New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphone reccomendation

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hi I just joined this forum as you can see, and I want a reccomendation by you guys about a headphone. The story is that I have a shure 215 that I use to listen from my ipod and laptop, they are nice earphones with clear sounds (at least from my extremely limited experience). But I want a non in ear headphone, the shure 215 start to feel uncomfortable after couple hour of use.

I am not sure if I want an amp since this would be most likely used using an ipod or other portable device on the go(unless there is a really small amp that I don't know). Open or sealed/closed generally doesn't matter since most of the time I am out in rather quiet places, I prefer something light and known to be comfy, I have up to 500 + budget for this purchase

 

So any reccomendation and any reason why? Link to reviews too

post #2 of 18

most "headphones" that are portable need some sort of amping - I believe you're going for portable since you were talking about your ipod / shures

 

Beyer dt1350 http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-tesla-dt-1350

V-Moda 80s - too lazy to find a review, closed on-ear headphone very nice bass, decent detail retrieval, mids are ok, highs may be a bit dry.

t70p - Probably the closest thing you'll get to a desktop in your price range that is. http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t70p

 

Putting those aside, any headphone can be portable it's just what you can power it with.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/portable-amps

 

take a look at that page.


Edited by azynneo - 10/7/12 at 10:35pm
post #3 of 18

OP, can we get a sense of your music/sound preferences first? 

 

Also, a good start would be here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

 

I second the M-80 recommendation above. They're fairly light, and don't clamp that much. They are on-ears, and the pads can be hard for some though.  As long as you're under 500, it wouldn't do you much harm to look into the newer M-100s as well, although almost nobody has it at this point in time. 

post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 

I listen mostly to JPops and J rocks and I guess anime OST, I listen to game soundtracks and rock as well. I would also use this whenever I want to say play a single player game or a game where I don't voice chat , that is what I would use it for

I am looking at the link right now and from what I can assume , wouldn't buying the DT1350 be the best for me for now? or is there something that the m-80 or m-100 does better to fulfill my need?
 

post #5 of 18

JVC Victor Stereo headphone gunmetal HA-S500-Z, $77

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300788413563

 

 

Different ear pads you can try, both from the same seller

Velvet ear pads for  $13.20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251161248306

These pads (Leather) offer a slightly larger opening, $15.80

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251160088897

 

I ordered both pads, shipping was way faster.

 

These headphones (HA-S500-Z) should work fine plugged straight into the iPod.

Get the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier for use with the laptop.

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

I listen mostly to JPops and J rocks and I guess anime OST, I listen to game soundtracks and rock as well. I would also use this whenever I want to say play a single player game or a game where I don't voice chat , that is what I would use it for

I am looking at the link right now and from what I can assume , wouldn't buying the DT1350 be the best for me for now? or is there something that the m-80 or m-100 does better to fulfill my need?
 

The sound score section on the portable shootout is subjective. Just because the DT1350s are higher doesn't mean they are better for everyone necessarily. I haven't heard the DT1350s, so that's why I didn't say anything about it. People seem to like it a lot, so you can't go wrong with that, either. 

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

JVC Victor Stereo headphone gunmetal HA-S500-Z, $77

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300788413563

 

 

Different ear pads you can try, both from the same seller

Velvet ear pads for  $13.20

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251161248306

These pads (Leather) offer a slightly larger opening, $15.80

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251160088897

 

I ordered both pads, shipping was way faster.

 

These headphones (HA-S500-Z) should work fine plugged straight into the iPod.

Get the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier for use with the laptop.


To this , I can't really buy from ebay anymore since they blocked my paypal account , and I have no actual way to unblock it , do you know where else I can get thead earpads?

post #8 of 18

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. I'm selling my Sennheiser HD-25 for one because I've gotten bored of the HD-25s sound and I just realized I hate Supra Aural Headphones. The COPs are very comfortable and since bass is a guilty pleasure of mine, it seems to do the job quite well. I'm planning on buying one as a portable solution

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. I'm selling my Sennheiser HD-25 for one because I've gotten bored of the HD-25s sound and I just realized I hate Supra Aural Headphones. The COPs are very comfortable and since bass is a guilty pleasure of mine, it seems to do the job quite well. I'm planning on buying one as a portable solution

This. The Custom Ones were really, really good closed cans. Probably my favourite Beyers that I've tried, next to the DT880s (which were also for demo in store at the time). There's a bass port for both cups, which I didn't realize until I though I was getting channel imbalance, lol. At 1-2 notches, the bass was quite tight and satisfying. I could see myself going up to 3 sometimes.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

This. The Custom Ones were really, really good closed cans. Probably my favourite Beyers that I've tried, next to the DT880s (which were also for demo in store at the time). There's a bass port for both cups, which I didn't realize until I though I was getting channel imbalance, lol. At 1-2 notches, the bass was quite tight and satisfying. I could see myself going up to 3 sometimes.

 

I never liked Beyers that much. Bad experience with the DT990 and T1 hahaha. I always thought my HD-25s were quite fun, but the Beyers were on a whole new level. The bass is very satisfying and the option where you can FLIPPINNN change up the bass (overreaction there..) makes it quite the unique headphone. I did the same thing with the channel imbalance LOL. I could see myself using 3 and sometimes 4... I'm turning into a bass addict.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

I never liked Beyers that much. Bad experience with the DT990 and T1 hahaha. I always thought my HD-25s were quite fun, but the Beyers were on a whole new level. The bass is very satisfying and the option where you can FLIPPINNN change up the bass (overreaction there..) makes it quite the unique headphone. I did the same thing with the channel imbalance LOL. I could see myself using 3 and sometimes 4... I'm turning into a bass addict.

Haven't heard the T1s, but the T5ps were REALLY bad. Same goes for DT990. Do they expect us to shred our hearing into oblivion with the gross treble?

 

OP, if you're wanting to get either the COP or DT1350s, please don't lump the T50p into your choices. Completely different, arguably much worse sound. Beyers are sort of hit-and-run with each model.

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hmmm I guess I would try to find this custom one pro, seems like a good choice if two members recommend it, any portable amp to recommend? something that can fit in say a coat pocket(it can fit a 7 Inch tablet) ?


Edited by Retrias - 10/8/12 at 9:18pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Haven't heard the T1s, but the T5ps were REALLY bad. Same goes for DT990. Do they expect us to shred our hearing into oblivion with the gross treble?

 

OP, if you're wanting to get either the COP or DT1350s, please don't lump the T50p into your choices. Completely different, arguably much worse sound. Beyers are sort of hit-and-run with each model.

 

I've heard mixed things about the T5P. The main thing about the T1 was I just kept looking at the HD800s while listening to them... It almost felt "fair" to place the T1 in between the LCD2 and HD800 in terms of differences, but of course the T1 was closer to the HD800 than the LCD2. I kept feeling that the T1s were trying to keep up with the HD800, even though both of them are great headphones.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

Hmmm I guess I would try to find this custom one pro, seems like a good choice if two members reccomend it
 

 

NO don't make the assumption if two members recommend it, it immediately means it's 100% guaranteed. If you can demo them, that would REALLY aid your decision, but if you can't, I really suggest keeping your options available.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post

Hmmm I guess I would try to find this custom one pro, seems like a good choice if two members recommend it, any portable amp to recommend? something that can fit in say a coat pocket(it can fit a 7 Inch tablet) ?

Yeah, I have absolutely no authority or expertise on anything really, so to take my word for it would not exactly be wise. Best you try them out if you seem interested before buying.

 

Generally these phones don't need to be amped. If you want, a good, cheap choice would be the FiiO E11. Good for beginners, generally not too colored (a slight warmth, but that's about it). The new, not yet released E12 is only slightly more expensive (~$120?) and has even more power. Depending on the tablet (iPad, anything with Jelly Bean), you could try and get an USB audio out, and use a inexpensive DAC like the E17 for really nice sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: