- 91 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryDACstagged by System, 10/10/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 10/10/12
- productONKYO nd s1tagged by System, 10/10/12
- productWadia 171i Transport for iPhone/iPod/iPad with Digital Audio Out (Black)tagged by System, 10/10/12
Related Forum Threads
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC question and ipod/portable players Last post on 11/18/12 at 5:58pm in Computer Audio
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Clas or fostex ? Last post on 9/12/12 at 3:34am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
whats the point of a digital transport?post #1 of 1010/8/12 at 4:27amThread StarterWhat's the reason why you would want to use a digital transport like the Onkyo ND-S1 or Wadia 171i? Is there a difference between them and a USB cable out to a DAC?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1010/8/12 at 7:08am
1) You can't just use a USB Cable out to a DAC unless its an iPad+CCK or some of those iPhones with some software tweaking involved
2) Depending on the gear downstream from there, it might make an easily appreciable difference between hooking up the iDevice lineout to the amp or getting a digital stream out of it.
For the most part, a $200 or so digital transport plus an iPod Classic gets you a digital stream (through SPDIF, and not USB - but both have their own performance advantages) with lots of storage, especially if most of your music is on ALAC. And some can be had used for a lot less money than a Touch iven they are strictly music-only devices, so you expand storage by getting another iPod.
Personally the way you can just DLNA uncompressed audio out of a Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500gb nowadays, and most headphone-related DACs (ie, those that have a headphone driver circuit built into them) have USB, and if you already have an iPad anyway, this would be the alternative that can give you both storage and a digital stream to a separate DAC.post #3 of 1010/9/12 at 10:30amThread Starterpost #4 of 1010/9/12 at 4:13pm
A DAC is a "Digital-to Analog Converter". An analog signal from an iPod is already converted by the DAC in the iPod. An analog line-out would go straight to an amp.
Hope that helps...
-HK sendspost #5 of 1010/9/12 at 4:16pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1010/9/12 at 4:25pm
If I am not mistaken, one of the connections in the iPod socket bypasses the on-board DAC and amp and makes a digital signal available for the dock to receive (or a DAC if you have a special connector). The Onkyo dock looks like it takes the digital signal and allows it to be sent via SPDIF or optical to an external DAC/Amp. This allows you to tailor your sound preferences by deciding what DAC and Amp you want to use. Sometimes people aren't happy with sound straight from the player. A transport/dock gives them the flexibility to experiment.
Did that help?
Edited by HK_sends - 10/9/12 at 4:26pmpost #7 of 1010/9/12 at 4:30pm
As I mentioned, you can get a digital signal from the connector, so it should be feasable for a LOD cable to be wired for digital vice analog...I just don't know how common that is.
Edited by HK_sends - 10/9/12 at 4:33pmpost #8 of 1010/9/12 at 10:40pmQuote:
Normally yes ; but keep in mind the whole concept of a dock connector which puts every pin for every imaginable purpose save for the headphone and microphone. some of the pins are for power, some for analog line out, some for the digital data transfer which can be unlocked by a chip to be used as a digital stream. So while normally the LODs we refer to have 3.5mm jacks (or 2xRCA) custome LODs bundled with the Fostex HP-P1 for example are basically the reverse of a Belkin charge-only cable, ie, they are short, data-only cables - since such portable one-box DAC+Amp devices have no traditional dock that keeps the device "standing up" as on an Onkyo NDS-1 or Wadia 170.post #9 of 1010/10/12 at 8:08am
- whats the point of a digital transport?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 second ago
- › Koss ProDJ100 with Fiio E6 AMP vs Audio Technica ATH M50 49 seconds ago
- › need help upgrading USB cable 56 seconds ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 1 minute ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 minute ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Best headphones for Classical music? 3 minutes ago
- › Atrios MG7/Universals Discontinued?? 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Sicher
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe