Shame that these are so overpriced....
Recent Images In This Thread
- productFostex TH600 Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 10/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for closed headphones Last post on 1/28/15 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dampening Modifications to Fostex TH600 Headphones Last post on 12/30/14 at 3:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for the next High end purchase Last post on 12/12/14 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats a good step up from the D5000s? Last post on 11/18/14 at 2:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Gonna spend some money - I don't need advice, just fellow audiophiles to discuss options... Last post on 1/17/15 at 5:53pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 29
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It's similar with the TH900 also, it can be ordered from Pricejapan and shipped to U.S. (and other countries) for $1660 including shipping and all fees. The most dramatic difference is the Stax SR-009 which sells for $3,600 on there vs. over $5,000 in the states. I ordered my AD2000X from there with no problems for $579 and got them in just under a week.
Those are great prices! The problem is it is a link to somewhere else (kakaku.com), and I can't read Japanese
$840 from price japan, the link was a few pages ago.
Sorry...live raw notes.
Headphone DAC/Amp: Fostex HP-A8
iTunes via Audirvana+ 1.4.6: integer mode 2
Both Headphones using 1/4" jacks
Spanish Harlem - Rebecca Pidgeon (16/44.1 FLAC)
TH-600 seems to sound wider, whilst SigDJ seems more closed but deeper imaging, & taller sound stage.
SigDJ vocals has a more intimate whilst the TH-600 seems more set-back. By this I mean positioning from the listener (not talking about mid forwardness/recess-ness).
The SigDJ's S-Logic makes some instruments sound to come from behind the listener, whilst the TH-600, it feels more like sitting on row 5.
TH-600 has more distinct instrument separation
Through The Eyes Of Love - Sarah Morgann (16/44.1 FLAC)
Again, with the SigDJ's S-Logic, I feel I'm on the stage with artist and pianist performing, whilst with the TH-600 it's more taking from an audience's position.
The SigDJ's more closed proximity to the performance makes it easier to hear the detail, but with the TH-600 it feels more natural and laid back.
Climax - Usher (16/44.1 FLAC)
SigDJ's bass...wow. Trebles are also more forward and airy but not sibilant. More engaging on the SigDJ. The TH-600 feels too refined for whilst the SigDJ feels more engaging with its all S-Logic imaging. Usher feels more "hip" with SigDJ. The TH-600 has more of attending a sophisticated black tie concert but no one's allowed to jump up 'n down to dance.
Want U Back - Cher Lloyd
SigDJ's closed but "all around you" soundstage actually feels more engaging again in comparison to the TH-600. Same Usher's Climax, the TH-600 feels a little too refined for this kind of fast fun genre.
Star Wars Main Theme - John Williams (16/44.1 FLAC)
The tables have turned again. The TH-600 feels rich, spacious with a large orchestra to breath. The instrument separation helps here. The SigDJ feels too closed for this kind of presentation.
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (DSD DSF 2.8MHz)
The TH-600's larger soundstage again seems to let this kind of rock to breath more nicely. The SigDJ actually felt more 2D-ish which surprised me. I did reseat the headphones on my ears properly for the S-Logic positioning but no improvement.
This is what I've got so far. Apologies for the brief notes.
To be honest, I didn't expect the SigDJ to perform that well. I know I wrote an impression of it last year in November, and I've had the TH-600 for the past month this year and thought the TH-600 will easily best the SigDJ's.
Today I actually picked up the very same SigDJ I reviewed last year (so it's kinda well burnt in) and thought the TH-600 would best the SigDJ in every way and in every genre. Instead I'm surprised that there were areas where the SigDJ wasn't so easily beaten.
BTW, just when I thought the TH-600 couldn't get any better. Tell ya what, this amp isn't even really warmed up yet and it's making me think I need to re-evaluate my impressions of the TH-600!!
Sexy setup!! Yowza!!!
That is one beautiful setup!
- Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 37 seconds ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 7 minutes ago
- › Little Dot I+ by Zeejet
- › MHDT labs havana by joespride
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Dsnuts
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by Janos Kardos
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V2 by Zeejet
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3