Hi guys, Im just wondering if there was actually a significant difference between the westone UM3X and the Shure Se535s? I ordered the UM3x red color version and had it for a month or so, and it was primarily because of my great experience from the UM1s I had. Looking back, I realised that the Se535s are priced only slightly higher than my UM3X's and the reviews on earphonesolutions.com seem to say its impeccable in a lot of aspects. Just wondering if i should have chosen the Se535s instead.
Related Forum Threads
- Wetone 4r or Shure se535 ltd or heir audio 4.ai or um3x rc or UE900 Last post on 5/14/13 at 11:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 + "Star" tips versus (W3, W4, UE900, UM3X) Last post on 4/22/13 at 6:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone um3x (I can trade with phonak pfe-232, re272, se535, er4p, earsonic sm3) Last post on 6/7/13 at 1:37am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Westone UM3X, 3, Earsonics SM3, Fidelio L1, Shure SE535, UE900 or other. Only EU Last post on 4/30/13 at 10:56am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Westone um3x and Shure se535 iphone cable on eBay? Last post on 12/1/12 at 4:36pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
A few years ago I was a big fan of the Shuttle Barebone SFF PCs for LAN party gaming. I also was a big fan of surround audio for gaming. I had a soundblaster that days. But the graphics cards grew...
Good solid bass, not very impactful, definitely not for bassheads. Has a warmer feel, and is not very laid back. Also less colored than I would expect. Overall good, as I paid around 120 for...
I joined head-fi specificaly to post this review.... First - my credentials as a headphone user (as far as they go). I've been into hi-fi for 3 decades, and consider myself a reasonably...
Disclaimer: This review isn't based on NwAvguy words and/or the stereotypes arround the ODAC. You won't see me using the words "transparent" and or "clinical". I actually gave the thing an honest...
Asus is a well known tech company. They make laptops, desktops, tablets, motherboards, video cards, and a few other odds and ends. Around here, they are most known for their...
Se535 vs Westone Um3x
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried the UM3x, but have demoed the W4 and SE535 back-to-back (albeit for a short period of time). The W4 should be close-ish to the UM3x at least when compared to the Shures, especially based on what I've read of the UM3x. I can't give you a ton of details, but I can tell you for sure that they have VERY different sound signatures.
The Shure is quite mid-forward... too much so for my taste, at least upon first impression. I would have liked to give it more time, but didn't have the chance to. The W4 sounded much more natural to me and I feel that it would fall into most people's preferred sound. Basically, I'm saying I think you made a good choice unless you really, really like forward mids. I like nice, flat, warm mids, but not FORWARD mids.
The UM3x are better pick because there mids, bass are supperior compared to SE535 and highs have more clarity too (created for stage monitoring) and SE535 for consumer daily commute(to me sound different from orignal Shure E500).
Edited by ZARIM - 10/11/12 at 7:57am
I felt that UM3X is way too rolled off in the treble with some tips, like the foam comply. But it was fairly well balanced with silicone tips. From my experience, multi-driver BAs can change their sound greatly depending on how you fit them in your ears - too much so IMO. I think SE535 is more balanced and lively sounding, but with the wrong tips and fit, the midrange can become overly present and shouty, the highs can sound harsh and the bass can sound detached from the rest of the spectrum. UM3X never sounds harsh which is a good thing in a way and also never sounded obviousily incoherent either (although I think I could still hear the lows, mids and highs playing a bit separately from each other). But it also lacks the sparkle and fun factor that SE535 possesses. One could call UM3X more of a studio monitor, while SE535 sound is more audiophile friendly IMO. With the UM3X, I noticed that the bass, while tight and deep, seemed to suffer from some "plasticy" case resonances - it wasn't very noticeable, but there. SE535 has a somewhat better composed low end IMO, but does lack some sub bass presence compared to UM3X. Overall, SE535 is forward, lively and even aggressive sounding in the highs, while UM3X is softer, smoother, but may seem too dark and boring depending on tastes, fit source, etc. I believe UM3X has the potential to sound more recessed and veiled in the upper frequencies and more boring than the more forward SE535.
- Se535 vs Westone Um3x
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated: 5/23/2013.... 14 seconds ago
- › Panasonic RP-HTX7 MOD to the MAX 15 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Appreciation Thread!! 23 seconds ago
- › Brand New Sennheiser HD 800 Only 5 Hour Of Use 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VC02 - Info & Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K712 PRO Announced 5 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 6 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 6 minutes ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 7 minutes ago
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STU by project86
- › Unique Melody Miracle by lin0003
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by mcook1970
- › Beats Solo by Dr. Dre On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk (White) by TheBrutux168
- › Skullcandy 50/50 - Headset ( in-ear ear-bud ) - white, chrome by TheBrutux168
- › Sennheiser HD-600 by JustinBieber
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe