Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What should be my first open back headphone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What should be my first open back headphone? - Page 3

post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala View Post

Well, I've been told that I won't to need an amp with the HE-400, which I'm assuming to be a half-truth and that the SQ of the HE-400 scales up quite a bit with a decent desktop amp. Would my E!& be sufficient?

I use my E10 as a bedside rig with the HE-400s, and it's more than enough. They don't need a really powerful amp, but they might need something more than a stock sound card or a DAP. The E17 + HE-400 sounds fantastic, so you really don't have a need to buy anything else. They scale up if you're interested. 

post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

I use my E10 as a bedside rig with the HE-400s, and it's more than enough. They don't need a really powerful amp, but they might need something more than a stock sound card or a DAP. The E17 + HE-400 sounds fantastic, so you really don't have a need to buy anything else. They scale up if you're interested. 

I do like hearing that there's good synergy between the E17 and the HE-400. It makes my credit card get all tingly and such. At this point transitioning and adjusting to an open-ear delivery and the additional boost in sound quality (I'm assuming) will be scaling up enough for me. Perhaps down the road another amp.

 

The 4.Ai is soooooo pretty though, lol.

post #33 of 44
Twin would you tell him the Heir Audio over the W4?
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Twin would you tell him the Heir Audio over the W4?

I literally had the 4.Ai in my ears for less than a minute before someone took them. The line up for these at the mini-meet was quite long (even though there was like 10 or so people there). The 4.Ai were mostly neutral, slightly clearer, with a tint of treble emphasis (that's from trying 1-2 songs). For that kind of sound sig, I would still take the PFE232 over the Heirs. But the impressions were so short, I'm sure I would have been more impressed if I had a hour or so with them. They look drool-inducing though, and feel soooo nice in the hands. The craftmanship is immensely good. 

post #35 of 44
Cool. I'd imagine the 8 BA CIEM version is something to behold.... One day....
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Cool. I'd imagine the 8 BA CIEM version is something to behold.... One day....

No! Don't even mention those! Must...save...for...C4s....oh...gawd...my...wallet...

post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Twin would you tell him the Heir Audio over the W4?

I've been curious about this as well.

 

Right now the determining factor between a full-sized headphone and an IEM does not come down to sound. I know the 4.Ai will wow me, because I haven't been spoiled by the best of the best. Right now the decision comes down to convenience, portability, comfort and whether or not 6 months down the line I'll be buying audio cables blessed by the pope in order to make it sound like there's a cello player sitting on my lap.

post #38 of 44
Thread Starter 

So...

 

after much consideration, research, number crunching, and general daydreaming I ordered a pair of Audeze LCD 2s.

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala View Post

So...

 

after much consideration, research, number crunching, and general daydreaming I ordered a pair of Audeze LCD 2s.

blink.gif That's a big jump! Hope you like them as much as I do.

post #40 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

blink.gif That's a big jump! Hope you like them as much as I do.

You know it's just kind of one of those things....

 

Have you ever played chess? well if you have, you know that one of the keys to the game is to be able to anticipate your opponent next move, or series of moves. In this case, that opponent is myself. If I ended up buying the HiFiMans and liking them, which I'm sure I would, I would invariably end up getting the itch to upgrade sooner or later, so the natural trajectory would, from everything I've heard and read, lead me to want a pair anyways, so I've effectively saved myself money by eliminating whatever purchases I would have made in the interim. So, there you have it, the Audeze LCD2: best budget headphone ever.

 

Besides, what are the chances that I'll listen to them and think they sound like farting through a kazoo, (unless, of course, I happen to be listening to an HD recording of someone farting through a kazoo)?

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala View Post

You know it's just kind of one of those things....

 

Have you ever played chess? well if you have, you know that one of the keys to the game is to be able to anticipate your opponent next move, or series of moves. In this case, that opponent is myself. If I ended up buying the HiFiMans and liking them, which I'm sure I would, I would invariably end up getting the itch to upgrade sooner or later, so the natural trajectory would, from everything I've heard and read, lead me to want a pair anyways, so I've effectively saved myself money by eliminating whatever purchases I would have made in the interim. So, there you have it, the Audeze LCD2: best budget headphone ever.

 

Besides, what are the chances that I'll listen to them and think they sound like farting through a kazoo, (unless, of course, I happen to be listening to an HD recording of someone farting through a kazoo)?

Hey, you making fun of my mint pressed kazoo vinyls? mad.gif

 

But I agree, if there ever was a feeling that you'd be compromising with the HE-400s, especially if you knew that the sound signature wasn't right for you, the LCD-2 would have been the best choice in the end. Can't say I play chess, but I'm a decent Go player if I do say so myself.

 

Oh, forgot to ask, what's the rest of the rig?

post #42 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Hey, you making fun of my mint pressed kazoo vinyls? mad.gif

 

But I agree, if there ever was a feeling that you'd be compromising with the HE-400s, especially if you knew that the sound signature wasn't right for you, the LCD-2 would have been the best choice in the end. Can't say I play chess, but I'm a decent Go player if I do say so myself.

 

Oh, forgot to ask, what's the rest of the rig?

Haha, I don't know yet. I know, It's definitely a 'ready, fire, AIM!' way of going about things, but pining over the options and learning something in the process is all part of the fun.

post #43 of 44
great choice on the Audeze ... of course make sure you NEVER listen to the LCD 3s.
post #44 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu View Post

great choice on the Audeze ... of course make sure you NEVER listen to the LCD 3s.

 

Lol, yeah, that's my understanding. I'm still in the denial stage though, where I think I can put this rig together and not have a second thought about upgrading any part of the chain or having a side rig. Let's see how that goes...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What should be my first open back headphone?