Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread - Page 560

post #8386 of 11241
You cable tv babies have no idea how good you had it.

In my day...

There were a total of 7 UHF channels: 17, 23, 24, 26, 29, 30 & 47 Half of those channels were North of our house, and the others were South. Our antenna was on a motor. So, depending on the channel you wanted to watch, you had to turn the control box knob to command the antenna to turn toward the transmitter. It took a couple of minutes for the antenna to move and it went Click, Click, Click, Click... as it marched around the dial.

ABC: 17 & 47
NBC: 23 & 24
CBS: 29 & 30
Independent: 26

There were also local shows on in-between the network shows, so (for example) Popeye might be on Channel 29 at 3:30 PM, but Channel 30 might have something else. But they would both have The Waltons.

Cartoons were only shown at two times: Saturday morning and weekday afternoons - and the weekday afternoon shows were old reruns of Popeye, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, etc. Weekday mornings were shows like Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rodgers for little kids. Sunday mornings had Gumby and Davy & Goliath.



Edited by billybob_jcv - 9/15/13 at 10:00pm
post #8387 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

You cable tv babies have no idea how good you had it.

In my day...

There were a total of 7 UHF channels: 17, 23, 24, 26, 29, 30 & 47 Half of those channels were North of our house, and the others were South. Our antenna was on a motor. So, depending on the channel you wanted to watch, you had to turn the control box knob to command the antenna to turn toward the transmitter. It took a couple of minutes for the antenna to move and it went Click, Click, Click, Click... as it marched around the dial.

ABC: 17 & 47
NBC: 23 & 24
CBS: 29 & 30
Independent: 26

There were also local shows on in-between the network shows, so (for example) Popeye might be on Channel 29 at 3:30 PM, but Channel 30 might have something else. But they would both have The Waltons.

Cartoons were only shown at two times: Saturday morning and weekday afternoons - and the weekday afternoon shows were old reruns of Popeye, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, etc. Weekday mornings were shows like Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rodgers for little kids. Sunday mornings had Gumby and Davy & Goliath.


 

My grandparents had the big motorized antenna.....no cable goes into where the house is, and back then there was no DirecTV/DishNetwork etc.

As a kid I used to watch the Muppet Show and Benny Hill with my grandfather. :biggrin:

post #8388 of 11241

You cable tv babies have no idea how bad you had it.

 

Not a lot of dial-up where I was until later on, but we had loads of TV. Satellite. Was quite proud. At first the entire 6th floor shared, but we got our own later on. Got Korean channels. And a Fuji TV ripoff. This strange channel with a lot of Japanese music as well. One of the biggest parts of my life. Whenever something cool came on I would rush downstairs, and go to one of the 3 record stores to find if they had the cassette tapes imported. A lot of pirated ones. I usually found the wrong tapes. This documentary about Kaoru Abe had come on once as well. Now, when I think about it, it might not have even been Abe, but I grabbed Improvisation, thought it was all noise, kept it anyways because the guy seemed cool (though in hindsight this was as bad a role model as you could find), and slowly revisited it until it grew on me. 

 

For cartoons, strangely apart from Astro Boy and the random Chinese cruft, nothing serious. More of a drama kid. Sandglass. It wasn't as a craze as it was in Korea, and these were re-runs subbed horribly, but still pretty hot. A ton of other dramas and movies. Princess Pearl was one of the more memorable ones. There were even more awful subbed Japanese dramas. Tokyo Love Story - now when I have a proper boxset I realize how awful the subs were. That's probably my top show of all time, period.

 

It was only until I moved to Canada where I found the glorious glory of Escaflowne and Reboot. YTV, good times... And Animaniac reruns. And yeah, all the CN and Nickolodeon. But keep in mind this was Canada - we had to squeeze in the awful filler local shows because the CRTC pushes it.

 

I think Teletoons had this Adult Swim knockoff called the Detour or something. Or I think they changed the name to the Detour later on. That's probably how I turned out into such a sick f***. They played things like Appleseed, and some really risque animation. The people running the program slot had good taste, come to think of it. You know it's good when they have Matrix marathons - with the Animatrix. Remembered being scared out of my mind at the stuff they played.

 

It was always scary on the weekends. They even played that awful original Captain America. That was scary because it was so kitsch.

