- 129 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryDACstagged by System, 10/10/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 10/10/12
- productONKYO nd s1tagged by System, 10/10/12
- productWadia 171i Transport for iPhone/iPod/iPad with Digital Audio Out (Black)tagged by System, 10/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC question and ipod/portable players Last post on 2/18/14 at 6:37pm in Computer Audio
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Clas or fostex ? Last post on 9/12/12 at 3:34am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
whats the point of a digital transport?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
1) You can't just use a USB Cable out to a DAC unless its an iPad+CCK or some of those iPhones with some software tweaking involved
2) Depending on the gear downstream from there, it might make an easily appreciable difference between hooking up the iDevice lineout to the amp or getting a digital stream out of it.
For the most part, a $200 or so digital transport plus an iPod Classic gets you a digital stream (through SPDIF, and not USB - but both have their own performance advantages) with lots of storage, especially if most of your music is on ALAC. And some can be had used for a lot less money than a Touch iven they are strictly music-only devices, so you expand storage by getting another iPod.
Personally the way you can just DLNA uncompressed audio out of a Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500gb nowadays, and most headphone-related DACs (ie, those that have a headphone driver circuit built into them) have USB, and if you already have an iPad anyway, this would be the alternative that can give you both storage and a digital stream to a separate DAC.
A DAC is a "Digital-to Analog Converter". An analog signal from an iPod is already converted by the DAC in the iPod. An analog line-out would go straight to an amp.
Hope that helps...
If I am not mistaken, one of the connections in the iPod socket bypasses the on-board DAC and amp and makes a digital signal available for the dock to receive (or a DAC if you have a special connector). The Onkyo dock looks like it takes the digital signal and allows it to be sent via SPDIF or optical to an external DAC/Amp. This allows you to tailor your sound preferences by deciding what DAC and Amp you want to use. Sometimes people aren't happy with sound straight from the player. A transport/dock gives them the flexibility to experiment.
Did that help?
Edited by HK_sends - 10/9/12 at 4:26pm
As I mentioned, you can get a digital signal from the connector, so it should be feasable for a LOD cable to be wired for digital vice analog...I just don't know how common that is.
Edited by HK_sends - 10/9/12 at 4:33pm
Normally yes ; but keep in mind the whole concept of a dock connector which puts every pin for every imaginable purpose save for the headphone and microphone. some of the pins are for power, some for analog line out, some for the digital data transfer which can be unlocked by a chip to be used as a digital stream. So while normally the LODs we refer to have 3.5mm jacks (or 2xRCA) custome LODs bundled with the Fostex HP-P1 for example are basically the reverse of a Belkin charge-only cable, ie, they are short, data-only cables - since such portable one-box DAC+Amp devices have no traditional dock that keeps the device "standing up" as on an Onkyo NDS-1 or Wadia 170.
Edited by Happytalk - 1/4/15 at 3:48pm
So are there any newer versions/improvements on digital transport devices for an ipod classic other than the onkyo and wadia? Any really good affordable DAC's that are compatible with IPod Classics? I'm holding out for a slightly more ideal/affordable/natural sounding DAP to materialize, so it's the ipod until then. However I would like to have the convenience of accessing the digital data from my ipod classic and using a better DAC for a stereo and for headphones. When I do finally buy the next DAP the iPod will still be used plenty, especially if I can get the files directly off of it. Just curious if there a more recent versions of data transfer devices or DACs that are head-fi approved.
There was the NuForce that came out a bit later than those. Apart from that, the newer units aren't pure iDevice transports, but DAC-HPamps with dedicated iDevice inputs, like the Shanling below. This is likely primarily due to Apple focusing more on the touchscreen devices, and at some point it was discovered that it would generally be pointless to pay for the license to use that dedicated Apple chip unlocking USB audio streaming when any consumer can just get a Camera Connection Kit USB adapter for their iPad. iOS7 later enabled it for the iPhone, perhaps with Apple realizing that the jig was up anyway and they'd make more money keeping people buying iDevices (note that some iPads, inculding my iPad2, lost all USB audio capabilities with iOS6.3.1) before everyone who isn't a straight out Apple fan goes for Androids compatible with USB devices through the OTG adapter.
Thanks. After a lot of reading, I thought the nuforce wouldn't work for some reason. Maybe quality control issues, if I remember correctly. I think the onkyo can be found for less $. However I don't think I would be able to feed it into my Odac DAC. The odac just has a mini USB input.
It was probably the published specs. Initially NuForce published that it works off iTunes, and lists file format compatibility on the site, with only the file formats compatible with iTunes. So for a time, many people who aren't hardcore Apple fans didn't buy it thinking it was locked into using iTunes, the same way that the 4g/5g iPods (and the Classic) would not work on docks if you're running Rockbox. I only found out this wasn't the case (ie it worked with other player apps, and also other formats as long as that player can run it, like FLAC on FLACPlayer) when it was on sale for $99 as it was getting phased out. By that time though I was already using my SGS3 with an OTG cable.
- whats the point of a digital transport?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Westone W60 Impressions Thread 9 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 34 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › The Head-Fi Times "A Ghetto burnout newspaper" 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 2 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › oBravo Planar Magnetic Earphones Land in UK 5 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 6 minutes ago
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...