Hi guys, Im just wondering if there was actually a significant difference between the westone UM3X and the Shure Se535s? I ordered the UM3x red color version and had it for a month or so, and it was primarily because of my great experience from the UM1s I had. Looking back, I realised that the Se535s are priced only slightly higher than my UM3X's and the reviews on earphonesolutions.com seem to say its impeccable in a lot of aspects. Just wondering if i should have chosen the Se535s instead.
Related Forum Threads
- Wetone 4r or Shure se535 ltd or heir audio 4.ai or um3x rc or UE900 Last post on 5/14/13 at 11:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 + "Star" tips versus (W3, W4, UE900, UM3X) Last post on 4/22/13 at 6:54pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone um3x (I can trade with phonak pfe-232, re272, se535, er4p, earsonic sm3) Last post on 2/12/13 at 7:13pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Westone UM3X, 3, Earsonics SM3, Fidelio L1, Shure SE535, UE900 or other. Only EU Last post on 4/30/13 at 10:56am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Westone um3x and Shure se535 iphone cable on eBay? Last post on 12/1/12 at 4:36pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
This is one of the last things you need to upgrade when your making your portable rig. Vs the fiio L9 this lod cable was a big step up. The first thing that will hit you is the increase in...
Thanks to NoiseHush for the review sample!! Here we have the NoiseHush i7 Noise Cancelling headphones. These headphones have some high points, but fall a bit short in terms of...
Introduction First off, I’d like to thank the folks at Audio-Technica for the sample of the WS77 for review. Yes, I’ve been on something of a roll recently with Audio-Technica...
(caution: this is a long review (I know this because I just typed it out in Word and it spanned 7 pages!) I think this is a long awaited review of the 1Plus2s. I've had the stock cable for...
I have been looking for "THAT" amp, the one for me. I tried a WA6SE, and it had a problem with distorted bass. I have the Lyr, but looking to upgrade. The soloist is really the only other amp...
Se535 vs Westone Um3x
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried the UM3x, but have demoed the W4 and SE535 back-to-back (albeit for a short period of time). The W4 should be close-ish to the UM3x at least when compared to the Shures, especially based on what I've read of the UM3x. I can't give you a ton of details, but I can tell you for sure that they have VERY different sound signatures.
The Shure is quite mid-forward... too much so for my taste, at least upon first impression. I would have liked to give it more time, but didn't have the chance to. The W4 sounded much more natural to me and I feel that it would fall into most people's preferred sound. Basically, I'm saying I think you made a good choice unless you really, really like forward mids. I like nice, flat, warm mids, but not FORWARD mids.
The UM3x are better pick because there mids, bass are supperior compared to SE535 and highs have more clarity too (created for stage monitoring) and SE535 for consumer daily commute(to me sound different from orignal Shure E500).
Edited by ZARIM - 10/11/12 at 7:57am
I felt that UM3X is way too rolled off in the treble with some tips, like the foam comply. But it was fairly well balanced with silicone tips. From my experience, multi-driver BAs can change their sound greatly depending on how you fit them in your ears - too much so IMO. I think SE535 is more balanced and lively sounding, but with the wrong tips and fit, the midrange can become overly present and shouty, the highs can sound harsh and the bass can sound detached from the rest of the spectrum. UM3X never sounds harsh which is a good thing in a way and also never sounded obviousily incoherent either (although I think I could still hear the lows, mids and highs playing a bit separately from each other). But it also lacks the sparkle and fun factor that SE535 possesses. One could call UM3X more of a studio monitor, while SE535 sound is more audiophile friendly IMO. With the UM3X, I noticed that the bass, while tight and deep, seemed to suffer from some "plasticy" case resonances - it wasn't very noticeable, but there. SE535 has a somewhat better composed low end IMO, but does lack some sub bass presence compared to UM3X. Overall, SE535 is forward, lively and even aggressive sounding in the highs, while UM3X is softer, smoother, but may seem too dark and boring depending on tastes, fit source, etc. I believe UM3X has the potential to sound more recessed and veiled in the upper frequencies and more boring than the more forward SE535.
- Se535 vs Westone Um3x
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 20 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › DIY paint job gallery 1 minute ago
- › Review: 1964 Ears V3 triple driver custom IEM (updated 10/24/12) 1 minute ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Got the Sennheiser 600, now looking for closed headphones. AKG 550... 2 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S - Any Reviews Yet? 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works 5 minutes ago
- › ALO audio 22awg OCC Cryo Dock by David Chavez
- › NoiseHush i7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Black - Retail by pro1137
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe