Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 41

post #601 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

I would much rather see a driver swap than a cup swap. Correct me if I'm wrong but given how expensive the lacquer finish is on the th-900 cups are I think switching the drivers would actually be less expensive. I'm also not much of a believer of wood cups making that much of a difference sound-wise.


Agree, and with dampening the choice of cup material has little impact on sound reproduction. Still wish they revisited the overall design, Denon were always leaving me with (will fall apart soon) feeling, and that self unscrewing cup swivel, aarrgh.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 5/22/13 at 8:01am
post #602 of 2127

Has some one opened up both the TH600 and TH900 to determine what the differences are?  Wondering if a TH600 could be modded to perform closer to the TH900.

post #603 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post

Has some one opened up both the TH600 and TH900 to determine what the differences are?  Wondering if a TH600 could be modded to perform closer to the TH900.

 

Drivers are different. I doubt the possibility. 

post #604 of 2127

So I haven't see any graphs for this headphone yet. Do you guys think tyll would be interested in taking mine for a test drive?

post #605 of 2127

The cup are relatively easily gone, the driver I'm not sure: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/2790#post_9006193

 

I'm also a believer/conceiver that cups material does little to change the sound (compared to dampening, driver modifications)... at least I can tell that for Grado, Mahogany, ABS plastic or Aluminum cup material doesn't change anything to the sound.

 

1.0 or 1.5 Gauss magnetic field I do wonder what does it change to the sound.


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/22/13 at 2:54pm
post #606 of 2127
Can you guys describe the burn in differences? I have a pair of th600 with about 60 hrs on them. The sound has really opened up, but there is still sibilance present.

Btw the headphones took a dive in sound quality around the 20 hr mark with a closed sound and very plummy bass. The extra 30 hrs did wonders.

I am driving the th600 with AE Nighthawk. I had a burson Soloist with Audeze lcd3 for a week long home audition prior to the Fostex. Let me say that combo was just sooooo thick and slow sounding. Boring summed it up. My stax combo of 404le and woo ges( cheaper than than Audeze burson combo) was just so much faster cleaner musical.

The Fostex AE combo much better than the Audeze. If I can just get rid of the sibilance!!!!!
 
post #607 of 2127
Trying to keep from shaking my head...
post #608 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicachamp View Post

Can you guys describe the burn in differences? I have a pair of th600 with about 60 hrs on them. The sound has really opened up, but there is still sibilance present.

Btw the headphones took a dive in sound quality around the 20 hr mark with a closed sound and very plummy bass. The extra 30 hrs did wonders.

I am driving the th600 with AE Nighthawk. I had a burson Soloist with Audeze lcd3 for a week long home audition prior to the Fostex. Let me say that combo was just sooooo thick and slow sounding. Boring summed it up. My stax combo of 404le and woo ges( cheaper than than Audeze burson combo) was just so much faster cleaner musical.

The Fostex AE combo much better than the Audeze. If I can just get rid of the sibilance!!!!!
 

Man I'm not noticing any sibilance at all. It's gotta be your setup or eq or something. The treble is actually what I like best about these.

post #609 of 2127

I got my TH600 used so I can't speak too much to burn-in.  It sounded good when I got it.  Tonight I will try some vocals that have the potential to show off any sibilance in the system.  However, as a general comment up to this point, the TH600 treble is very good.  Not harsh or overly bright.  The TH600 is a smooth sounding, slightly laid back, type of headphone.  I really enjoy the top and low end of the TH600.  Mids could be a little more prominent but I'm a ortho guy at heart.  Detail and timbre are very good as well.  With different amps we may be hearing different things out of the TH600.  My amp is slightly warm in tone and lush which may be a good match for the TH600.  Would like to hear the TH600 with a tube amp as well as with a drier SS amp to figure out the best pairing.      

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicachamp View Post

Can you guys describe the burn in differences? I have a pair of th600 with about 60 hrs on them. The sound has really opened up, but there is still sibilance present.

Btw the headphones took a dive in sound quality around the 20 hr mark with a closed sound and very plummy bass. The extra 30 hrs did wonders.

I am driving the th600 with AE Nighthawk. I had a burson Soloist with Audeze lcd3 for a week long home audition prior to the Fostex. Let me say that combo was just sooooo thick and slow sounding. Boring summed it up. My stax combo of 404le and woo ges( cheaper than than Audeze burson combo) was just so much faster cleaner musical.

The Fostex AE combo much better than the Audeze. If I can just get rid of the sibilance!!!!!
 
post #610 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

I got my TH600 used so I can't speak too much to burn-in.  It sounded good when I got it.  Tonight I will try some vocals that have the potential to show off any sibilance in the system.  However, as a general comment up to this point, the TH600 treble is very good.  Not harsh or overly bright.  The TH600 is a smooth sounding, slightly laid back, type of headphone.  I really enjoy the top and low end of the TH600.  Mids could be a little more prominent but I'm a ortho guy at heart.  Detail and timbre are very good as well.  With different amps we may be hearing different things out of the TH600.  My amp is slightly warm in tone and lush which may be a good match for the TH600.  Would like to hear the TH600 with a tube amp as well as with a drier SS amp to figure out the best pairing.      

 

 

Those are my words, exactly!

 

I got them yesterday, they only had 12-15h of use so far (mostly burn-in today).

At first they reminded me of the HE-4. They have a U-shaped signature with a very clean sound (as opposed to the other Hifiman planars that all have some lushness, to some degree. Never got the honor to own the 6s, which are said to be like the 4s).

Now that I compared them side by side, I can say the TH-600 have more pronounced emphasis to both ends. Yet, as you said, I'm yet to hear any harshness in the treble! It's very very good, even out of the NFB-15 which is not the most mature DAC/Amp in the market).

 

What strikes me the most is that, from casual listening, they sound very open for closed cans! While I'm sitting at my PC writing this post, I'm having a hard time saying the HE-4 sound more open than the TH-600! That's quite a feat, especially compared to what has been, so far, the most open/airy sounding can in my possession!

I would expect to hear a bigger difference in bed on my main rig (in favour of the open-backed HE-4), but for casual listening, I'm very pleasantly surprised beerchug.gif

post #611 of 2127

Glad to see I'm not hearing things with the treble. I don't think that they are quite as open as the annies yet, but yes very nicely done soundstage like the d7k. The th-600 I would say the is more open sounding than a few open cans though, lcd-2 comes to mind. 

post #612 of 2127

The major downside to the TH600 is that it opens your eyes as to what Fostex is doing in the high end headphone world and makes you wonder about upgrading to the TH900 wink.gif

post #613 of 2127

Yeah but allot of us don't have the money to do that. Especially when you consider your gonna prob. want a decent amp and dac as well. Other than the driver on the 900 being 1.5 tesla vs. 1.1 tesla on the 600 I doubt there is much of a dif. between the two. The wood cups are beautiful don't get me wrong but I bet you get 90% of the what the wood cups do for the 900 with the damping material that's inside the 600. The th-600 cups are also metal not plastic which I think is a really nice touch. I haven't heard the 900 though so this is just my 2 cents. 

post #614 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

The major downside to the TH600 is that it opens your eyes as to what Fostex is doing in the high end headphone world and makes you wonder about upgrading to the TH900 wink.gif

 

Well, I'm not sure I want a more U-shaped sound signature so I migth stop right there with the TH-600 wink.gif

 

The other downside is that I now want to try the WA7...

post #615 of 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

 

Well, I'm not sure I want a more U-shaped sound signature so I migth stop right there with the TH-600 wink.gif

 

The other downside is that I now want to try the WA7...

+1 and with the th-600 being so cheap rite now you can afford a WA7 and still come in for around the same price as the 900 by itself. The th-600 sounds pretty good out of a $100 magni though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones