes the Dxxxx series (D600 and D7100) but don't seem to get a lot of love.  Maybe they will make a turn around when all of them are sold out? - haha

post #864 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjshin23 View Post

Denon still makes the Dxxxx series (D600 and D7100) but don't seem to get a lot of love.  Maybe they will make a turn around when all of them are sold out? - haha

 

lol... I tried the D600 and they are nowhere near as good as the D2000 (in my opinion)....

 

Kind of wish I never sold the D2000 because now that they are discontinued they seem to sell second hand for more than they used to cost new. I am still looking for a pair of second hand D5000 though, but there are not many about and they are usually expensive.... The TH600 are just too expensive for me :(

 

I agree that the mids on the D2000 were lacking but the headphones were NICE for electronic music... Probably the best I have tried... Not so great for other genres though.... The HE400 I have at the moment are pretty strong competition for the Dxxxx series for electronic music though.


Edited by nicholars - 7/25/13 at 1:04pm
post #865 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

If your a dac guy then more power to ya it's just all of those dac's really seemed to get popular around the time of napster and I think we have moved on quite a bit from those days.
It is about being a music guy. Rather than spite yourself to prove a non-existent point go visit any self-respecting HiFi retailer and demo widely. I can tell because if you bothered to Google the DACs in my post then you would realise the irrelevance of referring to when Napster was in its illegal service heyday 15 years ago. And if you Google you would see the three DACs I home tested are at three different price points. That is how people make informed decisions.

You owe it to yourself to listen to decent kit and then decide if your ears are refined enough to justify the expenditure. Basing your entire opinion on samey budget amps at the bottom end of the market is self perpetuating and completely at odds in a thread about $900 headphones
post #866 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post

You owe it to yourself to listen to decent kit and then decide if your ears are refined enough to justify the expenditure. Basing your entire opinion on samey budget amps at the bottom end of the market is self perpetuating and completely at odds in a thread about $900 headphones

+1

 

Very concise way to put it. I wish I could write like this.

post #867 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

lol... I tried the D600 and they are nowhere near as good as the D2000 (in my opinion)....

 

D600s are garbage. The D7100 is that same garbage except you'll pay more money. They're ugly too to add. Denon really messed up bad with these. When I put on the D7100 for the first time I was like What the F#CK???!!!! People around me were staring because I was so upset. Mumbling to myself like a crazy person on drugs. LOL very_evil_smiley.gif

post #868 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

They had their heyday. You just joined the party late. LOL. They were widely available for heavily discounted prices from 2009 to 2012. Denon probably sold a zillion of them. I got my D2000 brand new from JR for $199. They offered me the D5000 for $350 and the D7000 for $550. Brand new, authorized dealer. Even at these prices people weren't buying them left and right. They were always popular, but a lot of people slept on these until they were no longer available, then suddenly everyone wanted one. LOL.

 

I think it's mostly because whole Denon/Fostex contract relationship expired and they were not interested in entering into another contract. Denon went their own way and produced some Fugly ass terrible sounding headphones that are way overpriced and Fostex produced the awesome TH600/TH900. If the relationship with Denon continued these two could have been the new Denon headphones, easily could have been called the Denon D6000 and D9000 instead of the TH600/TH900

 

+1

 

D6k and D9k would of been nice. 

 

i wonder what denons thinks of the D600 and D7100, and whether they've been selling well in general or not (talking about total sales here, not just head-fi'ers buying them).

post #869 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_SL View Post


It is about being a music guy. Rather than spite yourself to prove a non-existent point go visit any self-respecting HiFi retailer and demo widely. I can tell because if you bothered to Google the DACs in my post then you would realise the irrelevance of referring to when Napster was in its illegal service heyday 15 years ago. And if you Google you would see the three DACs I home tested are at three different price points. That is how people make informed decisions.

You owe it to yourself to listen to decent kit and then decide if your ears are refined enough to justify the expenditure. Basing your entire opinion on samey budget amps at the bottom end of the market is self perpetuating and completely at odds in a thread about $900 headphones

Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 6:02am
post #870 of 3313
Remember kiddies, A/B comparisons aren't valid unless you spend $2000 on a dac that doesn't send out garbage.

Because everything has to be high priced for it to be good.

Give me a break.

The TH-600 comparison to the TH-900 earlier is still valid because depsite how good a dac is or not (in this case, I'm willing to bet it's good dac vs better dac), there is still a measure of improvement from driver to driver. The most important thing is the transducer. The drivers tell the story, not the DAC.

I'm so sick of the head-fi hyperbole.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 7/26/13 at 2:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones