New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brainwavz R1 Review - Page 36

post #526 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunGrave View Post

OK, I understand. However, I think it is very misleading to make such modifications. The original review-er never specified that what he had was an engineering sample (did he even know?). IMHO a product sent for review should be as close as possible to the one that the consumer will buy, otherwise this type of reviews cannot be trusted.

Supposed I really wanted a  certain type of earbuds that I know fit my ears and imagine my surprise when the ordered packaged does not contain them and the IEM don't perform that well as a result. This is especially the case for Brainwavz earphones that do not have the standard earbud inner diameter(like Senn,  AKG, Xears, etc).

 

Well in fairness we do state the listed accessories on our site. D2K didn't get a engineering sample, the earbuds that were to be included were not ready, so we sent the eartips from the M5, sorry for any confusion. You can always send the earphones back for a full refund if you are not happy with them.

post #527 of 791

Oh I did, but you see, 6 pair of ear tips is not really saying much. The design can vary a lot.

As for modifications, they could just go with revision numbers, it would make things easier for the custom to understand.

 

Off topic: J cords awful ? I love J cords and can't find a single bonus about Y cords except in the case where the IEMS are over-the-ear design.

post #528 of 791

Chewbacca defence?

post #529 of 791

Are they bass-heavy?

post #530 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

Are they bass-heavy?

 

Yes, bass and treble :p 

post #531 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Just changing the tips on the R1 from the stock flange tips to the foam tips makes a big change in the sound also.

 

I have been in the process of returning my R1's simply because I went on a head-fi induced iem purchasing spree, and I can't keep them all (I'm surprised that I got one pair of iem's let alone 4 pairs lol!). The problem though is that whenever I do A-Bing with my new FXD70's (which to be fair have not yet been burned in), I really enjoy the sound of the R1's (with foam tips) - nice bass and warmer sound. I switched back to the flange tips, and to me it lessens the bass a bit and makes the phones a bit brighter with more details. So with either tips, the R1's really sound nice to my ears. Once I get my other iem's in, it will be very interesting to do A-B-C-D'ing. And maybe I will decide that I do need 4 pairs of iems after all lol!


Yeah tell me about it, CKM500, FXD80, HAS500 and R1. That is why I dont visit HF often biggrin.gif . I dont know if I want to use the foam tips , bass is more than enough for me and I like the detail. But ill give it a shot. Those carbon nano tubes need lots of beating. I tried fxd70, compared to R1 I think 70 would make R1 sounds warmer. Have you tried amping R1? Let us know.

post #532 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Lol - ok. If it makes you feel any better, I seem to have bizarro ear-canals. Actually, my right one seems fine, but my left one seem smaller and at a wierd angle - quite a bit more difficult to get anything to fit. Trying to get the fxd70's to stay in it is the worst... put it in.. plunk - it falls out lol! No wonder I avoided iem's for so long lol!

These FXDs are quite weighty, I always wear my 80 over the ear.

post #533 of 791

Finally! After having issues with the suctoms and mr R1 being held for about 20 days I received it today. The midbass is a little bit too much -I don't know if it will settle after the burning in but as it is, it has better speed and body than the mh1c's bass. The mids are slightly recessed (and I mean slightly - nothing like the Gr02 Bass) with good details. The treble is also a little but too much (just as I like it) but has a nice sparkle. The soundstage is good with above average width and good positioning. Without any burn-in I have to say the R1 is pretty good for its price.

post #534 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomo View Post

These FXDs are quite weighty, I always wear my 80 over the ear.

 

Yes, I have been wearing the 70's over my ears for a while now, and that solves that issue. And the foam tips works for me as well (taming the treble a bit). They sound very nicely balanced and detailed now :)

post #535 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

Are they bass-heavy?

I wouldn't say they are very bass heavy, after a while the bass seems to mellow out and the whole sound is really enjoyable

post #536 of 791

Yeah, but they have some weight on bass FWIR and that responds to my question, thanks :-)

post #537 of 791

One of my comply tips have torn and I am looking to get a set of replacements but I don't know which models fit. Can anyone give me advice on which ones will work.
 

post #538 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudJack View Post

One of my comply tips have torn and I am looking to get a set of replacements but I don't know which models fit. Can anyone give me advice on which ones will work.
 

 

400's and 500's will fit nicely

post #539 of 791

I have found a way to increase the sound stage and make it even wider while keeping the bass and general sound signature the same!

 

I took out the plastic centre from the Comply tips the R1's came with and stuffed the foam into the base (bigger) silicon part of the double silicon tip.

 

Then I took one of the small tips that I would never used and removed the plastic tube center and cut it in half.

 

I placed each half of the 1mm-ish tubes on the headphone then placed the Double Flange tip with the comply foam on that.

 

The little tube acts as a spacer and the comply foam provides that great seal and a little extra stiffness to the super-hybrid-makeshift-tip. The in-ear depth is the same as usual but since the drivers are farther away it seems to open up the soundstage ever more. I can also find better comfort and a much better seal faster with this mod.

 

Found the inspiration here: http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=902.0

 

I hope that I provided a good enough explanation on how to do this modification! :)

post #540 of 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid404 View Post

I have found a way to increase the sound stage and make it even wider while keeping the bass and general sound signature the same!

 

I took out the plastic centre from the Comply tips the R1's came with and stuffed the foam into the base (bigger) silicon part of the double silicon tip.

 

Then I took one of the small tips that I would never used and removed the plastic tube center and cut it in half.

 

I placed each half of the 1mm-ish tubes on the headphone then placed the Double Flange tip with the comply foam on that.

 

The little tube acts as a spacer and the comply foam provides that great seal and a little extra stiffness to the super-hybrid-makeshift-tip. The in-ear depth is the same as usual but since the drivers are farther away it seems to open up the soundstage ever more. I can also find better comfort and a much better seal faster with this mod.

 

Found the inspiration here: http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=902.0

 

I hope that I provided a good enough explanation on how to do this modification! :)

 

That's pretty cool! I'd be tempted to do it if I wasn't using my R1 foam tips on the fxd70's right now (and enjoying them so much). Hmm.. I think I need more foam/comply tips lol!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: