mwindham08: I just noticed in your profile that you had previously used Schiit Mjolnir. May I ask you your opinion on it in comparison with E1 (both basic and upgrade versions) - purely in terms of sound quality?
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- AMP or Soundcard upgrade? Last post on 11/19/13 at 4:14am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ASUS Launches Essence III USB DAC/Preamp/Headamp Last post on Yesterday at 4:27 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Need suggestions for PC/Desk speakers and DAC solution Last post on 10/12/13 at 2:42am in Computer Audio
- Wanting to Upgrade Asus Xonar Essence One DAC/amp to "Muses Edition" Last post on 8/23/13 at 6:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Asus Xonar Essence One Owners Last post on 8/12/13 at 10:09am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: Today
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)
Schiit Gungnir vs. Asus Essence One Improvement? - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It is a bit harder for me to compare the mjolnir and the E1 as I went from the E1 to the Decware Taboo MK III.
I received the Mjolnir after I had been using the Taboo for a few months and had already sold the E1 so the only direct comparion I had was between the Mjolnir and the Taboo.
Having said that I did get to compare the Taboo and the E1. The Taboo had a vastly improved soundstage and imaging.
It had increased detail and dynamics. It was pretty much better in every regard to be honest. Of course the Taboo
is 3 times the price of the stock E1 so that is to be expected.
When I compared the Mjolnir to the Taboo they had simliar attributes. It probably had a little more bass slam however the biggest
difference was the reduced soundstage of the Mjolnir. Instruments to the left and right were much closer and after listening to the Taboo
it made the presentation sound a little collapsed. I actually ended up sending the Mjolnir back, it's still a really great amp, other than the soundstage it was really close to the Taboo, at least with the stock tubes installed. If I'm going to have 2 amps I would prefer them to sound less alike the Mjolnir and Taboo.
So I guess in comparison to the E1 the Mjolnir will have greater detail and dynamics. Slightly better bass (if using the Muses opamps, if stock opamps drastically improved bass). It will have more extended highs and greater control over headphones such as orthodynamics ect. Not sure what headphones you are using though so that point might not be relevant.
Do I need to solder LME49720HAs on these adapters or they have a hole and can be put easily in the holes?
When I was at a meet one time, I tried the Lyr/Bifrost on the HD650 and it was a lot better than the Muses. The Muses is actually very good with the 650 but not so much with my LCD-3.
I then connected the Lyr to the Muses DAC and it wasn't anything like the Bifrost/Lyr combo on the 650. In fact, it wasn't that much different from my standard Muses edition.
That's why I have such a curiosity for how the Gungnir/Mjolnir sound as opposed to the Muses/Mjolnir sound.
Because the mojo is powerful, there is quite a dynamic, lively difference with the Muses DAC as well as it working it really hot. The bass is there but not as much slam as I was hoping for. Perhaps that is LCD-3's fault.
I live in the DC area and if there is a meet here and someone has this combo, I'll check it out and see if I should just get the Gungnir and use that exclusively with the mojo. I'll never get rid of the Muses though, it is so versatile and sweet sounding with the 650.
So are you saying you like the MJ + E1 but wonder if the MJ+Gungnir might sound better?
There is definitely a good possibility it might, especially since Schiit voiced both of those products to be used together.
I don't think it would necessarily be that the E1 was "worse", but that there would be more synergy with the two Schiit products.
Do you think that the Lyr might have been holding the E1 back? Considering that the E1 Muses Edition is substantially more expensive
than the Lyr, and that the E1 sounds well with the MJ.
I completely agree about the E1 not being able to run Audeze cans. It runs out of gas pretty quickly and definitely seems to prefer
higher impedance cans.
I don't think price has anything to do with the quality of the products due to the fact that Schiit makes outstanding products affordably. E1 is very affordable for what it does. Muses only cost that much due to the 6 muses opamps inside.
My question is how much better is MJ & Gungnir than the Muses/MJ combo.
Both the Lyr and MJ has a lot of power, way more than the E1. 4 & 5 watts into 50 ohms as opposed to the E1's 610mW into 50 ohms. With orthos, E1 won't cut it but with dynamics, especially Sennheiser, it provides a very clean and tight sound without much noise. It synergizes really well with Senns and it has so much more functions than other amp/dacs on the market.
- Schiit Gungnir vs. Asus Essence One Improvement?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › ATH-W1000X Appreciation Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 3 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-507 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Best music while stoned? 5 minutes ago
- › Want to buy or trade for Audeze LCD-2 Rev1 6 minutes ago
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi