mwindham08: I just noticed in your profile that you had previously used Schiit Mjolnir. May I ask you your opinion on it in comparison with E1 (both basic and upgrade versions) - purely in terms of sound quality?
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Xonar One vs E09k + E17? Last post on 3/26/14 at 11:33am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best computer DAC under 100? Last post on 2/14/14 at 7:10pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Suitable DAC and Amp for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 1/22/14 at 11:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice regarding the Asus Xonar Essence One Last post on 1/22/14 at 3:56am in Dedicated Source Components
- Usb dac/amp, xonar essence one alternative Last post on 12/12/13 at 11:54am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Schiit Gungnir vs. Asus Essence One Improvement? - Page 2post #17 of 237/30/13 at 1:48pmThread Starter
It is a bit harder for me to compare the mjolnir and the E1 as I went from the E1 to the Decware Taboo MK III.
I received the Mjolnir after I had been using the Taboo for a few months and had already sold the E1 so the only direct comparion I had was between the Mjolnir and the Taboo.
Having said that I did get to compare the Taboo and the E1. The Taboo had a vastly improved soundstage and imaging.
It had increased detail and dynamics. It was pretty much better in every regard to be honest. Of course the Taboo
is 3 times the price of the stock E1 so that is to be expected.
When I compared the Mjolnir to the Taboo they had simliar attributes. It probably had a little more bass slam however the biggest
difference was the reduced soundstage of the Mjolnir. Instruments to the left and right were much closer and after listening to the Taboo
it made the presentation sound a little collapsed. I actually ended up sending the Mjolnir back, it's still a really great amp, other than the soundstage it was really close to the Taboo, at least with the stock tubes installed. If I'm going to have 2 amps I would prefer them to sound less alike the Mjolnir and Taboo.
So I guess in comparison to the E1 the Mjolnir will have greater detail and dynamics. Slightly better bass (if using the Muses opamps, if stock opamps drastically improved bass). It will have more extended highs and greater control over headphones such as orthodynamics ect. Not sure what headphones you are using though so that point might not be relevant.post #18 of 237/31/13 at 12:39ampost #19 of 238/1/13 at 10:10pmQuote:
Do I need to solder LME49720HAs on these adapters or they have a hole and can be put easily in the holes?post #20 of 238/2/13 at 4:59amThread Starterpost #21 of 239/22/13 at 8:16amI have the Asus Essence One Muses Edition and the Mjolnir and I was curious as well how the Gungnir would be as a DAC opposed to the Asus. Right now, it sounds good, but I'm wondering if it could be a lot better.
When I was at a meet one time, I tried the Lyr/Bifrost on the HD650 and it was a lot better than the Muses. The Muses is actually very good with the 650 but not so much with my LCD-3.
I then connected the Lyr to the Muses DAC and it wasn't anything like the Bifrost/Lyr combo on the 650. In fact, it wasn't that much different from my standard Muses edition.
That's why I have such a curiosity for how the Gungnir/Mjolnir sound as opposed to the Muses/Mjolnir sound.
Because the mojo is powerful, there is quite a dynamic, lively difference with the Muses DAC as well as it working it really hot. The bass is there but not as much slam as I was hoping for. Perhaps that is LCD-3's fault.
I live in the DC area and if there is a meet here and someone has this combo, I'll check it out and see if I should just get the Gungnir and use that exclusively with the mojo. I'll never get rid of the Muses though, it is so versatile and sweet sounding with the 650.post #22 of 239/22/13 at 11:18amThread Starter
So are you saying you like the MJ + E1 but wonder if the MJ+Gungnir might sound better?
There is definitely a good possibility it might, especially since Schiit voiced both of those products to be used together.
I don't think it would necessarily be that the E1 was "worse", but that there would be more synergy with the two Schiit products.
Do you think that the Lyr might have been holding the E1 back? Considering that the E1 Muses Edition is substantially more expensive
than the Lyr, and that the E1 sounds well with the MJ.
I completely agree about the E1 not being able to run Audeze cans. It runs out of gas pretty quickly and definitely seems to prefer
higher impedance cans.post #23 of 239/23/13 at 7:52pmI'm sure the MJ & Gungnir would sound better than the E1 & MJ due to the fact that it's a separate DAC & Amp. I think when it's combined, it limits the potential of both parts. Atleast that's the idea that Schiit stands by and I would probably agree.
I don't think price has anything to do with the quality of the products due to the fact that Schiit makes outstanding products affordably. E1 is very affordable for what it does. Muses only cost that much due to the 6 muses opamps inside.
My question is how much better is MJ & Gungnir than the Muses/MJ combo.
Both the Lyr and MJ has a lot of power, way more than the E1. 4 & 5 watts into 50 ohms as opposed to the E1's 610mW into 50 ohms. With orthos, E1 won't cut it but with dynamics, especially Sennheiser, it provides a very clean and tight sound without much noise. It synergizes really well with Senns and it has so much more functions than other amp/dacs on the market.
- Schiit Gungnir vs. Asus Essence One Improvement?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 19 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet @ BottleHeadquarters April 26,2014 6 minutes ago
- › WTB HiFiMAN cable for HE-400 6 minutes ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Post your computer specs!~ 7 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 7 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 8 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob