Hi guys, Im just wondering if there was actually a significant difference between the westone UM3X and the Shure Se535s? I ordered the UM3x red color version and had it for a month or so, and it was primarily because of my great experience from the UM1s I had. Looking back, I realised that the Se535s are priced only slightly higher than my UM3X's and the reviews on earphonesolutions.com seem to say its impeccable in a lot of aspects. Just wondering if i should have chosen the Se535s instead.
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade advice from Westone um3x Last post on 1/15/14 at 3:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- 250-350 USD to blow on a pair of IEMs, need help Last post on 9/21/13 at 2:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread Last post on 12/14/13 at 10:54pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- SE535 + "Star" tips versus (W3, W4, UE900, UM3X) Last post on 4/22/13 at 6:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone um3x Last post on 6/7/13 at 1:37am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Se535 vs Westone Um3xpost #1 of 810/10/12 at 11:42pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 810/10/12 at 11:42pmThread Starterpost #3 of 810/11/12 at 6:45am
I haven't tried the UM3x, but have demoed the W4 and SE535 back-to-back (albeit for a short period of time). The W4 should be close-ish to the UM3x at least when compared to the Shures, especially based on what I've read of the UM3x. I can't give you a ton of details, but I can tell you for sure that they have VERY different sound signatures.
The Shure is quite mid-forward... too much so for my taste, at least upon first impression. I would have liked to give it more time, but didn't have the chance to. The W4 sounded much more natural to me and I feel that it would fall into most people's preferred sound. Basically, I'm saying I think you made a good choice unless you really, really like forward mids. I like nice, flat, warm mids, but not FORWARD mids.post #4 of 810/11/12 at 6:50ampost #5 of 810/11/12 at 7:54am
The UM3x are better pick because there mids, bass are supperior compared to SE535 and highs have more clarity too (created for stage monitoring) and SE535 for consumer daily commute(to me sound different from orignal Shure E500).
Edited by ZARIM - 10/11/12 at 7:57ampost #6 of 810/11/12 at 8:14ampost #7 of 810/11/12 at 10:18am
I felt that UM3X is way too rolled off in the treble with some tips, like the foam comply. But it was fairly well balanced with silicone tips. From my experience, multi-driver BAs can change their sound greatly depending on how you fit them in your ears - too much so IMO. I think SE535 is more balanced and lively sounding, but with the wrong tips and fit, the midrange can become overly present and shouty, the highs can sound harsh and the bass can sound detached from the rest of the spectrum. UM3X never sounds harsh which is a good thing in a way and also never sounded obviousily incoherent either (although I think I could still hear the lows, mids and highs playing a bit separately from each other). But it also lacks the sparkle and fun factor that SE535 possesses. One could call UM3X more of a studio monitor, while SE535 sound is more audiophile friendly IMO. With the UM3X, I noticed that the bass, while tight and deep, seemed to suffer from some "plasticy" case resonances - it wasn't very noticeable, but there. SE535 has a somewhat better composed low end IMO, but does lack some sub bass presence compared to UM3X. Overall, SE535 is forward, lively and even aggressive sounding in the highs, while UM3X is softer, smoother, but may seem too dark and boring depending on tastes, fit source, etc. I believe UM3X has the potential to sound more recessed and veiled in the upper frequencies and more boring than the more forward SE535.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Se535 vs Westone Um3x
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Chord Hugo 15 seconds ago
- › The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH 900 – Modifications – Worth it? 37 seconds ago
- › Bose QC20 or Shure SE425 56 seconds ago
- › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 1 minute ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!! 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob