or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 70

post #1036 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post


Thanks for the info. Ive had the D5000 three times but longed for cleaner tighter bass. Im wondering if the th600 is the ticket. Although i fear the midrange might be recessed.


I have the TH600 on loan right now and the bass IS tight being driven with a vintage Pioneer amp.  Source/amp likely impacts this of course.  However, so is my Denon D7000 - it's Lawton modded and has angle pads on it.  When it was stock, the bass was kind of a mess to me - when I got the headphones back from Mark the difference was really quite stark - no exaggeration it was like a different headphone. 

 

My point in all this babble is maybe if you Lawton modded your D5000's you'd have the same tight bass (kind of assuming you had a non-modded D5000 all three times).  Might save you some $ over the TH600, which is a great headphone.  If I didn't have a D7000 I would definitely buy it.  Not a negative to it IMO. 

post #1037 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

 

The WA7 apparently compensate for the midrange recession. It is said to make a wonderful pairing!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


I have the TH600 on loan right now and the bass IS tight being driven with a vintage Pioneer amp.  Source/amp likely impacts this of course.  However, so is my Denon D7000 - it's Lawton modded and has angle pads on it.  When it was stock, the bass was kind of a mess to me - when I got the headphones back from Mark the difference was really quite stark - no exaggeration it was like a different headphone. 

 

My point in all this babble is maybe if you Lawton modded your D5000's you'd have the same tight bass (kind of assuming you had a non-modded D5000 all three times).  Might save you some $ over the TH600, which is a great headphone.  If I didn't have a D7000 I would definitely buy it.  Not a negative to it IMO. 

 

Ahh nothing mods and tube amps can't fix! 

post #1038 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


I have the TH600 on loan right now and the bass IS tight being driven with a vintage Pioneer amp.  Source/amp likely impacts this of course.  However, so is my Denon D7000 - it's Lawton modded and has angle pads on it.  When it was stock, the bass was kind of a mess to me - when I got the headphones back from Mark the difference was really quite stark - no exaggeration it was like a different headphone. 

 

My point in all this babble is maybe if you Lawton modded your D5000's you'd have the same tight bass (kind of assuming you had a non-modded D5000 all three times).  Might save you some $ over the TH600, which is a great headphone.  If I didn't have a D7000 I would definitely buy it.  Not a negative to it IMO. 


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:07am
post #1039 of 3313

I personally didn't find the Lawton mods to be overbearingly different from the stock version. It was also a compromise because the new mods made the mids even more distant, and the bass a bit more imbalanced. It wasnt a clear upgrade per se, and really up to the individuals tastes whether they like the sound more or less. For me, it was technically an upgrade from the stock version, but considering the price of the mods - I would get a TH-600 in a heartbeat over the denon+mods. You will more than likely pay about the same amount. 


Edited by Greed - 8/14/13 at 11:29am
post #1040 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

I personally did find the Lawton mods to be overbearingly different from the stock version. It was also, I give and take for me because the new mods made the mids even more distant, and the bass a bit more imbalanced. It is technically an upgrade from the stock version, but considering the price of his mods - I would get a TH-600 in a heartbeat over the denon+mods. You will more than likely pay about the same amount. 


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:06am
post #1041 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

well said


Yes it was.  However, maybe I'm fortunate and my 52 year old ears don't have the acuity of a young man, but my D7000 was every bit as good as the TH600.  In every measurement.  Went back and forth with the same songs back to back and really it was like two clones. 

 

I'm a believer in Mark L mods.  I know what mine sounded like before and after. 

 

That said, a TH600 for $815ish is a GREAT deal and I'd jump on it with both feet.  And to be honest, I've been considering it..............thus is the sickness that permeates this site.  biggrin.gif

post #1042 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Yes it was.  However, maybe I'm fortunate and my 52 year old ears don't have the acuity of a young man, but my D7000 was every bit as good as the TH600.  In every measurement.  Went back and forth with the same songs back to back and really it was like two clones. 

 

I'm a believer in Mark L mods.  I know what mine sounded like before and after. 

 

That said, a TH600 for $815ish is a GREAT deal and I'd jump on it with both feet.  And to be honest, I've been considering it..............thus is the sickness that permeates this site.  biggrin.gif


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:04am
post #1043 of 3313

May I know if anyone has compared the TH-600 to the DX1000/2000 by JVC?

post #1044 of 3313

Had some free time today so read the first 50 pages of this thread. That took awhile, but I think I understand the TH600 much better now.

 

A few questions:

 

Those of you driving the TH600 from a powerful amp like the Lyr or equivalent. Do you get a noticeable noise floor/hum? Is it as bad as it was for the old Denon line?

 

So the TH600 are tamer in the bass, less recessed in the mid (But drier), but the treble is harsher than the TH900? With some people detecting minor sibilance and other people detecting none?

 

Oh and the TH900 offers more resolution and detail extraction?

 

I think that's the gist of what I got from all my reading. One questions I did have is, does it offer more transparency/resolution than the LCD-2 or HE-500? or a little less than this guess? It is grainier than these planars right?

post #1045 of 3313
Think someone said it perfectly earlier (might have been a professional review site). Most people will stop at the TH600. The crazy will step up to the TH900 and it is really hard to be interested in other headphones once you have heard the TH900 too...
post #1046 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Had some free time today so read the first 50 pages of this thread. That took awhile, but I think I understand the TH600 much better now.

 

A few questions:

 

Those of you driving the TH600 from a powerful amp like the Lyr or equivalent. Do you get a noticeable noise floor/hum? Is it as bad as it was for the old Denon line?

 

So the TH600 are tamer in the bass, less recessed in the mid (But drier), but the treble is harsher than the TH900? With some people detecting minor sibilance and other people detecting none?

 

Oh and the TH900 offers more resolution and detail extraction?

 

I think that's the gist of what I got from all my reading. One questions I did have is, does it offer more transparency/resolution than the LCD-2 or HE-500? or a little less than this guess? It is grainier than these planars right?


With both the TH600 and the old Denon's (both D7000 and D2000) I have no hum/noise out of vintage amps.  Maybe I'm just fortunate.

post #1047 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Had some free time today so read the first 50 pages of this thread. That took awhile, but I think I understand the TH600 much better now.

 

A few questions:

 

Those of you driving the TH600 from a powerful amp like the Lyr or equivalent. Do you get a noticeable noise floor/hum? Is it as bad as it was for the old Denon line?

 

So the TH600 are tamer in the bass, less recessed in the mid (But drier), but the treble is harsher than the TH900? With some people detecting minor sibilance and other people detecting none?

 

Oh and the TH900 offers more resolution and detail extraction?

 

I think that's the gist of what I got from all my reading. One questions I did have is, does it offer more transparency/resolution than the LCD-2 or HE-500? or a little less than this guess? It is grainier than these planars right?


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 5:02am
post #1048 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Had some free time today so read the first 50 pages of this thread. That took awhile, but I think I understand the TH600 much better now.

 

A few questions:

 

Those of you driving the TH600 from a powerful amp like the Lyr or equivalent. Do you get a noticeable noise floor/hum? Is it as bad as it was for the old Denon line?

 

So the TH600 are tamer in the bass, less recessed in the mid (But drier), but the treble is harsher than the TH900? With some people detecting minor sibilance and other people detecting none?

 

Oh and the TH900 offers more resolution and detail extraction?

 

I think that's the gist of what I got from all my reading. One questions I did have is, does it offer more transparency/resolution than the LCD-2 or HE-500? or a little less than this guess? It is grainier than these planars right?

 

Bass is more polite than the TH-900. Seems like their is more of a sub-bass presence but IMO that is just because the TH-900 has a slight emphasis in the mid-bass. So yes, the TH-600's bass does sound more linear. The mids are less recessed, but not as sweet and lush sounding - yes, drier. Treble is not as refined, but still extends very well and has nice detail. Sibilance was at a minimum with both headphones, but there was more with the TH-600 (some female vocals to be exact). 

 

The TH-900 does do better with technicalities. Better resolution, slightly wider soundstage (depth is about the same to me), more detail from top to bottom, and imaging. Overall a slight more natural sounding headphone in comparison. I've said it to a few people before, but if I were to put a number on how much better the TH-600 is to the TH-900 it would be 90%. Value wise - the TH-600 is the clear winner IMO... just don't put those red cups around your ears and you will be fine.

 

Transparency/resolution is better than the LCD-2, IMO. A very close comparison to the HE-500, but I think the HE-500 wins out in the end. Especially with good upstream gear. 

post #1049 of 3313

Thanks guys.biggrin.gif

 

I've been bouncing back and forth between getting the TH600 or the Stax 2170 or HD800.

 

But as of today I think I'm going TH600 and probably look at the other two a little later.

post #1050 of 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Thanks guys.biggrin.gif

 

I've been bouncing back and forth between getting the TH600 or the Stax 2170 or HD800.

 

But as of today I think I'm going TH600 and probably look at the other two a little later.

 

Sell the LCD-2 and get an HD800... the HE-500 and HD800 is a solid stable IMO. Than use the money you were going to spend on the TH-600 to get a nice tube amp for the HD800.

 

/end mommyrant 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones