New member here and just finished reading the guide at http://www.head-fi.org/a/basic-guide-to-in-ear-canalphones
I've owned the Sennheiser CX300-B headphones for a good 5-6 years now. For the money i feel they've been a great set of headphones. But as time has gone on the cable has worn and finally broke and I'm looking to replace them.
I have a few questions:
1) Will $300+ set of IEM's sound dramatically better? The CX300's were my first set of canalphones and I remember being blown away with the seal and how much better they sounded than outer-ear headphones.
2) I listen to classic/progressive rock, jazz, and classical. From reading several threads it seems the Westone 3,4, or 4R's would be a good fit for me. Do you agree?
3) My primary use of these headphones is at work where I sit in a cubicle and I have helpdesk guys near me that are always on the phone. My goal is to block out as much of that sound as possible. I plan to even use the headphones while not listening to music to cut out the distractions. With that said, will universal IEM's give me a good enough seal to take that distraction away? I'm not talking about deep machinery noises, just people chattering and/or talking on the phone. My CX300's help but they use a shallow sleeve which isn't necessarily deep into the ear. I think the noise reduction can be improved.
4) With the #3 requirement, should i be looking at customs? will they provide even better noise reduction?
5) i'm willing to spend 300-500, but not $1000 as I've seen the price tag for some customs. If customs were to be better for my noise reduction requirement, can i get good canalphones for my price range?
thank you in advance