 

I wonder if that's still a thing. Always good to introduce the good shows to kids, especially when all they were looking for in the first place was some awful Family Guy. But I guess it's more about Youtube now, more than anything.

post #8389 of 11241
You guys had motorized TV antennas? Wow, that was fancy. We had a 15' pole with an antenna on top of it, and I had to go outside and turn it by hand. When the wind would stir up harder than 15mph, there was no TV reception. frown.gif My dad finally fixed that with a clamp, but we never got a motor. I asked him about that one day and he told me, "that's why we have kids".
post #8390 of 11241

lol. That should be a sentence of the month "that why we have kids" :P.

post #8391 of 11241

It's true though. That's why we have kids. Why else would you have kids?

post #8392 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post
 

It's true though. That's why we have kids. Why else would you have kids?

 

To collect welfare checks.... :evil:


Edited by lee730 - 9/16/13 at 1:38am
post #8393 of 11241

So we can pay for motors? That just ain't happening.

 

Printer motors are the most illogically screwed things in history. I swear some of those models were just not meant to be unscrewed.

post #8394 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

To collect welfare checks.... :evil:

 

Sadly, in too many cases, there is truth in that.

post #8395 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 

 

Sadly, in too many cases, there is truth in that.

 

That's why I said it. :P

 

Nothing gets the blood pressure boiling more when the mother is wearing all kinds of Hawaiian jewelry (stuff is very expensive), driving a Cadillac Escalade, loading up the cart with all the best steak you could imagine. Then whipping out the EBT card with no shame.... :rolleyes:

post #8396 of 11241

Hmm....I do like steak and procreation.

 

(don't think of anything morally/ethically wrong kids)

post #8397 of 11241

You would wouldn't you? :smile:

post #8398 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

That's why I said it. :P

 

Nothing gets the blood pressure boiling more when the mother is wearing all kinds of Hawaiian jewelry (stuff is very expensive), driving a Cadillac Escalade, loading up the cart with all the best steak you could imagine. Then whipping out the EBT card with no shame.... :rolleyes:

 

Yep. Exactly. Both my cousins went that route. And they went even further. Apparently even if you're not married (at least in Michigan) you can file for "divorce", in a sense, and therefore each of you can then qualify for certain welfare benefits where both of you combined would add up to over the threshold. So that's exactly what my one cousin did. Not to mention that three of her kids were with a Hispanic guy, hence they get affirmative action benefits. I don't think it's difficult to imagine that the kids seldom see any of that money, and if they do it's to buy them some other useless toy or gadget rather than to educate them.

 

She works restocking the shelves at night at Walmart. She actually trained (at taxpayer expense) to become a dental assistant, got a job, found out that the welfare would go away if she continued working full time, calculated that she would actually make less in this situation than if she just kept the welfare, then badgered her office to give her fewer hours so she could keep under the limit. She finally either got bored or else the dental office got tired of accommodating her, so she quit and got the Walmart job.

 

That's what really gets me mad about the whole thing. She was trained to work in a specific profession, and we paid for that. She had a job in said profession that paid good money. She ditched said job so she could stay on welfare because she could find a way to make that pay more. What's wrong with this picture? Or, honestly, what's right with this picture?!


Edited by Argyris - 9/16/13 at 2:22am
post #8399 of 11241

The fact that she could make more by staying on welfare and working less hard is the problem. At a certain point the incentives to work your ass off really go out the window and people figure why the f$ck not? While I don't agree on the moral aspect of what she is doing. It appears to be within her rights. From a technical standpoint she may even be doing the smart thing although it's not right. But then again the same could be said by many of the elite who take advantage of the system to get even richer. In the end it's generally the middle class and just below it that suffers.


Edited by lee730 - 9/16/13 at 2:25am
post #8400 of 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 Or, honestly, what's right with this picture?!

The steak.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Honestly, that does suck. A family member has been on physio last year, and while he's pretty much fine now, he's still lounging around which has cost us no end in grief. Not that it's beneficial like in your cousin's circumstance. I have half a mind against E.I. in general, but the system here is doing the reverse and is wringing him by the neck. I could go on and on...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

The fact that she could make more by staying on welfare and working less hard is the problem. At a certain point the incentives to work your ass off really go out the window and people figure why the f$ck not? While I don't agree on the moral aspect of what she is doing. It appears to be within her rights. From a technical standpoint she may even be doing the smart thing although it's not right. But then again the same could be said by many of the elite who take advantage of the system to get even richer. In the end it's generally the middle class and just below it that suffers.

If they were going through a life-changing journey and needed the time away from the rat race, I could be more forgiving. I've had the inclination myself. 

 

But alas these are the chops, kid...


Edited by TwinQY - 9/16/13 at 2:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread