Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Cypher labs product!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Cypher labs product! - Page 21

post #301 of 352

finally i sold one of my headphone so I can buy balance cable...darthsmile.gif

it's present to myself!

post #302 of 352

I had the opportunity to hear the Solo -dB at Jabens in Hong Kong. Since my Classic is Rockboxed, we hooked it up to my iPad Mini which involved some cable complexity but worked perfectly.

 

 

1000

 

Listening through my Stepdance and ES5 (single-ended, the same rig that I used to use with the original CLAS), I thought that it sounded very good. I have not had the CLAS for a few months - I liked it a lot but sold it because of my love of Rockbox which is now stable on the Classic. Comparisons are therefore difficult. I think that the -dB may be a bit warmer. I can confirm that the lower volume output is a big advantage for sensitive IEMs like the ES5. Add in the charging and and computer DAC, the offering is quite compelling.

 

I did not listen to the -dB for very long because it does not meet my practical requirements. I am a Rockbox guy on the road which necessitates keeping things simple. However I was impressed during my brief listen. It does sound very nice, as did the original CLAS. 


Edited by cooperpwc - 12/11/12 at 10:52pm
post #303 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

I still have the original -dB with 1.2V (even less than the fixed -dB with 1.69V) and with the Rx Mk3 (gain lowered) I still don't get a black background with my FitEar TG!334. Despite that, I'm enjoying my -dB in balanced (custom balanced cable) and for me at least, it's an improvement over the old CLAS.

 

I just received my fixed -dB back from ALO.  Was curious about the possible output voltage change to 1.69v.  When used as a source to my home stereo system, the output voltage of the original unit was low enough that full volume was was only modestly loud.  The fixed unit was not appreciably louder.  I don't have the ability to measure the output voltage, but it doesn't appear that the updates to correct the balanced output issue also included an output voltage change.  If we are at 1.69v rms, it was a change made with the production units from the beginning.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by motion51 View Post


http://audio-head.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-db-review/
I just read this over, hope this helps.
 

I do agree with the review in that the sound from my computer (MacBook Pro, Pure Music) is noticeably better than directly from my iPhone 4s with the same sources.  Higher resolution sources through the computer make an even larger difference.

post #304 of 352

i just got the balance cable and plug it into mk3b.

Yes, IT is MinD blowing difference!!!  I need more to time listen and I would like compare with intruder and sr71b with balance mode.

post #305 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

i just got the balance cable and plug it into mk3b.

Yes, IT is MinD blowing difference!!!  I need more to time listen and I would like compare with intruder and sr71b with balance mode.

 

Please let us know when you compare. I have the SR71B balanced with the Cypher-db and I'd love to know how it stands up to MKIII and Intruder.

post #306 of 352

hi.

 

Here is the little review on the Intruder, MK3b and sr71b.

first off...my headphone is HD800 cable I was using Blue Dragon Balance cable V2 or V3 i can't remember.

Balance cable was ALO balance cable.

Ipod 160g.

 

The music:

Shelly Berg Trio.

Bebel Gilberto.

Jobim.

Piazzola.

Mahler symphones.

Ravel orchestral music.

 

1st: Sr71B - Clas dB - Ipod. - hd800:

Sr71B sound thin and less body to the music.  that's generally I'm speaking about sound.  It has all good stuff like separation instruments and clear.

 

2nd.  The Intruder - Clas dB - Ipod - hd800:

This amp gave the full body to the sound, define sound, top to bottom.  It also added some kick in the bass.  I felt more depth through my hd800.  I sense more stage through the intruder.  It also gave me clear coloration through hd800.

 

3rd.  MK3B:

It has everything I said above.  this amp has bright sound, it's bright that it's more pale coloration top to bottom.  it adds depth to music and all, but through hd800 sounded too pale.

 

Conclusion is I like the intruder because It gave pleasure to my ears....Some might has different opinion but it's short opinion.

 

Thanks


Edited by gmahler2u - 12/18/12 at 12:22pm
post #307 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post

hi.

 

Here is the little review on the Intruder, MK3b and sr71b.

first off...my headphone is HD800 cable I was using Blue Dragon Balance cable V2 or V3 i can't remember.

Balance cable was ALO balance cable.

Ipod 160g.

 

The music:

Shelly Berg Trio.

Bebel Gilberto.

Jobim.

Piazzola.

Mahler symphones.

Ravel orchestral music.

 

1st: Sr71B - Clas dB - Ipod. - hd800:

Sr71B sound thin and less body to the music.  that's generally I'm speaking about sound.  It has all good stuff like separation instruments and clear.

 

2nd.  The Intruder - Clas dB - Ipod - hd800:

This amp gave the full body to the sound, define sound, top to bottom.  It also added some kick in the bass.  I felt more depth through my hd800.  I sense more stage through the intruder.  It also gave me clear coloration through hd800.

 

3rd.  MK3B:

It has everything I said above.  this amp has bright sound, it's bright that it's more pale coloration top to bottom.  it adds depth to music and all, but through hd800 sounded too pale.

 

Conclusion is I like the intruder because It gave pleasure to my ears....Some might has different opinion but it's short opinion.

 

Thanks

Thanks for the comparison. Could you do the same same comparison but instead of using the hd800 use your iems?

post #308 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

Thanks for the comparison. Could you do the same same comparison but instead of using the hd800 use your iems?

ok...give me some time...

post #309 of 352

I have brief impressions on sr71b, the intruder, and mk3b.

same setup as previous.

 

Here is the little review on the Intruder, MK3b and sr71b.

first off...my headphone is HD800 cable I was using Blue Dragon Balance cable V2 or V3 i can't remember.

Balance cable was ALO balance cable.

Ipod 160g.

 

now, i'm using the JH16 and after market cable (Whiplash V2)

1st. sr71b.  I felt this amp and Jh16 perfect match.  not too overkill, it has clear top to bottom.

it helps bring out what jh16 can do.  it's not bright and yes Ray Samuel has dark signature.  I guess that's what I

like about this amp and the intruder.

 

2nd, the intruder, it has similar dark signature sound.  It has clear sound and gives depth to the jh16.  It gives body to the music (21 gain really helps)

However, this intruder is tad overkill, if you're using high gain...(prefer middle)  other then that I'm really glad i got this.

 

3rd. MK3b...previously, i mention about bit too bright with my HD800.  this time, it sounds muffled and i felt some stage depth and all.  It doesn't really have clarity with my jh16. 

 

Overall, Mk3b was my least loved amp and sr71b was favorite/the intruder.

 

hope this help.

post #310 of 352

Anyone have any idea why ALO Audio no longer has the new Solo db listed on their site? Did they drop it as a product recently?

post #311 of 352

CLAS -dB (V0.1) + Rx Mk3 + FitEar TG!334 (000 balanced) vs CLAS -dB (V1.0) + SR-71B + UM Merlin (Beat Audio Cronus balanced)

 

1000

 

1000

 

I have to say, even though a balanced IC improves the SR-71B a lot, it's still not my cup of tea. Maybe it's really more suited for large "hard to drive" cans.

post #312 of 352

I left my preliminary CLAS -dB impressions in the CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo Impressions thread :-

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549750/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-discussion-and-impressions-thread/1080#post_8988538

post #313 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Anyone have any idea why ALO Audio no longer has the new Solo db listed on their site? Did they drop it as a product recently?

ALO even disappear from cypherlabs's authorized distributors list: http://cypherlabs.com/distributors.

post #314 of 352
Deleted by member
Edited by Saraguie - 12/26/12 at 10:54pm
post #315 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by llort swen View Post

ALO even disappear from cypherlabs's authorized distributors list: http://cypherlabs.com/distributors.

I have been informed by ALO that they won't carry cypherlabs anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › New Cypher labs product!