1. That specific headphones are only more detailed due to extra treble
2. Headphones are more neutral if they have less treble and are warmer. Extra treble is bad, but being very very warm is perfectly OK!
3. That a neutral and completely flat headphone actually exists..I haven't heard one yet. Every one has some coloration. Instead I will look for what sounds balanced to my ears.
4. That equipment that measures flat all sounds the same. Or that amps are always dead neutral. I sure wish that was true!
5. That FLAC nearly always sounds better than a 190kbps mp3. I'd rather take a good recording in 192kbps any day over a poor recording in FLAC. Well, duh.
6. That a headphone lacks bass, but it's actually just the headphone being accurate to the recording and not screwing it up.
7. That just because you can't hear a difference between cables doesn't mean someone else possibly could.
8. That there is such a thing as a "best" headphone for EVERYONE under $300, $500, $1000 etc. What's best for me is not best for you.
9. That every expensive headphone scales up magically with specific gear. I think people randomly come up with this crap. I'm sure it's true for some headphones.
10. A headphone is automatically easy to drive if it's under 55 ohm.
11. Headphone graphs are very reliable and accurate
12. Bass heavy headphones have little bass bleed.
13. A headphone that costs more is nearly always better.
14. A headphone without a mid-bass hump lacks bass.
15. That if a recording sounds bad, it must be the headphone's fault.
16. That all the popular gear on head-fi is actually the best. Sometimes..
17. Every headphone will sound the same for everyone
18. That the HD-600 is actually very neutral Pretty close I guess.
19. The bigger the amp the more powerful it is
20. That a computer DAC is like 10x better than a high quality full sized CD player.
21. If you don't have a computer DAC you're not really hearing your fancy headphone.
22. That a 10ohm output jack automatically ruins every headphone with a lower impedance. Yet the person never has tried it.
23. That a receiver is not good for headphones AT ALL. Sometimes they are and sometimes not.
24. That a headphone can't possibly sound much different with other gear. At one point I hated the HD-650 and K702 with the wrong setup (probably colored amp/dac)
25. No such thing as amp/dac synergy
26. That an amp that measures ruler flat is automatically good with every headphone (as long as it can drive it properly).
27. A headphone manufacturer can't change a headphones sound signature without telling us.
28. That the Q701 sounds 100% identical to the K702 .. or wait the HD-598 sounds the same as the HD-595.
29. That the E9 is a horrible match for anything that costs more than the amp itself!!
Edited by tdockweiler - 10/9/12 at 11:01am