- 5,596 Posts. Joined 1/2012
- Location: East Coast, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- MADE IN THE USA - Any advise Last post on 4/2/13 at 12:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Check Out The Head-Fi Summer 2012 Buying Guide! Last post on 3/31/13 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audeze Customer Service....my Experience. Last post on 1/17/13 at 11:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Auditioning headphones in Indiana area Last post on 2/10/12 at 10:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Is Grado evolving too slowly? Last post on 5/23/13 at 9:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list. - Page 53post #781 of 82011/14/13 at 10:13pmCan do, I'll let you know.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #782 of 82011/15/13 at 1:26amQuote:
Good to hear that the XC provides Good isolation because i am looking for à "non Leaking" to replace my TH900 when i need isolation.
But... I believe that à SigPRO or AlphaDOG Will provide even better isolation ? Right ?
Edited by bmichels - 11/15/13 at 1:29ampost #783 of 82011/15/13 at 3:42ampost #784 of 82011/15/13 at 10:11pmQuote:
They sound very nice together, the amp section in the 105 does a wonderful job with the XCs. It's maybe a little sweet/warm, yet super clean. They're a good combo, IMO.post #785 of 82011/15/13 at 10:13pmQuote:
They isolate much better than TH-900s, I consider the Fostex to be more like open cans, really. Still love them to death, though.post #786 of 82011/16/13 at 12:39amQuote:
when you say "They isolate much better than TH-900s", do you refer to the LCD-XC or the SigPRO / Alpha ?
thankspost #787 of 82011/16/13 at 4:51am
Oppo plus XC sounds like one of several potential combos for me then. Thanks!
You say you still 'love the TH900s to death'. Haven't heard that headphone, but will demo the XC soon. You did mention that you now think the Audeze is the 'best' closed back headphone. For listening to rock, blues, acoustic, some jazz but no classical.......does that assessment still stand?
thanks!post #788 of 82011/16/13 at 11:17amQuote:
Was talking about the XCs.post #789 of 82011/17/13 at 11:17ampost #790 of 82011/17/13 at 11:50ampost #791 of 82011/19/13 at 1:06pmpost #792 of 82011/19/13 at 2:10pmpost #793 of 82011/19/13 at 8:54pm
It's more expensive, so yes. ;)
Have you heard other planars? Audezes specifically? I'm 99% sure it's going to be objectively better than the Sig Pro, but whether or not you think it's better than the T5p is a matter of whether or not you like the Audeze sound more than the Beyer sound. I'm about 50% sure it's better.
This is strictly based on my opinion, formed by reading the forums and using some common sense. I haven't heard any of these. I did have a T1, and I did have an LCD-3, and I think, comfort aside, the LCD-3 was better.post #794 of 82011/19/13 at 11:33pm
Better soundstage, more open sounding. More details without beeing harsh in the highs. More transparent, lively sound with great naturally mids.post #795 of 82011/20/13 at 1:53am
In the world of Head-Fi, or any-Fi, there is usually a big gap: between the impatience of members to get something NOW, and the more-often-than-not long waiting periods to get that something from the manufacturer... When I ordered my LCD-XC, I had already settled for the long haul, again.
One nice thing about SoCal is this: come home from work late one evening and find a Fedex shipping from Audeze, then the next day hold your shiny new toy in hand, or even better:
And for good measure, here's the most succinct unboxing around here:
And that's all folks: a couple of pamphlets, some pretty cool stickers, in an envelope, a bag with cables and wood care oil, and the headphones (with a nifty spacer, unlike the one I had to make for my LCD-3) No frequency chart though, for expedience probably and also probably generally to avoid throwing more fuel on some potential fires ^_^;;
I bought them sight unseen (or rather sound unheard) because I always told myself if Audeze EVER releases a closed headphone...
After a recent absence from my Head-Fi gear, and coming back to it, there still is no contest for me with all the gear I've heard: nothing I love more than my (wide-open) LCD-3 fed by my WA-22 with the occasional variation of tube flavoring (fed in turn by my M-DAC, balanced of course) I guess for open headphones there might be some experimentation left (though I doubt I'd much like the brightness of the HD800, and Stax' 009 (and the Abyss) are priced beyond good and evil for my finances...)
For closed headphones, I've loved the tone of my slightly modded AT-W3000ANVs, and eventually the Fostex TH900 took over as my favourite, after a somewhat cool start. But now, after even just a brief listen, I can say already that for me it's pretty much a done deal: the LCD-XC is it, it's closed & still has the Audeze sound! Audio bliss.
Yes, it does have a different signature than the LCD-3, but it's still all there, including the bass (on the same WA-22 setup I listened to just last night) It is definitely brighter, but still keeps sibilant records in check as well as can be expected, and more importantly it's pretty even throughout, without a weird spike like the T1, or the Ed8 to a lesser extent, or the u-shaped increase of the TH900 (which is admittedly still well-managed) It is also well within tube-adjustability.
As far as comfort goes: it's Audeze, either it feels comfortable to you or it doesn't, I've always been fine, maybe for not being of scrawny neckage -_-;;. Though one issue I had with the LCD-3 pads was the rather pronounced suction effect, which was so uncomfortable to me that I added a tiny anti-suction/pressure-equalization mod to it. The texture of the new pads seems to be very slightly rougher, so interestingly enough I have not experienced the same issue yet.
UPDATE: Isolation: very good indeed, better than most closed cans I have, except maybe the HP100 or the Ed8.
These are first impressions of course, and IMHO always applies. I'll certainly spend some quality time with these, and to that: Yay! (even in light of my handle...)
Edited by TheGrumpyOldMan - 11/20/13 at 10:17am
- Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Cowon Plenue P1 6 seconds ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 2 minutes ago
- › The new Eddie Current 2A3x4 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Best set of cans under $150? 4 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 4 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)